FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/08/2019 1:59 AM  #1

New Autometer Cobra Tach and Speedo

The WYAI bug bit me.  Started out as a T5 conversion, and now I'm replacing the carpet, putting in new gauges and upgrading to TMI sport seats.

12/08/2019 6:31 AM  #2

Re: New Autometer Cobra Tach and Speedo

I like the look.  I swapped gauges in preparation of my T5 swap as well.  Carpet probably will go in this year after I get my lever parking brake sorted.  I'm sure it will end with the console I've talked about building for 5-6 years too...

As the quote says "I spent half my money on booze and women.  The other half I just wasted". 

12/08/2019 10:31 AM  #3

That looks great. The speedo needle moves backwards from anything I ever had. I bet that will be fun to watch it and the RPM flirt with one another as to go down the road.

John  -- 67 Mustang Coupe 390 5 speed

12/09/2019 3:14 PM  #4

Bolted to Floor wrote:

That looks great. The speedo needle moves backwards from anything I ever had. I bet that will be fun to watch it and the RPM flirt with one another as to go down the road.

I would love that style on my '15 GT.  Having the left side run counter-clockwise means that the low end of your speed is not covered by your hand on the steering wheel.

Original owner - 351w,T-5, 4whl disks, power R&P

12/09/2019 4:06 PM  #5

Speedhut do something similar in a 4"
https://www.speedhut.com/gauges/?catid=f19

"Those telephone poles were like a picket fence"

12/09/2019 4:34 PM  #6

These are both 4" gauges. 

Best of all is that the metal retaining ring for the factory lens can be gently massaged to make a nice tight fit around the body of the gauge, making it very easy to install.  Also, the chrome trim on the autometer gauge fits perfectly inside the stock chrome trim.

You'll notice in the photo that i glued one of the smaller diameter "buttons" to the center of the Autometer lens as a tribute to the original gauges.

12/09/2019 4:37 PM  #7

12/09/2019 9:17 PM  #8

Bolted to Floor wrote:

For those unfamiliar, the counter clockwise speedo was made popular on the Cobras.

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.