FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/13/2020 2:34 PM  #1

Carb'd 351w swap to FI 302 H.O. - Will I be disappointed?

I've had a midly rebuilt '70 model 351w in my 65 coupe for nearly 20 years.  Basically stock other than Holley 670 SA carb, Edelbrock Performer Intake, mild cam, & Headman shorty swap headers.  Mated to a T-5 with Foxbody bell housing and cable clutch conversion.  I started noticing a squeal when the clutch was disengaged.  I discovered the thrust bearing had chewed into the crank, creating excessive end-play.  I believe the squeal was the crank scraping on the back of the main cap.

My best guess to the cause is I've been adjusting the clutch cable too tight, putting excessive continuous forward force on the crank???  Other than that, I'm not sure what could have caused it.  

I'm not sure how much collateral damage has been done to the engine beyond the crank and main bearings.  It was running fine otherwise.  Not sure if I can get away with just a new crank and main/rod bearings.  I have not dismantled it any further than the oil pan and thrust bearing main cap.

I have a Foxbody 5.0 donor car that is all stock. I contemplated swapping the 5.0 roller motor in place of the injured 351w to get the car going again.  It also might be fun to experiment with fuel injection to change the car up a bit after 20 years.  I'd likely leave the motor basically stock initially to work the bugs out while I look for a deal on heads, intake, etc.

I don't have much experience to go on other than the 351w.  I know the fuel injection is going to require some ancillary expenses to the fuel system among other things.  I hate to go through all that to only be disappointed and constantly chasing the torque that the larger engine provided.  Am I going to be sorely disappointed in the fuel injected 5.0 after being accustomed to the carb'd 351w?

1/13/2020 5:40 PM  #2

Re: Carb'd 351w swap to FI 302 H.O. - Will I be disappointed?

Prolly.
Cammed up 351 compared to a 302!?.I'm betting a large drop in torque.
Let us know your final descision.
6sally6

What part of the country are you from?

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

1/13/2020 5:55 PM  #3

Its a tough question to answer.  The big reason is, what's a mild cam?  What heads are on the engine?

I will say this, an EFI 5.0 was a torque monster in its own right.  Stock they made like 225HP and 300 lbs/ft.  Peak torque was at 3,200, but from having driven them extensively I'd bet the torque curve before that was about like that of a Diesel; flat.  Keep in mind, those numbers don't seem that impressive, but those are real numbers; net HP.  These aren't the optimistic gross numbers used in the '60s and '70s. 

The big question is how much power does what you have put out.  In general gross HP was about 15% optimistic vs. net, though it can be worse.  A stock 4 barrel 351 was about 300HP and 380 lbs/ft.  Knock that down by 15% and you're looking more like 255/323.  Not too far off a stock 5.0.  Now, your 351 may be turned up a bit, so if we say you added maybe 20HP with some upgrades might be more in the 275/350 range.

What I can say is that a cam swap and some other tweaks to a 5.0 can get you 50HP relatively easily.  I think you'll still be down on torque comparatively, but not that bad, especially with shorty headers.  If you've got the coin for decent heads you can make that 5.0 a real screamer. 

Of course, you could do all that to the 351 too, provided its not a total loss.  I'd start by seeing exactly what's up with it and what it would cost to repair.  You can always add EFI to the 351.  5.0 and 351 use the same firing order, though the EFI manifold for the 351 can be expensive. 

1/13/2020 6:57 PM  #4

I know I’m asking a bit of an ambiguous question. I’m under no preconceived notion that the 302 is going to be stouter than the 351. It’s just something I have available as an alternative and I’d be open to upgrading the 302 as time goes on with heads, cam, intake, etc. 
I have the cam specs somewhere for the 351, but it’s been a long time since I’ve looked at it. The machine shop that did the machine work picked and supplied the cam for me. That was about 18 years ago so it’s tough to remember the details.  I didn’t really know (still don’t) anything about spec’ing cams so I just told them I wanted something with good street manners. It had a slight lope to it but by no means a ground pounder. It would still idle fine at 6-700 rpm. The heads are stock 69 or 70 351w heads with all stock valve train. Never dyno’d it so I don’t know exactly what it made.  It ran fine on premium fuel but pinged awful with regular. I do remember the engine was bored 30 over but other than that it wasn’t anything radical. So I’d say your estimate of 20-30 hp over stock is very realistic.  It was stout enough to be fun but not the fastest car on the road either.

I do plan to take tear the 351 down at some point before deciding exactly what to do. For now it’s on the back burner for a bit. When I found that issue I just needed to walk away for a bit. A big factor will be if the block needs bored much more. I know it’s already 30 over.

1/13/2020 7:03 PM  #5

I would also check out the 5.0 to make sure it seems healthy before committing to going that route. Haven’t done a compression test or anything on it yet. For now I’m just thinking out loud.

1/14/2020 4:28 PM  #6

The front of many of the aftermarket cams I've seen have the technical info stamped into them.  Just take off the front cover of the engine and check.

Original owner - 351w,T-5, 4whl disks, power R&P

1/15/2020 5:58 AM  #7

The 5.0, if its EFI will have E7TE heads most likely, unless its an '86 model year engine.  The E7TEs are probably a bit better than the stock heads on the 351, particularly at low lift.  If the cam idles fine at 600-700RPM its got to be pretty close to a stock grind, likely ground for low end torque more so than top end power.  A stock 5.0 EFI cam is also likely better, if for no other reason than that its a roller, so it will have better area under the curve.

I think the only real difference will be the additional 49 cubic inches the 351 has on the 302.  I'd guess its worth about 20-25lbs/ft.  Not insignificant by any means.  Seat of the pants that's going to feel like something, but its probably one of those things where if you ran the car down a track with both engines the actual 1/4 mile time would probably be pretty close, maybe 0.20 seconds difference. 

1/15/2020 6:41 AM  #8

Tough question. With 49 extra cubic inches no doubt about it making more low end torque. The E7 heads are probably not much better then the 351W heads unless the 351 heads are the 77 & later 69cc chamber. I think perhaps the 5.0 in stock form may give a better power balance. One plus for the 5.0 is that it's about 75 pounds less weight on the front wheels. This is going to make your car handle better.

Personally I like a good handling car and for that reason I'm running a 5.0. More specifically a GT40P with a Mustang 5.0 cam. It's nothing special or expensive but it sure runs great. It has a very broad torque band thanks to the Mustang cam and pulls well to about 5500 before the cam starts running out of steam. The heads aren't. Throw a good set of heads on that 5.0, you just may like it a lot more then the 351W.

I'm not a complete idiot.....pieces are missing. Tom

1/15/2020 12:49 PM  #9

Thank you all for your input.  I know there's no definitive answer.  Really just asking from a big picture perspective of those that have some experience with both engines...not trying to get into too many gritty details.  This was my first and only car build so far.  I bought it as a roller in '99 and the 351w is all I've ever known. The car is strictly a driver so I'm not concerned with track times...just fun factor.  The 351 is a '70 model block with '69 or '70 model heads on it for those wondering.

First order of business when I'm ready to get back to work on it will be to pull the 351 and tear it down for inspection to see if the damage extends beyond the crank and bearings.  In theory, I suppose the filter should have prevented any metal from being circulated anywhere else but that may be wishful thinking.

1/15/2020 3:16 PM  #10

Check your harmonic balancer for slipped outer ring. I had one once on a 351 that moved and caused scraping noise exvept when the clutch was depressed.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

1/15/2020 3:26 PM  #11

My experience with my 66 coupe,

The first time I got it completed and on the road, I had a rebuilt 5.0 roller cam motor (1990) with a Ford E-cam, stock 5.0 heads, an aluminium dual plane manifold, Autolite 4100 carb (480 cfm), long tube headers.

The second time, I had a 351w, roller cam conversion, aluminum heads, 10-1 compression, dual plane manifold, 750 cfm carb, long tube headers, lots of cam.

The third time I had a stroked 351w (393), roller cam, AFR heads, 10.8-1 compression, dual plane manifold, 750 cfm carb with mech secondaries, long tube headers, and even more cam.

All the motor configurations were with a T5 5-speed, and a 8" rear with 3.80 gear and locker. other than the upper control arm drop, and bigger sway bar and all of the suspension parts new. 5-mid leaf rear springs, and cal-trac bars, all the suspension was stock design. The coupe had 15" wheels with 205 front and 245 rear. I never abused the T5 and with only a 245 street tire, it held up fine.

With each motor, the car was less fun to drive, largely due to compression and cam. With a 245 rear street tire and 3.80 gear, the 5.0 would blow the tires off anytime I chose to do so. The 5.0 would rev to 6000 rpm very fast and was a blast to drive around. It always seemed well balanced for the rest of the car. With each motor change I gained power and torque, but none of it was usable with the rest of the configuration I had.

My point is, unless you plan to do extensive suspension, steering, and brake upgrades (changes), a well built 5.0 (306) is a great match for a first generation coupe. If I had both and had to choose between a 5.0 roller motor or a 351 flat tappet, I would choose the roller motor, and there are a lot of cams out there better than the Ford E-cam, just what I chose back in the day.

1/15/2020 3:50 PM  #12

MS wrote:

Check your harmonic balancer for slipped outer ring. I had one once on a 351 that moved and caused scraping noise exvept when the clutch was depressed.

Thanks for this suggestion. I wish that was the problem but I’ve pulled the oil pan and confirmed that the crank is grooved at the thrust bearing wear surface. There main cap is marked where the crank was rubbing. With this groove cut into the crank, crank end play was roughly 1/16”...way above spec.

My scraping noise was only with the clutch disengaged. Noise went away once I let off the clutch pedal.

Last edited by eleanor_350 (1/15/2020 3:57 PM)

1/15/2020 5:05 PM  #13

Thanks, kardad. That’s very helpful first-hand information. A little background on the rest of my car: stock style rebuilt suspension with poly bushings, Shelby drop, 620 coils, stock height 4 leafs, stock rebuilt steering (manual with ps box), T5z, MS cable clutch conversion, MS power brake conversion, SSBC stock style disc brakes, 9” with 3:50 gear, 17” wheels. Nothing radical but all systems have been freshened up.

The 351 is all I’ve ever had in the car. I’m far from an expert mechanic but I try to learn and do the best I can.  There’s a few things I’ve never liked about the 351.  It’s had a hot start issue since day 1 that I never could fully resolve. Tried a multitude of timing settings, float adjustments, etc that helped but never totally fixed it. My best defense was a high torque starter and cracking open the hood if I new I’d be starting it again soon.  I never felt like the engine was radical enough to require a high torque starter. I always wondered if part of it was simply an oversized engine in an undersized bay.  Also, intake and header choices are very limited to fit the 351 in the early cars. None of this bothered me enough to want to swap engines but this relatively major issue with the crank has me considering my options.

1/15/2020 5:27 PM  #14

Try wrapping the starter in a reflective blanket.  The starter is probably heat soaking from the headers causing the resistance to skyrocket. 

1/15/2020 5:45 PM  #15

TKOPerformance wrote:

Try wrapping the starter in a reflective blanket.  The starter is probably heat soaking from the headers causing the resistance to skyrocket. 

I had a heat soak problem with my 351/long tube headers.  I got to the place where I could change out the starter in about 15 min with a hot car.  Solution was a reflective blanket and shorty headers that were farther away from the starter than the long tubes.

Oh, in addition - I think the 351 LOOKS better than the SBF in the engine compartment. I like the esthetics of that big iron.  And it still handles good enough with that extra weight.

Last edited by lowercasesteve (1/15/2020 5:48 PM)

Original owner - 351w,T-5, 4whl disks, power R&P

1/16/2020 7:36 AM  #16

If you decide to go the 5.0 route I'd suggest maybe thinking about different heads. I've had a 85 5.0 4V Mustang LX with a 5 speed. That ran real well. In my 66 I installed a junkyard Explorer GT40P with a Mustang 5.0 cam. It runs a whole lot better! Maybe look for a set of either GT40 or GT40P heads. The GT40 will just swap out. The GT40P heads are a little better. Their problem is a different plug angle which interferes with most headers. There are some specific P headers and there's some off the shelf that work. The nice thing about these heads is that they are factory heads and everything fits and bolts on. They're direct bolt on no extra or special parts to buy. The P head was used longer in production and probably what you're going to find mostly.

Nothing wrong with aluminum heads but they are going to cost more. Typically you will need to add in the cost of hardened pushrods and roller rocker arms. With the GT40 or GT40P you're just reusing the stock pushrods and rocker arms. A word of caution. Find a good set that you can use as is. Like any factory cast iron head by the time you rebuild them you'll have a fair amount of money invested and maybe time to compare costs of aluminum heads. By just reusing a set of factory heads, you keep costs in check and not spiraling out of control.

I'm not sure how much power my motor makes. It really wasn't a concern for a specific number just something that was dead nuts reliable and ran well. Not my claim but others have said the GT40P with the 5.0 cam makes about 300 hp. No idea if that's true. I thought maybe 270ish. What ever it runs very well

Last edited by Huskinhano (1/16/2020 7:37 AM)

1/16/2020 3:34 PM  #17

Counterpoint on the GT40s.  A good upgrade for a stock engine.  BUT, if you want to make more power later they will quickly become a limiting factor.  They don't tolerate much valve lift stock (P heads are even worse due to the exhaust valve rotators).  They force you to use pedestal rockers, which are both weak and expensive.  A lot of the ones scored in junk yard turn out to be cracked.  They're iron, so they limit your compression to about 1 point less than you could safely run with aluminum heads on the same fuel.  Aluminum heads also weight about 50lbs less, improving front/rear weight bias and shedding weight (good for handling and acceleration). 

Sure, they can be ported, etc., but by the time you start to add up the costs of all the work you could buy a better set of heads for the same cost, something like Edelbrocks.

There's some truth to the GT40 heads on a 5.0 makes 300HP.  But, that's an EFI engine with the right matching parts.  Does it work?  Yes, the '94-'95 Cobras were rated t 300HP, BUT they had 24lbs injectors, a different MAF, a different intake, a different computer, a different TB, etc.  On a carb engine you will make less torque and therefore less HP.  Though 275HP-280HP is likely realistic. 

1/16/2020 7:27 PM  #18

The 5.0 Cobras were 240 hp. The exhaust rotators are a non issue. The fix is simple and cheap. Specific keepers are made that allow the use of regular retainer and spring. That's what I'm using along with .540" springs. I don't buy into that argument aluminum allowing a full point more. I say the reason aluminum heads can use run more compression is due to superior combustion chamber design. David Frieburger of Hot rod question that argument as well. He took a SBC with 2 sets of World Product heads that were identical in every way, port, valve and combination chamber and design. What David found out is that both heads made exactly the same power and liked the same timing. Cast iron is a excellent conductor of heat. Is his argument true? Is the statement aluminum heads due to material allow higher compression true?

Going to aluminum heads you also need to factor in hardened pushrods, roller rocker arms, good exhaust and matching intake. What about a camshaft? Otherwise you're choking off your investment. All extra money.

My whole point of the GT40/P heads was simply to compliment his current stock 5.0 cheaply for minimal expense.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.