FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/12/2019 2:27 PM  #26

Re: The MTM fastback

Nice shoes.

12/12/2019 6:05 PM  #27

Today saw more progress as I was able to install the eddy intake, carb, distributor, partial fuel line setup and fuel pump.  Everything progressed nicely until it was fuel pump install time.....not much room in the fuel pump area so, in the end I just removed the alt, ps pump and bracket.  Once that crapola was out of the way, the install was finished in 10 minutes.  Everything is now back where it belongs and now I'll revisit the Summit Racing site to spend some more of my retirement moo-la on the remaining fuel line parts.....boring pics to follow proving I actually did something today.......

funny fishing poems

Last edited by josh-kebob (12/12/2019 6:07 PM)

12/13/2019 11:13 AM  #28

That's coming along nicely Josh. I've been trying ta work it out ... what does MTM stand for??

"Those telephone poles were like a picket fence"

12/13/2019 12:50 PM  #29

MTM stands for, Mr Tim's Mustang.......

12/13/2019 1:57 PM  #30

You are making great progress Josh. keep it up.

John  -- 67 Mustang Coupe 390 5 speed

12/13/2019 6:58 PM  #31

Bolted to Floor wrote:

You are making great progress Josh. keep it up.

Tank u....hope to make more progress tomorrow....

12/20/2019 4:56 PM  #32

High ho, high ho, off to work on the mustang i go.....today yielded yet a bit more progress on putting this beast back together. Fuel system install now complete....check.  On to finishing the borgesen PS system. Basically I needed a pressure and return hose made.  I'm using the Ford pump, a-la-foxbody style and I purchased the borgesen box adapter fittings so I can use 6-AN fittings at the box.  So, off to the local Parker hose shop today.  Thirty minutes later, I was on my way home go get these dudes installed.....or so I thought.  Seems the tape measure was off or it was me because the pressure hose ended up being too long for my liking.  Once again, off to the hydraulic hose store.....got it shortened and this time the install went smoothly....... I really didn't have anything else going on today so it was no big deal making multiple road trips with the thousands of last minute christmas shoppers and early release high school student drivers.....but, I digress.  Any who, the PS system is now installed........check.  Kudo's again to BB for his no charge technical support....Guess the next step is installing the Lokar TV cable gismo and associated Lokar carb hardware so the Eddy carb and AOD stop dating and become a real couple...After that, I'm moving to finish the Duraspark ignition system and once that's in I may just get crazy and kick the tires and light the fires on this thing.....I'll post a couple of obligatory pics along with a pic of the radiator upgrade install that should have been added to a previous post......

12/20/2019 4:58 PM  #33

12/20/2019 5:02 PM  #34

12/20/2019 5:05 PM  #35

12/26/2019 6:50 PM  #36

Got into a wrestling match with the FB today.......went 6 rounds but this match ain't over. Focused today on hanging all the front sheet metal to include the grille, lower valance, gravel guard, front bumper supports and the dreaded headlight buckets.  Like most, the buckets were cracked in the usual places. Knowing that, I obtained a set of "repair pieces" a la California Pony Cars.  Of course, the buckets didn't want to line up like they should so, had to do some fine tuning. In addition, both fenders had a couple of those "swedged" nuts in the fender missing.....the ones needed to bolt the buckets to.  Ended up harvesting these from a couple spare fenders and fired up the mig......all is well now.  Multiple installs and removals later, finally got these buckets to line up "good enough" for now. The plan is to have them back where they belong by Saturday.  Hopefully that goes well or these buckets may just kick the bucket.  In the meantime, I'll be modding the headlight bowls to accommodate the halogen headlights. If that wasn't enough, the passenger side headlight electrical plug is missing....fortunately I have an extra wire loom so I'll just harvest the plug and make this one new again.  At least with all these installs, my pile-o-parts is getting smaller.  No picks today......too tired, sore and pissed off to even consider taking pics of this frustrating endeavor.....

Last edited by josh-kebob (1/18/2020 9:41 PM)

12/28/2019 4:27 PM  #37

Front end sheet metal is now installed....lower valance, stone guard, headlight buckets and doors, grill assembly and bumper are no longer waiting on a shelf.  That took place yesterday.  Today was able to install the Lokar carb brackets along with the Lokar downshift cable assembly for the AOD.  Lokar provides some very clear instructions.....can't say the same for the Sonnex linkage adapter.....I think a six year old with ADD authored those instructions.  Plug wire set and engine wire harness are ordered...should have them mid week with the goal of firing up the beast by the end of next week.  Bottomline, getting closer to the finish line........not sure I'll ever do this again....

Last edited by josh-kebob (1/03/2020 10:08 AM)

1/02/2020 5:03 PM  #38

Took a few days off since the last knuckle busting session.  Monday was my birthday and my kids were here so, no worky for me.  Tuesday was new years eve so, we all went out and did some things together. Wednesday was recovery day and besides, the weather was pretty chilly.  Today, work progressed on  a couple small items. Replaced the temp sending unit....check.  Next, focused on the throttle linkage. Decided to just build my own with locally sourced parts.  Purchased the "ends" from Advance Auto...a Dorman product that requires 1/4 x 28 TPI nuts and threaded rod. The rod was what proved the most elusive to find as most places only had coarse threaded rod.  However, a really cool, old time hardware store in downtown Huntsville had what I needed. The last piece was a length of 5/16 brake line. I used this to cover the exposed threads on the rod and give it a cleaner look.  Didn't take much time to cut and fit and the end result looks and functions well.  Pictures to follow showing the parts, the assembly and the install.  Now, when my Summit, CJ, and NPD orders arrive, I'll be on the cusp of an initial engine start.....probably next week.....

Last edited by josh-kebob (1/03/2020 10:10 AM)

1/18/2020 3:38 PM  #39

Finally got back to wrenching after taking a break to drive Mrs JKB to Houston for her MD Anderson checkup.  Scans and labs came back good so, treatment continues to keep the cancer at bay.  Now on to the regularly scheduled program......

Picked up a set of Ford Racing plug wires and spent most of  one afternoon cutting them to length and crimping the ends and installing the boots.  Don't believe I want to do that job for a living, just glad its over.  Mounted the coil and ran the wires and loom for the DuraSpark ignition.  Time, daylight and my back ran out so, there's still some electrical clean up work to do before this item is checked off the to do list.    

Here's the semi finished product.......

1/18/2020 3:52 PM  #40

Next, this old girl had a gap in her grille.  Do I have the trim piece cap?? Of course i do.  Do I know where to find it in my stash?? Of course I don't.  So, after Mrs JKB's MD Anderson appointment, I swung by Johns Mustang parts and picked one up. Decided to go with a FOMOCO part vs aftermarket.  Reviews indicate the stud on the aftermarket pieces likes to break off easily. Paid a little more but at least I have the real deal. I'll probably find the one in my stash 3 weeks after this one is installed.  

'

1/18/2020 4:00 PM  #41

Summit came through with new wheels and Discount Tire had the honor of mounting the BFG Radial TA's....now it's starting to look like a Mustang again.  Weather is turning cold and I'll have company for the next five days so, Mustang work will have to wait awhile...........

2/06/2020 5:06 PM  #42

I like to educate people and today was no exception. So, this afternoon I educated my neighbors on the sound of a rebuilt 5.0 in a '66 Fastback sporting only hipo exhaust manifolds!! You should have been here Sal.....

Anyway, no leaks and good oil pressure. I'll be resuming my continuing eduction program tomorrow as I tune/fine tune. Now, I'm simply going to go hit the recliner.......

2/06/2020 9:18 PM  #43

Nice!!!

2/08/2020 11:16 AM  #44

My continuing education program resumed today. I was having an issue with getting the FB to run smooth/idle like it should. I double checked all plug wires, firing order...both were fine. Thinking I may not have stabbed the dizzy correctly, I rechecked that as well. It was good. Humm..fired it up again with same results. But this time when it shut down, I noticed a wisp of smoke/vapor rising from behind the carb. Checking that out, I discovered on the back of the eddy carb, I hadn't plugged the threaded port...duh. Made a dash to the parts store, installed plug and viola...runs like it should!!
Sharing my mistake so this doesn't happen to someone else. 
Tuesday, it's heading to the muffler shop.....
to the delight of my neighbors....

Last edited by josh-kebob (2/08/2020 11:18 AM)

2/10/2020 3:54 PM  #45

Off to the muffler shop in the morning

2/14/2020 2:58 PM  #46

Josh- Kebob,
So how awesome does the Fastback sound.

Cman66

2/14/2020 6:02 PM  #47

So, it now is sporting dual exhaust, no H pipe with walker dynaflow 3 mufflers, part number 22430. Purchased from Summit. Sounds good at idle and fairly quiet in the cabin. The older I get, the quieter I like it...

Last edited by josh-kebob (2/14/2020 9:51 PM)

2/26/2020 3:24 PM  #48

Took a while longer than I thought but, now I have the blower installed. Required a few more mods under the hood but all in all it was worth it.  Speaking of hoods, wasn't really too keen on cutting a hole in my nos hood...too late now. Used the wheel of death cutting disc on the grinder....more updates later...

2/26/2020 9:03 PM  #49

josh-kebob wrote:

but, now I have the blower installed.

You messing with us to see if anyone's paying attention?

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

2/27/2020 6:51 PM  #50

I have to agree with BB2, a blower, cutting the hood. Are we gonna see a 671 blower sticking out of the hood at the bash? Inquiring minds want to know.

Gary Zilik - Pine Junction, Colorado - 67 Coupe, 289-4V, T5

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.