FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/21/2020 1:59 PM  #1

Preserving Patina paint

Recommendations I need to protect the car. Pretty solid car all original panels.Your thoughts I think one repaint. When it rains the water just sits flat I used to use rainex and pledge.I am thinking Plasti boiled lin seed oil or clear I don’t know if sanding and buffing and waxing would help it

3/21/2020 2:23 PM  #2

Re: Preserving Patina paint

Coupedaddy wrote:

Recommendations I need to protect the car. Pretty solid car all original panels.Your thoughts I think one repaint. When it rains the water just sits flat I used to use rainex and pledge.I am thinking Plasti boiled lin seed oil or clear I don’t know if sanding and buffing and waxing would help it

You touch it...you ruin it.

Maybe a GasMonkey dull clearcoat. But then, what do you do when it starts peeling?

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

3/21/2020 2:34 PM  #3

Garage it, drive it, wash it, don't worry about it.  That's real patina, son.  And as I've been told by our fearless leader, "YOU CAIN'T BUY THAT SHXX!!"

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

3/21/2020 2:56 PM  #4

Lol 😂 not trying to change it every bash we travel through rain storms just trying to get the water to bead up after I wash it it can stay wet for hours if it’s not in the sun which I don’t wash it in lol. Thats why I clean it with rainex window cleaner some repellent.

Last edited by Coupedaddy (3/21/2020 2:59 PM)

3/21/2020 4:20 PM  #5

I don't see why you can't put a good coat of wax on it, Coupe.  Just be sure it's cool and in the shade.  Wax won't make it shine much, I don't think, but would keep the water off the paint...maybe.

BB-1

Last edited by Bullet Bob (3/21/2020 4:20 PM)

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

3/21/2020 6:07 PM  #6

I buffed out my 70 Ford truck and couldn't believe the difference it made.  It would bead water for a long time.  Need to do it again now.

3/21/2020 8:21 PM  #7

Just read where CLR cleaner  (Calcium Lime Rust) is a good SAFE cleaner for car finishes with some surface rust.
(Kinda like washing in real strong vinegar).  Wash'er down with CLR then put on several coats of Dollar Tree  furniture polish (Lemon scented) $1 a bottle. Then let'er Rip!  Love the patina!!
6sal6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

3/21/2020 8:24 PM  #8

I think a wax will do what you want Coupe. I remember thinking when you and Felicia rolled into Wimberley, "now there's a real car".
Then when Dan arrived in Clinton, "Charles has got some competition" 

"Those telephone poles were like a picket fence"

3/21/2020 11:32 PM  #9

Bullet Bob wrote:

Garage it, drive it, wash it, don't worry about it.  That's real patina, son.  And as I've been told by our fearless leader, "YOU CAIN'T BUY THAT SHXX!!"

Yep, this ^^^^^
You're over thinking this Charles. Let it be.

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

3/22/2020 8:14 AM  #10

Coupe...wish I could have saved the original dented hood.

If ya drive it, the water will come off.
Then the only 2 spots to dry off are by the quarter windows.

After washing, I usually just wipe down the top edges front to rear...and call it good.
When I’m ambitious, I might “polish” up the hood.🤣

Don’t change it Coupe. 😎

Last edited by Nos681 (3/22/2020 8:16 AM)

3/22/2020 4:26 PM  #11

Thanks for the replies I will try and wax it again!!!

Last edited by Coupedaddy (3/23/2020 10:39 AM)

3/22/2020 4:33 PM  #12

Coupedaddy wrote:

Thanks for the replies I will try and wax it again!!!

Patina needs no wax!

Gary Zilik - Pine Junction, Colorado - 67 Coupe, 289-4V, T5

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.