FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/30/2020 8:16 AM  #1

OK, all kidding aside, getting back to this!

Would this work and how could it be plumbed to actuate the rear disks, not the e-brake mechanism just the disks.
My initial idea of a  "T" in the rear brake line would just push brake fluid back to the Master cylinder, right?
 Just trying to make something simple more complicated, but that's just me.
       Ideas anyone ??

https://www.banggood.com/63cm-Universal-Long-Vertical-Hydraulic-Handbrake-E-brake-Drift-Race-Hand-Brake-p-1238176.html?rmmds=detail-left-hotproducts__1&cur_warehouse=CN

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

3/30/2020 8:31 AM  #2

Re: OK, all kidding aside, getting back to this!

From what I see, you would have to isolate the fronts to firewall master and rear to hand brake master.

Then daily driver would be a pain in arse.
Two braking systems just to drive around town.

3/30/2020 8:43 AM  #3

Rear brake line goes through the hand brake.  The hand brake pressurizes and applies the rear brakes only.  Think of it like a second master cylinder, it just doesn't have a reservoir.  It won't effect brake system pressure in front of the master cylinder, just behind it.  The brakes run like 1,000-2,000psi of pressure, but the master cylinder reservoir sees almost no pressure or it would explode. 

3/30/2020 8:51 AM  #4

Planning on doing some drifting eh Rudi are ya? 

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

3/30/2020 9:05 AM  #5

Doesn't look like it locks in the "brake on" position so it probably won't work for a emergency brake unless you modify it so it latches with the rear brakes locked

Founding Member of the Perpetually Bewildered Society

3/30/2020 9:06 AM  #6

TKOPerformance wrote:

Rear brake line goes through the hand brake.  The hand brake pressurizes and applies the rear brakes only.  Think of it like a second master cylinder, it just doesn't have a reservoir.  It won't effect brake system pressure in front of the master cylinder, just behind it.  The brakes run like 1,000-2,000psi of pressure, but the master cylinder reservoir sees almost no pressure or it would explode. 

OK, so let me get this straight.
  Rear brake line form the master cylinder to the "In" of the small hand operated cylinder and the from there to the original line to the rear disks? Plumbed in series so to speak.

3/30/2020 9:08 AM  #7

John Ha wrote:

Doesn't look like it locks in the "brake on" position so it probably won't work for a emergency brake unless you modify it so it latches with the rear brakes locked

In my original post I mentioned a latch for that, sorry I did not mention that in this post.

3/30/2020 9:30 AM  #8

Bearing Bob wrote:

Planning on doing some drifting eh Rudi are ya?

Yah, Kenny be my hero.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tik4QgvMwd4

3/30/2020 11:02 AM  #9

Or, you might be able to use a line-lock only on the rears instead of the fronts.  Just a little electric solenoid valve.

BB1

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

3/30/2020 11:04 AM  #10

Or this looks even better...may go this way myownself.

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Speedway-Park-Lok-Universal-Hydraulic-Parking-Brake-Line-Lock

I can't make the link work so if you have trouble just Google "speedway Park-loc"  $29.95.

BB1

Last edited by Bullet Bob (3/30/2020 11:19 AM)

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

3/30/2020 11:20 AM  #11

Bullet Bob wrote:

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Speedway-Park-Lok-Universal-Hydraulic-Parking-Brake-Line-Lock,1970.

I can't make the link work so if you have trouble just Google "speedway Park-loc"  $29.95.

BB1

They say not for use with DOT 5, so it's not for me, looks OK though.

3/30/2020 2:50 PM  #12

Rudi wrote:

John Ha wrote:

In my original post I mentioned a latch for that, sorry I did not mention that in this post.

D'oh!  My bad.  I didn't realize this was already discussed elsewhere, although I probably should have figgured that out from the title.

Founding Member of the Perpetually Bewildered Society

3/30/2020 4:00 PM  #13

Rudi wrote:

TKOPerformance wrote:

OK, so let me get this straight.
  Rear brake line form the master cylinder to the "In" of the small hand operated cylinder and the from there to the original line to the rear disks? Plumbed in series so to speak.

Yep, pretty sure that's how they do it.

3/30/2020 4:08 PM  #14

I have a line-lock in my airplane. It makes for great short field landings. Set the line-lock, pump the brakes and land. A lot of rubber is left behind but you stop fast. 

Seriously, it is used as a parking brake.

Gary Zilik - Pine Junction, Colorado - 67 Coupe, 289-4V, T5

3/30/2020 4:18 PM  #15

Bet you still use wheel chocks as well Gary.

"Those telephone poles were like a picket fence"

3/30/2020 5:15 PM  #16

RV6 wrote:

I have a line-lock in my airplane. It makes for great short field landings. Set the line-lock, pump the brakes and land. A lot of rubber is left behind but you stop fast.

Ok for trikes would not have worked well on my tail dragger.

I do have a line lock on my Mustangs front brake line, hmmm.

3/30/2020 5:19 PM  #17

Bullet Bob wrote:

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Speedway-Park-Lok-Universal-Hydraulic-Parking-Brake-Line-Lock

BB1

i went to that link and got a pic of a GTO/stang. Looks like a mustang with a fairlane front. Not sure where they com up with GTO??

Last edited by Cab4word67 (3/30/2020 5:21 PM)

Slammed Big Blue, ran over the varmints that messed with the Stang. Now all is good in the NW

3/30/2020 5:20 PM  #18

Just mount two calipers on each rear wheel and plumb as you like, keeping them separate.  But I never have liked the idea of trying to hold hydraulic pressure on a brake system over any length of time.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

3/30/2020 5:36 PM  #19

MS wrote:

Just mount two calipers on each rear wheel and plumb as you like, keeping them separate. But I never have liked the idea of trying to hold hydraulic pressure on a brake system over any length of time.

Gives me pause as well.  The system isn't designed to be used like that. 

Last edited by TKOPerformance (3/31/2020 1:06 PM)

3/30/2020 6:19 PM  #20

KISS I might go pinion disk and mechanical caliper  with an electric linear actuator my original idea from last year.

3/31/2020 12:28 PM  #21

MS wrote:

Just mount two calipers on each rear wheel and plumb as you like, keeping them separate. But I never have liked the idea of trying to hold hydraulic pressure on a brake system over any length of time.

Most aircraft use the retained hydraulic pressure type of parking brake, but like any mechanical system, it all depends on the condition of the system - i.e. how tight the seals are in order to hold the pressure over time. They all eventually will leak down. The FAA only requires that they hold the aircraft brakes for a minimum of 90 seconds so that during an emergency evacuation, the aircraft will not move. Because the systems will eventually leak down, standard procedure is to also install wheel chocks whenever the aircraft is parked. I have to agree with MS about not relying on a hydraulic brake to keep a vehicle from moving while parked.

68 coupe - 351W, 4R70W, 9" 3.25 -- 65 convertible - 289 4v, C4, 8" 3.00

3/31/2020 2:20 PM  #22

The 1957 Cessna that I learned to fly in had a parking break similar to what is in the Mustang. Pull on the handle and the cable pulled the top of the brake pedal forward simulating someone stepping on the brakes. It was only for use on slope windy situations so the pilot could get out and place the wheel chocks. 

The line-lock in my RV-6A basically does the same thing. It keeps the aircraft from moving long enough to set the chocks. The pressure will bleed down overnight and a preflight check makes sure the P-Brake is OFF. 

Gary Zilik - Pine Junction, Colorado - 67 Coupe, 289-4V, T5

3/31/2020 7:12 PM  #23

Just curious...  What is wrong with the original parking brake system that uses cable?  Simple, effective, works in dead-battery condition and does not bleed down over time?

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

3/31/2020 7:31 PM  #24

RV6 wrote:

The 1957 Cessna that I learned to fly in had a parking break similar to what is in the Mustang. Pull on the handle and the cable pulled the top of the brake pedal forward simulating someone stepping on the brakes. It was only for use on slope windy situations so the pilot could get out and place the wheel chocks. 

The line-lock in my RV-6A basically does the same thing. It keeps the aircraft from moving long enough to set the chocks. The pressure will bleed down overnight and a preflight check makes sure the P-Brake is OFF. 

I've spent some time jamming myself under the instrument panel trying to service those Cessna brake reservoirs behind the rudder pedals. Oh, the good old days..... :-)

68 coupe - 351W, 4R70W, 9" 3.25 -- 65 convertible - 289 4v, C4, 8" 3.00

3/31/2020 7:40 PM  #25

MS wrote:

Just curious...  What is wrong with the original parking brake system that uses cable?  Simple, effective, works in dead-battery condition and does not bleed down over time?

The MK VIII caliper has a hokey lever operated cam with some internal balls that activate the piston.
I never liked it much for lack of holding power.
I don’t much like the e brake handle that hangs under the dash either.
A short mechanical e brake handle won’t work with a full console.
The long hydraulic lever might fit better between the seat and console.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.