| ||
| Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for: FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events |
Offline

Thinking about buying a car cover, and I've seen them range from $65 to over $300. I'm thinking of going with a cheap one, mainly because it will just be for keeping the dust off of the car while it's sitting in my garage. It may be out in the weather once a year. So I don't need an expensive one. Anyone have any experience with covers? I don't want an inexpensive one if it's a complete piece of crap.
Thanks Mike
Offline
I have a 65 coupe I think my cover fits great my parents bought mine from Oriley auto parts . It fits well does the job on keeping dust off as mines in the garage all the time. I don't know how much they spent as it was a birthday present after I got my car painted. If you leave your car out you may want to syran wrap it on at least over deck lid and the good cowling as some stangs they don't look like they have a bad cowling but they do my friends 66 he took his in paid mondo amounts of money for little rust repair and they didn't check the cowling. He wondered why his floor was wet. Here's an idea on the cover you could go to the homedepot and go to the paint department and get whats called never wet cool stuff look up some videos. You could get a cover they spray the never wet over it so the water just beads off. Very cool stuff
Offline
If its just for keeping dust off your car inthe garage you can get the plastic car protectors from the body supply shops they are cheap and work great., Most body shops use them to protect stored cars from overspray and sanding dust etc.
But for outside these should not be used.
Car covers are very specific for indoor or outdoor use. You need to be careful using the right product for the application my buddy used and indoor cover outside just for a short time, it rained and then got baked in the sun. Small micro bubbles appeared in the paint all over the place. It went from a #1 to a 10 footer.
So be careful and do some research.
Offline
Depending on the quality of your paint, you want to be sure the underside of the cover is soft enough not to scratch it when outting on, or taking off.
Offline
Mike, I've bought a number of covers over the years as I'm one of the few people that would cover my car in the parking lot so it didn't bake all day.
Check out California Car Covers or Wolf Covers and get the lightest (Spell cheapest) cover they have that isn't plastic. You should be able to get a cover made of Evolution fabric that won't scratch your paint and will keep the dust and light moisture off the car but won't sweat. Never use plastic!!
You should be able to get something that works well for your purpose for around $130 for custom fit or quite a bit cheaper for OSFA.
For serious work you want a cover made of NOAH fabric. I had Josh-Ka-Bob's 90 GT setting outside for two Colo winters with a Noah cover and both the car and the cover survived quite nicely. In fact, I think Josh is still using that cover. But that was over $200 five years ago.
BB
Offline

BB
My cover sure is a Wolfe and it works great........keeps dust off in the garage.
I had used a wal mart cheapo on my other car and WOULD not recommend it.
I really like the wolfe......
Last edited by josh-kebob (9/08/2013 4:14 PM)
Offline

Well I bit the bullet and bought a good one made of NOAH, spent about a hundred more than I had planned. Ended up being about $250 with bag and cable and lock. Hope it holds up good. I should of bought a convertible top since I dont have one of those yet.
Just tired of all the dust getting all over the car and interior.
| REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on. |