FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/23/2020 3:39 PM  #51

Re: Stroker Build .. Gaba's 347

Also ... just for the heck of it , measured the oring groove .. it came out to 2.15mm x 0.25mm

That corresponds to the same area as a circular wire with 0.83mm diameter .. so the closest under that is 20 gauge wire (0.81mm) ...

What do y’all think?

Last edited by Gaba (3/25/2020 6:36 AM)

If it aint broke, I have'nt tried to "Fix" it yet!

3/25/2020 7:21 AM  #52

I love amazon. You can find anything

3/25/2020 8:20 AM  #53

Nice work Gaba.
Great pictures too.

3/25/2020 8:32 AM  #54

I would not use the Permatex on composition gaskets.  Every one I've ever seen expressly recommends against using a sealer.  It works great on solid copper or steel shim gaskets, but a composition gasket should seal on its own without issues. 

3/25/2020 8:57 AM  #55

I could show you a spool just like that and a can of spray a gasket out in my tool box now. I used to use instant glue to secure the wires in the grooves and a quick spray of the gasket stuff on the gaskets. worked really well till I upped to 12 to one compression.

3/25/2020 9:38 AM  #56

I haven't used the Permatex before(just the plain gasket on clean surface butt.......I have read were a lot of the 'race engine builders' use it! Soooo maybe a case of suspenders AND belt!?
How are you planning to get the copper wire rolled in a perfect circle? Just curious!
6sal6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

3/25/2020 10:00 AM  #57

Years ago there was this really good sealer called Smokey Seal that Smokey Yunick had designed.  It worked on every kind of head gasket, and protected the gaskets so that you could actually clean it off an reuse the gaskets multiple times.  Unfortunately it hasn't been available in years.  Probably caused cancer in California...

The Permatex copper works well on metal gaskets.  The only composition gaskets I ever used it on were in a GM 6.2 Diesel.  It seemed to maybe slow the head gasket leaks they all have, though not eliminate them.  Those engines were utter toilets. 

Otherwise, a composition gasket with the modern facings they use is meant to imprint directly on a clean metal surface on both sides.  I would not put anything in the path of that.  If your head gaskets aren't sealing its likely due to a machining issue, a fastener issue, or because you need to run o-rings due to running too much boost or spray.  My 6.0 Diesel seals with composition gaskets and only 10 head fasteners per side (just like a SBF).  I run ARP studs and stock Ford gaskets.  The engine has a 22:1 static compression ratio and pushes over 30lbs of boost from a turbo the size of a soccer ball.  6.0s are also notorious for head gasket problems, yet mine's run fine like that for over 130,000 miles while making 660HP and 950 lbs/ft.  The studs and careful machining solved the issues I had before while making less power.  Long story short, if that thing doesn't need sealer to seal; you don't need it for a NA SBF. 

3/25/2020 10:32 AM  #58

The trick to the copper wire is to get it cut withe nice square ends to the length that will fill the groove with those square cut ends touching with almost no gap. That is why I used the super glue. I would get one the wire formed closely to size then glue the one end in place. Then work my way around the groove with spots of glue (just enough to keep it in place) making sure the ends line up just touching. I never worried that it was formed to a perfect circle to start with, just made sure it was glued enough to stay down in the groove till I got the gasket and head in place.

3/25/2020 10:38 AM  #59

When i upped the compression and the wire did not work anymore I changed to these fancy gas filled stainless o-rings. Cut the grooves to work with the o-rings and I think I could have run 100 to one compression. With those I did not use a gasket and sealed everything else up with RTV. One problem with the fancy stainless o-rings was that you needed a 5th mortgage to buy them. You had to buy tooling up front before they would make any and then the minimum quantity was a lifetimes worth. A bunch of us went together for the min qty after we found an existing size we could make work. They were amazing. I got the impression that they are mainly used aircraft/aerospace.

3/25/2020 11:13 AM  #60

So the copper gasket maker was only to make the copper wire stick. Not much else .. I was gonna use a straight gasket on the head in general just the gasket maker to make a thin glue  to stick the copper wire with.. didn’t think CA would work.. haha .. u can use that

3/25/2020 2:16 PM  #61

I only used the super glue on the wire, the spray a gasket was for the head gaskets I was forced to run. With a good gasket I wouldn't use the spray a gasket. 
I see that wire you have is craft wire, sometimes those are steel wire with plating, Make sure you use solid copper wire like good electrical wire. 

Last edited by DC (3/25/2020 2:19 PM)

3/25/2020 6:46 PM  #62

DC wrote:

I only used the super glue on the wire, the spray a gasket was for the head gaskets I was forced to run. With a good gasket I wouldn't use the spray a gasket. 
I see that wire you have is craft wire, sometimes those are steel wire with plating, Make sure you use solid copper wire like good electrical wire. 

Oh I’m pretty sure it’s solid copper .. super soft .. and I can hammer it flat and make sure there aren’t two metals there

3/25/2020 7:41 PM  #63

Next step.. power wash the coolant passages ... and I’m glad I did.. notice the junk coming out of there .. there was a lot like this... I took my time ...

Then washed the whole block with dishsoap and water... as you can tell I had expert help for that part!!!!

Rinse, air dry and WD40 on all machined surfaces .

Last edited by Gaba (3/25/2020 7:42 PM)

3/25/2020 9:30 PM  #64

Gaba..........it wrinkled your fangers!
6s6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

3/26/2020 6:03 AM  #65

Thank the Lord!  Finally some qualified help!

3/26/2020 9:44 AM  #66

Gaba wrote:

DC wrote:

Oh I’m pretty sure it’s solid copper .. super soft .. and I can hammer it flat and make sure there aren’t two metals there

Sounds good, but you didn't tell me about your helpers! looks like my garage a few years back, My littlest one is 32 now. She is my engine assembly expert! She has the touch with piston rings and getting them in the bore just right.

3/26/2020 5:11 PM  #67

My youngest comes into the garage when I'm working on something and announces "I brought my tools!"  He's carrying an armload of Fisher Price pliers, screwdrivers, saws, etc.  I gave him an old alternator to play with so he'd stay out of my hair.  He tried for probably 20 minutes to get the nut off the pulley with a pair of plastic pliers.  I could see his thought process too, he was thinking "it turns when I turn it...I need a way to hold it still..."

3/29/2020 7:08 PM  #68

Ok next thing done was putting that 20 gauge wire around the cylinder combustion area to cover the O ring  surface.

Tacked in place with CA and held for the time being by clear tape

3/29/2020 7:12 PM  #69

Another step... taping prepping the whole block for paint ..

This was slow and fun process. Took my time cutting the tape just right around everything.. good this with this covid quarantine is . I can take it slowwwww... and have fun doing it, listening to my history podcasts... just clearing my head .. it’s therapeutic! :D

And then , paint .

3/29/2020 10:53 PM  #70

Where D'Ford blue???????!
6sal6

3/30/2020 3:06 AM  #71

6sally6 wrote:

Where D'Ford blue???????!
6sal6

Going 65 black :D

3/30/2020 8:37 AM  #72

I like it.
Looks great!

4/06/2020 11:11 AM  #73

Okey dokey.. while the ring filter comes from summit I decided to start with cam shaft ..

For everything lined up and brakleened, lubed with comp-cam cream like engine builder lube and installed gently ..

Tape means need torquing . And I’m writing it down on a sheet of things to do too..

4/06/2020 11:26 AM  #74

You're doing fine....slow and steady and you'll be finished before you know it...

4/23/2020 9:25 AM  #75

Ok since the last update it has been a while.. Many things have happened, some have gone wrong.. and Mistakes have been made!! :D ... a good bit of them............ I am not too proud to admit them here and hope they help some Dumba** like me HAHAHAH

More details and pictures to follow

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.