FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/18/2019 11:00 AM  #1

T-5 swap pedal issue

I've finally started the T-5 swap on my 67 Cpe (C4/289).  Its a factory power brake car.

I've had a Scott Drake clutch pedal in a box for a few years now (c7zz-7519-a) but during a test fit, i found that it sits a good 3/4 inch lower than the brake pedal in the "foot off" position.

What's the deal?  Do i modify this one, or look for a correct fit?

mm 

11/18/2019 12:04 PM  #2

Re: T-5 swap pedal issue

With whatever linkage you will be using attached and mostly adjusted, it should sit higher than the brake pedal. If its free hanging, then lower than the brake pedal might be its resting place. 

There should be a stop at the top for the pedal to rest against too.

John  -- 67 Mustang Coupe 390 5 speed

11/18/2019 12:18 PM  #3

Unfortunately it's not the pedal height so much as the length.

11/18/2019 12:24 PM  #4

11/18/2019 12:27 PM  #5

In the photo, the brake pedal is where it sits with you foot off the brake.

11/18/2019 2:46 PM  #6

What is the measurement of the clutch pedal from the center of the pivot point to the bottom of the metal pad?  I will compare the length to what we have on the shelf.

11/18/2019 3:17 PM  #7

There are 2 pivot points in the pedal bracket for the brake pedal.  Is it possible that your brake pedal is mounted in the upper hole while it should be mounted in the lower hole?  The brake pedals for the upper hole are longer.

1968 T-code Coupe with a 302.  Nice car, no show stopper for sure, but I like it.

11/18/2019 3:28 PM  #8

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but that's how they were from the factory.  The pedals were not even.  I modified mine to be the same level as my brake pedal, but that's tricky because they operate in different arcs, so you have to try and modify them such that they are the same at static pedal height. 

11/18/2019 3:55 PM  #9

Ok, from your picture, it looks right for position. You gonna cut that auto brake pedal??

John  -- 67 Mustang Coupe 390 5 speed

11/18/2019 4:29 PM  #10

Glen:  I'll measure it this evening and post my findings.

Rufus:  The brake pedal is mounted in the upper position, but i'd be concerned about relocating it (if that's possible) as that might change the geometry of the brake push rod.

TKO:  Assuming i end up using this pedal, i'm already lined up to have someone weld the quadrant on it for the MS clutch cable kit, so relocating the pedal pad is an option.

Bolted:  Yup, i'll trim the brake pedal pad, but not until after i've determined that everything else will work.  

11/18/2019 10:51 PM  #11

Glens 1965 50 wrote:

What is the measurement of the clutch pedal from the center of the pivot point to the bottom of the metal pad?  I will compare the length to what we have on the shelf.

Clutch pedal is 13.25 inches

11/19/2019 8:40 AM  #12

The trick to relocating the pad is that you really need to install the setup to mock up the height of the brake pedal so you can adjust the clutch pad location accordingly.  Its a pain for sure, but if its wasn't everyone's would be modified to look right. 

11/19/2019 9:26 AM  #13

The measurement and part number are correct for the clutch pedal.  Unfortunately I have not run across this before.

11/19/2019 9:40 AM  #14

The 1967 and 1968 power brake pedals are different.  If you look at the two power brake pedals on the NPD website and match these photos to your pedal, then it looks like you have the 1968 brake pedal.  Perhaps this is why it is shorter.

1968 T-code Coupe with a 302.  Nice car, no show stopper for sure, but I like it.

11/19/2019 9:55 AM  #15

1968 Power Brake Pedal:

1967 Power Brake Pedal:

Perhaps you could call NPD to ask if the 1968 Power Brake pedal is shorter than the 1967 pedal.

Last edited by Rufus68 (11/19/2019 9:57 AM)

11/19/2019 10:15 AM  #16

I'm attaching a photo of the pedal set I'll be putting in my '68 when I install my T5.  My pedals line up.  One of your two pedals must be for the wrong year since they do not line up.

11/19/2019 9:21 PM  #17

Been through this 100 times. The clutch pedal was longer from the factory. The way you have it sitting is not where it will be when it is in the car.  I will post a pic in next post of a factory installation.
If the pedals are too close together, just decrease the angle of the two bends in the clutch pedal. That will move it to the left and effectively shorten it.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

11/19/2019 9:25 PM  #18

Two different factory original cars shown.  This is how it should look once the assembly is installed in the car.

On manual brake cars, the pedals DO line up. They both pivot from the same shaft, unlike power brake cars where the brake pedal pivots 3” higher in the pedal support.

11/19/2019 9:29 PM  #19

Rufus68 wrote:

I'm attaching a photo of the pedal set I'll be putting in my '68 when I install my T5.  My pedals line up.  One of your two pedals must be for the wrong year since they do not line up.

The above info is incorrect. Manual brake and power brake cars use different brake pedals, but same clutch pedal.

11/19/2019 10:23 PM  #20

The shape of my clutch pedal in my photo is different than the shape of his clutch pedal.  And my clutch and brake pedals line up almost perfectly.  Finally, my first car was a 1968 Mustang with a 3 speed.  The pedals always lined up.  Look at the photos.

11/19/2019 10:26 PM  #21

Here is the photo of a set of pedals for a 1967 on ebay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/1967-Mustang-Manual-Transmission-Clutch-Pedal-Assembly-with-Drum-Brakes/123814812245?hash=item1cd3f01a55:g:fp8AAOSw7HhcHUXr

Notice the shape of the clutch pedal and that they line up.

11/19/2019 10:29 PM  #22

Here is a photo of a 1968 pedal set on eBay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/1968-FORD-MUSTANG-GT-COUGAR-XR-7-CLUTCH-PEDAL-ASSEMBLY-FOR-MANUAL-BRAKES/163744705283?hash=item261ff1eb03:g:LQEAAOSw9etXQIEr
That photo is large but it looks just like my set of pedals and they line up.

The 1967 clutch pedal is different from the 1968 clutch pedal.

11/20/2019 6:20 AM  #23

The power and manual brake pedals are different and use different pivot points in a '67.  The manual pedal will simply not work with power brakes.  The clutch pedal is the same, and I can't say how it would look with a manual brake pedal and a clutch pedal because I never had that setup in my car.  With power brakes the clutch pedal pad sits lower and typically farther out than the brake pedal pad.  I have no idea what they did in '68, it could be completely different. 

11/20/2019 6:14 PM  #24

Sorry, I was not clear. Yes, your pedals line up because you have a manual brake pedal. You stated he had the wrong pedal because they did not line up. That was the incorrect part of your statement. Power brake cars do not line up in 1967-70 Mustangs.

67-68 clutch pedals are same. Big block cars had an extra bracket on the side of the clutch pedal for extra rod clearance. 69-70 clutch pedals are identical, but quite different then 67-68.

See MustangSteve web site for FAQ article showing all the 65-70 pedals.

11/20/2019 10:46 PM  #25

Thank you MS for the clarification.  I did go look at that page as well as all the other photos I could find to really understand the situation.  I don't have any personal experience with Mustangs equipped with manual transmissions paired with power brakes so I didn't realize the pedals did not line up.  I just find it so difficult to believe that the factory would produce such a pedal set.  Since I can weld, if I ever have such a car, I suspect if I had my pedal set out that they would line up when I put them back in.  Since I probably wouldn't want to shorten the length of the clutch pedal, I would most likely add a piece to the brake pedal shaft.  But for now, that isn't a bridge that I'll have to cross.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.