FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/06/2019 2:01 PM  #1

Recommendations on a new timing light?

So I'm making a switch from timing tapes and and old school timing lights to an electronic dial back light that I can use to check timing advance.  Really like to hear what you folks favor.  Thanks.

Cheap, Fast, Good:  Pick Any Two

11/06/2019 2:31 PM  #2

Re: Recommendations on a new timing light?

Timing, dial back timing, rpm, voltage, dwell angle, plug in cable, and case.

Multiple cylinder choices and 2/4 stroke engine selection too.

Last edited by Nos681 (11/06/2019 2:35 PM)

11/06/2019 3:12 PM  #3

I've been thinkin of upgrading my timing light as well. After some research, I've chosen the same one that Dan has.

"Those telephone poles were like a picket fence"

11/06/2019 3:26 PM  #4

I got an Innova digital after my 50 year old Chrome craftsman died.

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

11/06/2019 4:17 PM  #5

Heard nothing butt 'terrible' things about dial-back timing lights.
  Most complaints are they are NOT accurate. The very thing you NEED a timing light to be!
My recommendation!........ stick with the timing tape (or a graduated dampner) and an old school/cheap/simple timing light with a decently bright light.
jus say'in
6sal6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

11/06/2019 5:06 PM  #6

Thanks.  I was actually looking at the Innova 5568. 

11/06/2019 5:11 PM  #7

I've heard the same thing Sal. Thought it applied to the older ones with a dial ... not the new digital ones.
Could be wrong butt.

"Those telephone poles were like a picket fence"

11/06/2019 10:55 PM  #8

I use the regular timing, rpm, and voltage.
I use the dial back adjust the do some double checks...I verified it with my summit racing damper for the 289 with engraved timing marks.
You can also turn the light off as well, so it isn’t constantly flashing, especially while adjusting idle speed.

As I recall it will do the preset 90, 180, 270 ...or something to that effect.

Just have to make sure ya don’t accidentally change cycles/ # cylinder.
That may throw you off if you’re not thinking about it.
Ask me how I know.  🤔
This is sufficient for my needs.
I “suffered” with basic timing light for 26 years.

Last edited by Nos681 (11/06/2019 11:10 PM)

11/07/2019 9:09 AM  #9

I have one of the Innova's and a good old fashioned one. Both give same results on basic timing. The digital is sweet though because it makes re-curving a distributor real easy. 

11/07/2019 9:18 AM  #10

DC wrote:

I have one of the Innova's and a good old fashioned one. Both give same results on basic timing. The digital is sweet though because it makes re-curving a distributor real easy. 

Re-curving the distributor is what I got it for.  I have a Duraspark and I've been reading up on how to do it.

11/07/2019 12:14 PM  #11

FYI...Amazon had it listed as 5568 Pro Timing light back in 2015.
Didn’t have the “a” at end.

Perhaps it is the yooper model..eh?

11/07/2019 3:18 PM  #12

jkordzi wrote:

DC wrote:

Re-curving the distributor is what I got it for.  

MY BOY!!!!!!! Good for you.  Been much discussed on here.
6sally6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

11/11/2019 3:42 PM  #13

So I recurved the distributor today using my new Innova 5568 timing light.  I don't know how long it'll hold up, but it's a very nice light.  Simple to use and the dial back feature is very handy.  My Duraspark has the 13L slots, which provides 26 crankshaft degrees.  Combined with my desired 12 degrees initial advance, that resulted in 38 total mechanical advance degrees, which was a little more than I wanted.  So instead of pulling the shaft and welding up the slot, I put three layers of shrink tube over the advance limiter post.  This reduced the advance by 2 degrees.  I also changed both springs to the black (lightest) springs in the Mr Gasket 927G kit.  That still resulted in total advance coming in at 3,500 rpms, so I bent both post a bit until total advance came in at about 2,900 rpms. 

11/11/2019 10:30 PM  #14

Be sure and hang on with both hands when you  "nail-it" for the first time!
Good on you.
6sal6
PS..........38* woulda prolly been OK. The less efficient the heads....the more advance it takes.

11/12/2019 7:13 AM  #15

I purchased the Innova online and it was dead out of the box so I bought a Bosch and it seems to work well.  Good luck with your project.

Bash Host MSBB XVI.       BobC    1966 Mustang Coupe

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.