FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/29/2020 10:11 AM  #1

Traffic?

3/29/2020 10:45 AM  #2

Re: Traffic?

Lol it cut a hour and 15 min off my commute.

3/29/2020 10:53 AM  #3

Without UD in session its like summer all the time now.  I can get across town in 5 minutes at 5:30 instead of 20-30 minutes.

Plus, no cops.  I can't be the only one who noticed that. 

3/29/2020 12:13 PM  #4

For those of you on the right coast..That photo is the Harbor Freeway in LA looking north from just south of downtown.  Normally that is solid cars for around 20 hours of the day.  That is why I moved north.  It might be the busiest freeway in the country except normally, the cars do not move!

Original owner - 351w,T-5, 4whl disks, power R&P

3/29/2020 8:15 PM  #5

Well the air looks a lot cleaner than it did in the early 70's. It still looks smoggy though. Im not sure Im convinced that the smog is caused by cars. Hmmmmm. give it a couple more weeks.

70, ragtop 351W/416 stroker Edel Performer heads w pro flow 4, Comp roller 35-421-8. T5

3/29/2020 10:36 PM  #6

HudginJ3 wrote:

Well the air looks a lot cleaner than it did in the early 70's. It still looks smoggy though. Im not sure Im convinced that the smog is caused by cars. Hmmmmm. give it a couple more weeks.

I grew up in LA in the 50's, before there were pollution controls.  On a good day you could see about a quarter mile.  The air was greenish-yellowish-brown.  Your eyes burned. Your lungs burned.  It hurt to breathe.  You could feel it on your skin.  Asthma was a major cause of death.

With the advent of auto pollution controls, that plummeted.  I could even see the mountains to the north 30 miles away.  You might argue that there was correlation without causation, but I bet you cannot find and alternative answer.

LA is surrounded on 3 sides by 10,000 ft mountains, and the prevailing wind is from the ocean to the west.  LA is also famous for its inversion layer that holds the air in below around 1,000 Ft.  All that exhaust just sits there in the basin.  Like sitting in your car in the garage with the door closed.  There are multimillion cars there with their exhaust collecting and staying in the basin. Like sitting in your car in the garage with the door closed.

Yes,, LA smog was, and still is, plagued with smog,  but now it is orders of magnitude lower.  And oxides of nitrogen are almost gone.

Bearing Bob along with some others live just north of LA in the San Jauquin Valley, which has its own smog problem.  Maybe one of them would care to add to this.

Last edited by lowercasesteve (3/29/2020 10:38 PM)

Original owner - 351w,T-5, 4whl disks, power R&P

3/30/2020 11:06 AM  #7

Ya, as much as I hate to admit it, it's my belief that some government rules has made a positive impact on cleaner air. What it did to the price of transportation is another show. I do believe that  the engines of recent times have reduced smog a bunch. While the government's 80's attempt at smog devices on engines resulted in crappy performance, I'm amazed at how new cars can cleanly produce big power.

The San Joaquin Valley huge, bigger than some states, about 50 miles wide by 450 miles long. Bakersfield is at the southern end and surrounded on three sides by big mountains. With the northwest prevailing winds, smog from as far away as northern California comes to a stop at the southern end. Our average wind here is ~7 mph, and without heavy winds the smog has nowhere to go.

Probably pre Y2K it would be a rare day you could see the mountains which are 30 miles away on all 3 sides. Nowadays they are seen nearly daily.

That's my TKO style answer. 

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

3/30/2020 1:22 PM  #8

Bearing Bob wrote:

Ya, as much as I hate to admit it, it's my belief that some government rules has made a positive impact on cleaner air. What it did to the price of transportation is another show. I do believe that  the engines of recent times have reduced smog a bunch. While the government's 80's attempt at smog devices on engines resulted in crappy performance, I'm amazed at how new cars can cleanly produce big power.

The San Joaquin Valley huge, bigger than some states, about 50 miles wide by 450 miles long. Bakersfield is at the southern end and surrounded on three sides by big mountains. With the northwest prevailing winds, smog from as far away as northern California comes to a stop at the southern end. Our average wind here is ~7 mph, and without heavy winds the smog has nowhere to go.

Probably pre Y2K it would be a rare day you could see the mountains which are 30 miles away on all 3 sides. Nowadays they are seen nearly daily.

No it wasn't....not even close

3/30/2020 2:45 PM  #9

Bob, you didn’t even talk about Valley Fever.😁

The part that irks me about CARB, is that you have to have all of the emissions related equipment on the new engine in a 50 year old car.
To have an exemption, you have to have their “experts” determine if will qualify.

I know modern engines can still burn cleaner than original with or without the extra components.
The air pumps are a band-aid anyway.
They dilute the exhaust out the tailpipes.

THE SOLUTION TO POLLUTION...
IS DILUTION....smog pump...why do ya wanna pump smog? 😁

Yet, I still see public transportation and tour buses that burn a heck of a lot worse....and in grand scheme of things, more pollution than all of our cars put together.
And those buses run for many hours a day throughout a year compared to what this whole forum does in a year.

It’s like comparing apples to Ding Dongs!🤪

Last edited by Nos681 (3/30/2020 3:10 PM)

3/30/2020 3:55 PM  #10

josh-kebob wrote:

Bearing Bob wrote:

Ya, as much as I hate to admit it, it's my belief that some government rules has made a positive impact on cleaner air. What it did to the price of transportation is another show. I do believe that the engines of recent times have reduced smog a bunch. While the government's 80's attempt at smog devices on engines resulted in crappy performance, I'm amazed at how new cars can cleanly produce big power.

Nonsense, doing quite well young padawan. 

3/30/2020 4:02 PM  #11

TKOPerformance wrote:

josh-kebob wrote:

Bearing Bob wrote:

Ya, as much as I hate to admit it, it's my belief that some government rules has made a positive impact on cleaner air. What it did to the price of transportation is another show. I do believe that the engines of recent times have reduced smog a bunch. While the government's 80's attempt at smog devices on engines resulted in crappy performance, I'm amazed at how new cars can cleanly produce big power.

Nonsense, doing quite well young padawan. 

TKO, I thought you had left us. BB2's post was about the longest I have ever seen him write. Didn't know he had it in him. 

Gary Zilik - Pine Junction, Colorado - 67 Coupe, 289-4V, T5

3/31/2020 12:10 AM  #12

RV6 wrote:

TKO, I thought you had left us. BB2's post was about the longest I have ever seen him write. Didn't know he had it in him. 

I got a really good laugh from this Gary.  Maybe because it came on the heels of a similar text message from my brother, who had failed to reply to my text to him, and was explaining his no reply:

I dunno, maybe the social distancing is affecting me.

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.