FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/29/2020 7:59 AM  #1

Spindles on 69 mustang

Are 69 drum spindles the same for 6 and 8 cylinder cars?
Have a coworker asking about products for disc brakes.
I know hubs have to change if he wants to go with 5 lugs.
He mentioned he has an adapter that converts from 4 to 5 lugs now.
I forgot to ask what diameter wheels, as for which kit(s).

4/29/2020 12:23 PM  #2

Re: Spindles on 69 mustang

I not know, butt... I've never seen any 6 cyl singles for sale or mentioned,  so...

Until MS replies, Chockostang is pretty spot on with info, ya may want to call him to confirm. This shot from his site kinda sorta leads you to the answer.

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

4/30/2020 10:02 AM  #3

I ran across something similar on CJPP too.

I talked with coworker yesterday and he doesn’t recall tire diameter, just that they’re made by Cragar.
From his description, sounds like 15” or 14”...guessing 15” on a ‘69.
He wants to get newer tires and wheels anyway.

Thanks Bob!

Last edited by Nos681 (4/30/2020 10:11 AM)

4/30/2020 10:55 AM  #4

All drum brake Mustang spindles from 1967-69 are identical.  Some six cylinder cars even had five lug wheels. 

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

4/30/2020 10:58 AM  #5

Thanks Steve, good to know. No telling how long I'll remember it.

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

4/30/2020 2:54 PM  #6

Thanks Steve.

Bob, if you hit you head again perhaps you’ll forget that you forget.🤣

4/30/2020 4:21 PM  #7

As been mentioned same spindles for 6 or 8 cylinder. The easy way do do a disc brake swap is to use a kit for 65-67 Mustang as they used the drum spindle with a cast bracket to mount the calipers. The calipers are very good 4 piston. Superior to the 68-73 single piston.

Yes some 6 cylinder cars had 5 lug. Those would have the 250 I6. Everything is V8 on them. They used the 8" rear axle, the 250 has the same bellhousing bolt pattern as the SBF. Same with the transmissions, V8 spec.

I'm not a complete idiot.....pieces are missing. Tom

4/30/2020 8:01 PM  #8

Thanks Tom.

My experience is with 65-66.
Great learning opportunity for me when restrictions are lifted here.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.