FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/10/2020 8:19 PM  #1

Replaced my oil presure sending unit and..........

Although it's what the "parts counter guru" said the computer called for.........and it looks like the old one that went bad.....the hole in the bottom of it is smaller than the old one! Now, when I run the engine my oil pressure is all the way over to the H mark! (I got oil pressure like a 'Shivel-ley motor')
Reckon having the needle pegged will hurt any thing----should I go get another one---should I try to drill out the hole some-----should I adjust my little home made CVU hickey that supplies the correct current to my gauges----leave it be???
Not sure which is the best path.
6sal6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

1/10/2020 8:29 PM  #2

Re: Replaced my oil presure sending unit and..........

What was wrong with the old sending unit

1/10/2020 9:29 PM  #3

It just quit!  Gauge works (I checked that)
Just crunk-it-up (Alabama talk! (8  ) one day and the gauge just set there.
Afterward..........I thought about trying to flush out the old one to see what happens!?
6sal6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

1/10/2020 9:52 PM  #4

Did you buy some cheap aftermarket chinese replacement or Motorcraft?

1/11/2020 5:36 AM  #5

If your other gauges haven't changed, then it's not your cvr.   

1/11/2020 8:04 AM  #6

I,da thought you’d have a real oil pressure gauge with numbers on it Mike! 

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

1/11/2020 6:34 PM  #7

Texas! wrote:

Did you buy some cheap aftermarket chinese replacement or Motorcraft?

Advance Auto parts finest......  The old one was NOT FoMoCo so........

Since the gauge just reads H  or  L....(instead of actual pressure numbers) I guess it just tells me "I-got-some-oil-pressure"  vs how much. May be all I can hope for.
6s6

1/12/2020 12:33 AM  #8

Is it possibly a sending unit for a light and not a gauge
Cman66

1/12/2020 7:29 AM  #9

If it pegs the gauge, it is wrong one or defective. It will harm the gauge. Size of the hole should not matter.   Be sure the sender wire is not grounding to the case of the sender.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

1/12/2020 11:13 AM  #10

The 3 Ford gauges (Oil Pressure, Water Temperature, Fuel Quantity) all work in the same resistance range of 10-73 ohms. 73 ohms is the bottom end of the scale (L,C, E) and 10 ohms is the high end of the scale (H, H, F). So you could actually use the Fuel gauge in place of your Oil Pressure gauge to verify the gauge is working properly.
To test the new O.P. sending unit remove the wire from the center stud and place one probe of an Ohmmeter on the stud. Hold the other lead on the base of the sending unit. With the engine off you should see about 73 ohms resistance. Now start the engine and repeat the test. If you now read 10 ohms or less your sending unit is out of tolerance. Even with cold oil the gauge should not peg on H which equates to 10 ohms.

Last edited by Texas! (1/12/2020 11:16 AM)

1/12/2020 5:16 PM  #11

Well.........upon closer examination yesterday..........the needle ain't pegged.
It is on the better side of mid way butt-knot hard up again the stobb on the guage
6s6

1/13/2020 11:06 PM  #12

Measure resistance from sender to ground.

What do ya get?

While running?
While off?

What was the part number?

Last edited by Nos681 (1/13/2020 11:09 PM)

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.