FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/29/2013 1:20 PM  #1

Have an A/C clutch coil question

Can someone tell me how to best check a A/C clutch coil to see if it is good or not.  I have a Sanden A/C compressor on a 351W motor with serpentine set-up.  The clutch slips when A/C is turned on.  It squeals when turned on.  The clearance between the plate and pulley is .024.  I believe the spec is .015 to .030.  The ohms in wiring thru the coil is 3.7 ohms.  On another coil I have on a Sanden, it is 4.1 ohms.  I have good continuity to ground thru mounting of compressor to motor and I have 11 volts at the wire to the clutch when the A/C is turned on.  This is without the motor running.  The compressor is a SD-5, model EC-123PV61AE. Also, does anyone know if the coil for a v-grove pulley compressor is the same as a coil for a serpentine pulley compressor if it is for the same application?  I was told that a serpentine compressor clutch coil is thicker than one that comes with a v-groove pulley. My reason for asking is, I have another compressor with a double grove v-grove pulley if the one I am testing is indeed bad.  Thanks for the help.

"when I drop something, it always goes to center of the car"

8/29/2013 2:05 PM  #2

Re: Have an A/C clutch coil question

When you ask about a pulley coil, I don't know about size. I would have to think a clutch on a V grove pulley system would have to hold just as tight as a clutch on a serpentine system to turn the same compressor. The clutch has to overcome the resistance of the compressor not the pulley system to make things work.

If this forum can't fix it, it isn't broke.

8/29/2013 8:19 PM  #3

That's my thoughts also, but I thought I would ask.  Thanks for the input.

"when I drop something, it always goes to center of the car"

8/30/2013 9:18 AM  #4

Eleven volts sounds low.  At rest, the battery voltage should be about 12.5.  I would suspect that you have some corrosion in a connector to the compressor, or somewhere in that line.  To test, start the motor, turn on A/C, remove connector to compressor coil, run a jumper wire from that connection on the coil back to the battery.  I would use at least 14 ga. wire.  If it still squeals and slips, it's the clutch - most likely the coil.  If the jumper wire "cures" the problem, happy hunting - for the resistance in the original line.
Good Luck

8/30/2013 2:41 PM  #5

retired 65 wrote:

It squeals when turned on.  .

If it's squealing, it sounds like the  compressor might be locked.  If you put a wrench on the clutch hub nut can you turn the compressor by hand?

BB

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.