FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/19/2020 9:32 PM  #1

1966 mustang with 69 24" radiator swap

Hello
Im looking to do the 1969 radiator swap into my 66 as described on the mustang steve article.

It says that if you have a passenger side lower hose to use the radiator for a 1969. Im running a 289 with normal water pump and belts it does have the lower hose on PS side.

When I look at radiators like Griffen the part number is the same for both the 69 and 70. What exactly am I looking for in the 69 24" radiator? Not Cross flow? one with both upper and lower hose on the PS side?

I run a cross flow radiator now and had to build a hose using 2 different hoses with a coupler in the middle. Im assuming this is what we are trying to avoid with the 69 radiator.

Is there really no hose solutions for a 289 and a cross flow setup?

Thanks

2/19/2020 9:56 PM  #2

Re: 1966 mustang with 69 24" radiator swap

Welcome to FYIFORD.

The 69 has the lower hose on passenger side. The 70 has it on the driver side. THAT IS PRETTY MUCH THE ONLY DIFFERENCE in the two radiators.

I have a 1970 style 24” Griffin in my 66 and the lower hose is on the driver side.  Your option on a 289 to get the lower hose on the driver side is to convert to a 70 water pump, but that also requires different alternator, power steering and AC brackets, balancer markings, pulleys and timing pointer. In some cases, timing cover is different. Pulley offeet is typically different, and you may have to custom fit some stuff together.  You can get creative to make something work.  If you only have an alternator alone, the 70 water pump swap is fairly easy.  Let us know exactly what you have and we can better advise.  Pics always help.

Some early radiators having both hoses on the same side have a diverter fin in the upper tank that forces water coming in through the upper hose connection over to the opposite side of the tank before it circulates downward to the core.  Not sure if the 69 Griffin version has that feature or not.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

2/19/2020 11:51 PM  #3

Thanks Steve!

So The 69 has BOTH hoses on the passenger side correct?
How much cooling performance would I be giving up by having both upper and lower on the PS?
By cross flow I meant that the upper and lower horses are crossed its still a down flow radiator.
Thanks again!

2/20/2020 8:18 AM  #4

Contact the radiator manufacturer on their construction as some do place baffles internally.  Whether you go PS or DS lower hose, the result will be substantially better than the narrow stocker in the 66.  I have/had a supplemental install thread in the tips and tricks.  I went with the big block radiator which has DS outlet and is thicker than the small block radiators.  There were a cascading series of changes I had to make but it all works now.  All the pictures in the thread are lost to tiny pics.  If you would like the pictures, send me a message with your email address and I'll send them to you.

2/20/2020 8:52 AM  #5

Do a search on cjpony parts for 24" radiator for 1969 mustang. They list/show pics of stock and aluminum style rads. So, Bob's your uncle on which one you want. I did this mod on my 66 using stock style for a '70 due to my h20 pump configuration...

2/20/2020 1:31 PM  #6

When I put in the 351w, the stock 289 rad was still in.  I was able to take it to a radiator shop and they moved the opening to the other side.  It worked fine awaiting the new, bigger radiator to be installed.  That works well enough thru the cool days only.

Original owner - 351w,T-5, 4whl disks, power R&P

2/20/2020 5:24 PM  #7

Im pretty sure I want to go  back to using the PS lower hose. I bet the difference isnt worth the trouble especially since I should have plenty of spare cooling capacity.

Ill also check for internal baffles as well. 

Thanks for all the useful Input. Ill keep you guys posted with how it goes.

Last edited by GunJam (2/20/2020 5:24 PM)

2/20/2020 5:36 PM  #8

GPatrick wrote:

Contact the radiator manufacturer on their construction as some do place baffles internally.  Whether you go PS or DS lower hose, the result will be substantially better than the narrow stocker in the 66.  I have/had a supplemental install thread in the tips and tricks.  I went with the big block radiator which has DS outlet and is thicker than the small block radiators.  There were a cascading series of changes I had to make but it all works now.  All the pictures in the thread are lost to tiny pics.  If you would like the pictures, send me a message with your email address and I'll send them to you.

The big and small block radiators were same with exception of inlet/outlet size/position.  Same tanks and frame. Could be had two or three row core.  Shrouds were different.

I always like to get radiators with stock-appearing tanks that have the proper mounting indentations in the upper and lower tanks so factory type mounts can be utilized. Radiators with cheaper, squared off type will not work properly with the 67-68 upper clamp style mounts.

2/20/2020 5:58 PM  #9

Thats good to know.

I have been running electric fans on my mustang for many years. The car is setup now for electric fan(s) and I wish to continue doing so is there a fan / shroud combo that any of you have had success with? I liked this one but I suspect its too thick at 4" to fit https://www.summitracing.com/parts/spu-ix-30102052/requiredparts

Thanks!

2/20/2020 9:03 PM  #10

You can move the radiatoe to the FRONT of the radiator support.   I did and gained a little space between the WP and rad. I had the worng WP (long snout) on it!  grrrrrr!!
6sal

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

2/20/2020 10:00 PM  #11

Seems like there was a Ford Contour or some other version of dual electric fan that would fit. The 17” mechanical flex fan and stock shroud cools my 500hp 427 in my 66 just fine, though.

2/20/2020 10:24 PM  #12

Good to know!

I ran a Norther brand radiator daily for just about 10 years until it started to accumulate buildup in the cores and cooling performance started to drop off. I never had any issues with that radiator. I then switched to US radiator that leaked about 10 months after installing it and by the time I got around to dealing with it it was out of warranty...Ive just been adding water to it for the past few years. Its a very slow leak but a leak none the less (about equivalent to steam vapor from a pin hole right under the upper hose)

I know the Griffen radiator is recommended but its going to cost well over 800. The Norther radiator is about 350 less than half the cost. Im suspicious that the Griffin is actually a bit more than twice as good. I know in many cases with much of the stuff I deal with that it makes the most sense to buy one notch down from the "best" in many cases you'll ply 45 to 60% more for a 8 to 15% increase in performance and quality. Sometimes this makes sense but it may not in this case since I dont plan to push that radiator to 95% of its performance....in most cases I suspect it will barley have to work compared to what I have now to keep the car cool going from point A to point B...yes it may see some track time but not often. 

Is the Norther as good as it was 15 years ago? Is there a 2nd best radiator that kind of meets my above example if the norther is crap now?

Thanks
-Gun

2/20/2020 11:37 PM  #13

I've heard good things bout ACP.
https://buyacp.com/radiator/parts/cooling-system/?Make=Ford&Model=Mustang&Year=1969

Last edited by 50vert (2/20/2020 11:40 PM)

"Those telephone poles were like a picket fence"

2/21/2020 11:32 AM  #14

Welcome GunJam.

FYI, Between my 289/c4/carbed and my 5.0/t5/efi I am still using an aluminum 2 row (1” tubes) radiator by Northern, from Summit Racing about 10 years ago.
I looked today and looks very similar to their Summit brand for 65/289.
I haven’t had any overheating issues.
I also run a 14” electric fan...if I remember correctly about 1500ish cfm.
It’s thicker than my previous 16” but my 16” wouldn’t fit in the core space of new radiator.
Definitely had not planned on that at time.
It’s been working well for my use...summer driver/cruiser.

Nothing wrong about a wider radiator, great idea.
I would get the largest 2 row that will fit.
65/66 have limited space between core support and water pump shaft.

Just make sure to consider overall thickness of radiator and fan setup to match the space available.
And good luck on your project(s)...I’m sure ya have more.😁

2/21/2020 11:59 AM  #15

The Norther brand that I bought was fantastic it would have been very hard to beat even by a system that was twice as expensive. It cooled well and lasted 10 years for daily driving the only issue was it developed buildup in the cores...
I would buy another Norther brand right now IF i knew it was the same thing. My concern is that Norther is NOT the same thing as it was 10 years ago. I suspect the only thing similar is the name ive been looking to see if this is true or not.

2/21/2020 4:36 PM  #16

I am a fan of all mechanical for the reliability, but the dual fan set-up from a V6 Ford Contour is thin and works and fits well and is bargain priced.

2/22/2020 11:53 AM  #17

If I had a normal engine like a 289 or 302, the acp likely would have been a good choice.  They have the correct tanks so the factory “clamp-in” brackets will work for a factory appearance.

2/28/2020 10:01 PM  #18

I went with the Norther 24" radiator. It looks well built. It also does not look like its going to fit reasonably  (this would be true for any brand not an issue with northern)

I was under the impression that it would mount to the area of the core support that was left after trimming. I see this is not the case. It looks like there is perhaps .75" of fins on each side that wont be utilized. 

Now I understand better why the 70's style bracket mounts are used.

When installed it appears that when moved as far forward as possible the fins will first contact the core support that was trimmed. What are you guys placing between the radiator and the core support to fill the gap as im sure you'll want to leave about 1/8" to prevent the rad from touching any metal.

Thanks

2/28/2020 10:10 PM  #19

I didn't leave a space between my rad and the support. Don't give that air ANY place to go butt thru the radiator.......is my thinking!
6sal6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

2/28/2020 10:14 PM  #20

Right that makes sense..you dont want air going around the rad.
But you're not worried that vibrations will cause damage to areas where the core support touches the rad? Isnt it touching on fins? The metal mounting flange hangs well past either side of the core support right?

2/29/2020 8:04 AM  #21

Not really!
You could always put some little rubber bisquets between the support and the radiator..Mine doesn't touch the FINS to the support. When in doubt...trim it out!!
Seriously....send  coupla pics so we can see what you doing.
6sally6

2/29/2020 8:28 PM  #22

With the 70s battery tray installed and the 66 mounting bracket welded per the Mustang Steve write up here is where im at. 

The drivers side has much more overhang than the PS. Im not sure yet why this looks so much worse than all the other installs ive read up on before.

Overall dimensions 19 7/8 x 25 1/2 x 3 1/8

Last edited by GunJam (2/29/2020 8:36 PM)

3/01/2020 8:35 AM  #23

That radiator is designed to clamp in place through support of top and bottom tanks, NOT bolted in on the sides.  If you do away with the correct mounting, you will have a failure on your hands after it vibrates itself to death. Ditto if touching anywhere. One main reason to use this particular factory radiator is to mount it using the factory 67-68 mounts. It allows the radiator to float in rubber mounts.

But, if you have developed a better way to mount it, please advise.

3/01/2020 8:43 AM  #24

Have you enlarged the support opening for more air flow?
6sal6

3/01/2020 11:01 AM  #25

Yes I have correct mounts for the 70 style mustang both upper and lower and I do plan to use them.

I have not yet enlarged the support opening. I actually spent most of yesterday repairing the battery tray floor as it was rusted through. I cut out the offending area and bent, trimmed and welded a new piece in. In case you were wondering that is a difficult area to tig weld in

I didn't want to cut anything yet until I was pretty sure I was on the right track. What I really need to do is measure some stuff and I suspect the battery tray is causing me problems. With the tray installed I can not get the radiator to sit center in the vehicle. In all the photos Ive seen it appears that the rad cap lines right up with the center of the hood latch and/or has equal distance on each side of the core support.  Is that correct?

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.