FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/31/2020 2:34 PM  #1

T-5 install in a 66 Mustang

Is a clutch fork cover necessary when installing a T-5 in a 66? It seems like it would be a good idea to keep debris out of the clutch/flywheel area.
Thoughts?
Thanks

Last edited by BobC (3/31/2020 2:35 PM)

Bash Host MSBB XVI.       BobC    1966 Mustang Coupe

3/31/2020 2:47 PM  #2

Re: T-5 install in a 66 Mustang

I have always installed them.  They are reproduced if yours is missing. 

3/31/2020 2:52 PM  #3

I don't have one, butt that don't mean it's the right way to go. I used a late model bell and the steel cover that is used as a dust boot will not work with the 67's Z-bar clutch linkage.

Last edited by RV6 (3/31/2020 2:59 PM)

Gary Zilik - Pine Junction, Colorado - 67 Coupe, 289-4V, T5

3/31/2020 3:01 PM  #4

I used one and purchased from late model restorations...

3/31/2020 3:15 PM  #5

I've never had one!  Extra weight don't cha know!..........IF you stay outta water that will come in the car anyway.........not much stuff gonna git-in-there.
6s6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

3/31/2020 4:41 PM  #6

I don't have one so I am going to try to find something local. Maybe NPD if I can't find one used. Thanks for the responses. I will try to post some pictures of my progress. 

3/31/2020 5:21 PM  #7

Attempting to post some photos. I know if there is no pictures, it never happened.

3/31/2020 5:24 PM  #8

If you can get it to fit, do it.  I'm not saying there is a problem.  I have one on mine, but these cars of ours vary a lot in construction, so, what works on mine may not work on yours.  I am using a stock 289 bellhousing rather than one of the later model.  Late models may be different.

Original owner - 351w,T-5, 4whl disks, power R&P

3/31/2020 7:04 PM  #9

I have one on mine.  This is one of those "little things" that, when installed. makes your car more finished.  Why NOT install one?  They are readily available.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

4/01/2020 5:40 AM  #10

Looking good there BobC.  Third pic reminds me of what I found on the shop floor behind my Model T yesterday.  I'm getting ready to put a 4 post lift in and have to move everything around and I though "there's that C4 that came out of my '67.  I need to tuck that in the I kept it but will never actually use it spot in the shop."

4/01/2020 4:41 PM  #11

I would and I do. However if you're using a T5 bellhousing converted to Z bar, it's a unique situation. I understand there is a boot from one of the big Ford F series that actually fits. It's for something like a F500. I have one but I believe it's been discontinued. I never converted to T5, still have my much loved Toploader.

I'm not a complete idiot.....pieces are missing. Tom

4/02/2020 6:51 AM  #12

I modified a T5 bell fork cover for the pusher style slave cylinder.

4/02/2020 7:21 AM  #13

Bob... I am pretty sure I have one for the 65/66 bell.  Are you using the 65/66 bell or the fox era bell?
I would need 1 garage point, if you're using the early bell.

4/02/2020 4:32 PM  #14

TimC wrote:

Bob... I am pretty sure I have one for the 65/66 bell.  Are you using the 65/66 bell or the fox era bell?
I would need 1 garage point, if you're using the early bell.

Thanks for the offer TimC, but my bell is 83-85 and I don't think that would fit.
Thanks again.

4/02/2020 8:00 PM  #15

I’m excited for you Bob.
Out of curiosity, what headers are you using?
I can see it in the picture.

4/03/2020 7:46 AM  #16

The headers were installed by the PO  and I don't know what brand they are. They have held up pretty well since I have owned the car since 2003. 

4/03/2020 8:21 AM  #17

I don’t have a cover on mine yet...on my to do list.
I have to make some modifications to it before installing.

Do you have any pictures of driver’s side installed on car?
What type of clutch actuator are you going to use?
Cable or hydraulic?

Not that I want ya to incriminate yourself.
Ya know Big Brother watching. 😂

I’m interested in the section below the oil pan rail to the collector.
Both downward as well as outward from engine block.
At your convenience of course.

Last edited by Nos681 (4/03/2020 8:33 AM)

4/04/2020 9:54 AM  #18

OK Lt. Dan, I tried to get a couple of photos hopefully in the area you wanted to see. I am in the process of removing the master cylinder, booster and brake pedal hanger so I can install a clutch pedal and clutch ;master. Also, if anyone would like a working C-4, it is free (garage points) to a good home. Pick Up only. Working fine when removed. The usual C-4 leaks.

4/04/2020 11:15 AM  #19

Thanks Bob.
Shelter in place ...garage looks perfect for that. 👍🏼👍🏼
Stay healthy.

Last edited by Nos681 (4/04/2020 11:15 AM)

4/06/2020 1:36 PM  #20

Not too much progress today. I had to work on my garage heater this morning before working on the 66. It was a frosty morning. Rebuilt pedal hanger with pedals. Roller bearings instead of the zinc bushings.
private pics tumblr

Last edited by BobC (4/06/2020 1:37 PM)

4/10/2020 1:21 PM  #21

I have made some progress in the last couple of days. The pedals are back in the car, I am fitting the mounting blocks for the hydraulic clutch. I had to round up some additional tools to drill the firewall.

4/10/2020 1:50 PM  #22

That looks like it's going to be a nice setup, Bob.  Just axing...why did you go with the hydraulic clutch rather than cable?

BB1

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

4/11/2020 6:09 AM  #23

Well BB, it was almost a coin toss. Every manual car I have owned has used a hydraulic clutch. I talked to the guys at MDL when I was buying my parts for the conversion and with my set up, hydraulic was what they recommended. I may regret this but I am prepared to "Do It Over" if necessary. Hopefully not.

4/11/2020 8:21 AM  #24

TKOPerformance wrote:

I have always installed them.  They are reproduced if yours is missing. 

I have one for my late model bellhousing but not the bolt that attaches it to the bell housing.  I think it's metric but have not been able to figure out exactly what size/thread pitch.  I'd love to know that - if someone can share :-)

Founding Member of the Perpetually Bewildered Society

4/11/2020 9:20 AM  #25

I believe the bolt is a standard size by the Ford part number. The catalog does not show the size.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.