FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/29/2013 7:53 PM  #1

F150 power steering too easy!

Ford not Mustang related, but I have a problem with my 99 F150 4x4 4.6 liter. Steering has suddenly become very easy to turn, this is not a little easy, this is scary easy! Doesn't matter weather its parked or moving. On the road there is no feed back or feel. Doesn't recenter at all. I looked underneath and the only thing I see is the idler is oily, the pump has plenty of fluid. I don't drive it much, has 107,000 and it usually sits in the driveway with an occasional trip to the hardware store or landfill. I think I may have noticed it a few months ago but thought I was crazy,then my father in law drove it and made a comment about how easy it steered. It is definatley malfunctioning. I have googled it and I'm not satisfied with the explanation or lack of, that I have found. It seems that everyone has replaced the steering gear box. My question is how can the gear box fail and make it turn too easy?
Thanks for any help on this.

8/29/2013 8:04 PM  #2

Re: F150 power steering too easy!

KStang wrote:

Ford not Mustang related, but I have a problem with my 99 F150 4x4 4.6 liter. Steering has suddenly become very easy to turn, this is not a little easy, this is scary easy! Doesn't matter weather its parked or moving. On the road there is no feed back or feel. Doesn't recenter at all. I looked underneath and the only thing I see is the idler is oily, the pump has plenty of fluid. I don't drive it much, has 107,000 and it usually sits in the driveway with an occasional trip to the hardware store or landfill. I think I may have noticed it a few months ago but thought I was crazy,then my father in law drove it and made a comment about how easy it steered. It is definatley malfunctioning. I have googled it and I'm not satisfied with the explanation or lack of, that I have found. It seems that everyone has replaced the steering gear box. My question is how can the gear box fail and make it turn too easy?
Thanks for any help on this.

You been using "roids"?!!
6sally6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

8/30/2013 6:40 AM  #3

You say that you googled it,  did you go to this site  http://www.fordf150.net/
I usually go there if I have something that I want to check on my F150.

66 Vert.  4.6 DOHC, 4R70 Auto, Heidt's M2 frontend

8/30/2013 8:59 AM  #4

i'll also add this site, f150online.com is where i go anytime i need help with my F-150.

I can't provide you a good answer for your ps issue but hopefully these sites can.........good luck and may the lack of force be with you.....

8/30/2013 9:29 AM  #5

Thanks for the replies, my roids must really be working!.  I've been to both of those sites, and there are people that describe the same symptoms. I was hoping someone might give an explanation as to how this could occur. I'd hate to replace the gear box to find out it was the pump. So, a general theory and not necessarily specific to this application.

8/30/2013 10:13 AM  #6

KStang wrote:

Thanks for the replies, my roids must really be working!.  I've been to both of those sites, and there are people that describe the same symptoms. I was hoping someone might give an explanation as to how this could occur. I'd hate to replace the gear box to find out it was the pump. So, a general theory and not necessarily specific to this application.

Call the local FoMoCo dealership. Talk to the service manager. MOST of them will tell you right on the phone what they think. Worked for me several times.  If its a simple problem(to them) where a long diagnosis is not involved....they will tell you right away.
6sally6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.