FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/22/2020 6:27 PM  #1

Post your nominations for the dumbest mechanic ever award.

If it isn't broken...modify it anyway! http://www.DazeCars.com https://galaxieforum.boardhost.com

3/22/2020 6:32 PM  #2

Re: Post your nominations for the dumbest mechanic ever award.

At least the guy was consistent. All the gas bottles are the same height.

70, ragtop 351W/416 stroker Edel Performer heads w pro flow 4, Comp roller 35-421-8. T5

3/22/2020 8:01 PM  #3

And he probably works on it under there!

Original owner - 351w,T-5, 4whl disks, power R&P

3/22/2020 8:27 PM  #4

I always laugh at those, and then remember back when I was a junior in high school and needed to swap out the rear end in my Mustang. Had the car on jack stands that were under the housing and started loosening the leaf spring u-bolts.... Luckily one good popping noise made me stop and assess the situation

3/22/2020 9:29 PM  #5

When I was in high school  I didn't know what a jack stand was !! Never used them. I (and my Dad) were often under the car with just a BUMPER JACK!   YIKES!! (could have easily wiped out our entire gene pool)
6s6

Last edited by 6sally6 (3/23/2020 8:55 AM)

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

3/23/2020 5:18 AM  #6

I nominate the guy who converted my car to a v8.  He failed to put a pilot bushing in the end of the crankshaft, causing severe damage to both the input and output shafts of the transmission.  I had to replace them when I rebuilt the transmission.

Worse, he didn't use a functioning proportioning valve when he changed the front brakes to disc.  But he did pinched the rear hard lines where they go into the wheel cylinders so that the rear brakes wouldn't lock up as quickly.  There are several other things as well but those are the worst two.

Founding Member of the Perpetually Bewildered Society

3/23/2020 6:44 AM  #7

Feeling a little dejavu...

3/23/2020 8:31 AM  #8

6sally6 wrote:

When I was in high school I didn't know what a jack stand was !! Never used them. I(and my Dad) wereoften under the car with just a BUMPER JACK! YIKES!!
6s6

I do remember changing a few tires on the side of the road. Bumper jack on the side of the road in the mud. Jack up the car and it start to lean one way or another. Let it down, reposition the jack until the car won't lean. Change the tire. That was as safe as it got back then.

If this forum can't fix it, it isn't broke.

3/23/2020 9:02 AM  #9

Makes me think that some of the dumb things I've done, or been involved with, maybe were not the worst.

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

3/23/2020 2:54 PM  #10

How 'bout too drunk to drive and run the car off the road  and front end into a creek?!  Jack up the front end  with the trusty old bumper jack and then hammer-it in reverse and drive it off the jack.............rinse & repeat until you finally get all 4 wheels back on solid ground.  Then.take-a-break and have a few more beers to celebrate your genius work?!  (yeah..I"knew-a-guy" that did that!)
6sal6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

3/23/2020 3:36 PM  #11

6sally6 wrote:

How 'bout too drunk to drive and run the car off the road and front end into a creek?! Jack up the front end with the trusty old bumper jack and then hammer-it in reverse and drive it off the jack.............rinse & repeat until you finally get all 4 wheels back on solid ground. Then.take-a-break and have a few more beers to celebrate your genius work?! (yeah..I"knew-a-guy" that did that!)
6sal6

Never did anything like that and never straightened out a front bumper by chaining it to a tree and putting it in reverse. Sounds like we knew a lot of the same people Mike.

If this forum can't fix it, it isn't broke.

3/23/2020 4:10 PM  #12

There’s nothing wrong about using a big tree. 😂

3/23/2020 4:20 PM  #13

Ha ! Ha !!!    Yeah !!! 
after wiping tears from laughing so hard .. ?? I have to ask ..  the  ( .I"knew-a-guy" ) is he the  one you see in the mirror !!  or were you there helping him !! That's a true friend .. 

66 PonySilverBlue-289/gt40/roller/650cfm/ram air-T-5-cable-w4way.disc/4-245x50x16"

3/23/2020 5:26 PM  #14

Way back in the early 80's I used a setup very similar to this to remove the 360 and install the 390 in my 76 F-250. Worked like a charm.

Gary Zilik - Pine Junction, Colorado - 67 Coupe, 289-4V, T5

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.