FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/26/2020 5:00 PM  #1

Fox Body Drive Shaft and WATER TRUNK LEAKING into my 68 FB Trunk!!!!

So I have 2 questions, and the second is MORE Important!

1) I have a friend selling his Aluminum T5 FOXBODY driveshaft......Can I Use that on my 68 FB with a T5???

2) When I wash my car, Im getting Oodles of water tricking like a little tributary down the wheel wells of my trunk and pooling at the bottom of the Rear Quarter Panel, Left side more than the Right............Sooooo Is this normal?  what is typically the Cause?
-Do I drill holes at the bottom of the quarter to drain it out?
-Are those Vents Leaking?

The Car is fully restored and I thought Fully meant LEAK PROOF

Many Thanks,
Jeff

4/26/2020 5:18 PM  #2

Re: Fox Body Drive Shaft and WATER TRUNK LEAKING into my 68 FB Trunk!!!!

The quarter panels should already have drains toward the front of the drop off.

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

4/26/2020 5:45 PM  #3

What Does "Front of the Drop Off" mean?

4/26/2020 6:01 PM  #4

The drop off is the vertical panel on either side of the trunk floor that meets up with seam at the bottom of the rear quarter panel
There is a rubber drain plug at the bottom of the quarter panel that has a rear facing vent.
Your leak may be from a misplaced drain tube on the upper louvered  quarter panel.
Nice car by the way!

Last edited by Rudi (4/26/2020 6:03 PM)

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

4/26/2020 6:13 PM  #5

You WASH tour car with WATER??
I rarely use water on my old 66. Instant detailer most of the time. When it does get wet I blow dry around all the chrome trim (especially the rear window trim)
I'd drill a hole in the bottom of the quarter panel.
No real advantage of an Alum shaft.........butt you need to closely measure your old shaft to decide if it will fit.
6sally6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

4/26/2020 6:20 PM  #6

My drive shaft from my 92 is about 45” centerline to centerline on u-joints.
Way too short for my 65 which is 50-51” as I recall.
I was bummed I couldn’t use it with the T5.

Get measurements from your buddy to verify length.
Measure your driveshaft and compare to be sure.

Last edited by Nos681 (4/26/2020 6:24 PM)

4/26/2020 6:25 PM  #7

Thanks Rudi and Sally....

I will crawl under there tomorrow and check this Drain Plug.....I watched the water trickle down the Wheel Well inside the Trunk, is this Normal???

Sally couple times a year I do was the car fully with soap and water yes   just to remove and finger prints or trapped dirt from humid days and Bugs splattered all over the windshield and Nose....

Back to my leak, I just cant figure why and how water would be trickling steadily down my wheel wells if those Vents are not Leaking, its the only way for water to get in that I can think off....Perhaps I will need new seals? do they sell seals or is this one of those things where you have to make it seal with Liquid Tube Stuff???

4/26/2020 9:42 PM  #8

1.  Too short to fit

2.  Rear window gasket

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

4/27/2020 7:01 AM  #9

MS wrote:

1. Too short to fit

2. Rear window gasket

Rear Window meaning Rear Windshield? its all Brand New, how the %#$@ did/would they install that POORLY and/Or Wrong??? 

4/27/2020 7:30 AM  #10

So many shops don't know how to install the front and rear glass in these older cars, The seal gets glued to the lip on the body and to the glass, both grooves of the seal. I've had a shop argue with me while they tried three times without glue, then I sent my glass guy to the shop and he gave them a lesson. I have taken on several restoration projects for others over the years (65-68) and I don't spray paint anymore (materials are too expensive if I mess up), and I don't install front or rear glass.

4/27/2020 8:53 AM  #11

You should verify that the trunk seal isn't leaking.  If the trunk leaks, water will usually pool in the trunk area rather than in the wheel wells, but it is something to also check out.

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

4/27/2020 10:04 AM  #12

I have also had to argue with installers that the window seals must be sealed with non hardening sealer. Especially on fastbacks where the rear window lower corners form a pool area where water sits there under the stainless trim and has tome to seep through.  If it is not heavily sealed between the glass and the rubber and between the body and the rubber, they will leak quite heavily.

4/28/2020 7:16 AM  #13

I agree with all this, I needed the 69 changed and had a hard time finding someone to do it, and even then they didnt guarantee their works (super weird).....

My only debate on the rear windshield is the trickle pattern....As Mentioned in the initial msg, Its Trickle Streaming Down the Rear of the wheel well Inside the Trunk.......meaning from the Higher Point Up the wheel well, then down towards the taillights.....I cant see how the rear windshield would cause that, I mean itd have to pool and seep enough at the higher point of the windshield/car, then travel all the way down the vent area and quarter, onto that then fall back.......

Both Sides??? (left worse, but that Could be just concentration of water from the hose, I dont know...I think im just going to have to test both the windshield and vent with a hose...focus on the vent first, then move up

4/28/2020 7:32 AM  #14

You could test with just a slow flow from a garden hose and try to observe where water ingress occurs.
I would suggest starting near bottom of window first then work your way upward.
As you slowly work up you may find where leak occurs.

Kinda like the “hole in the bucket dear Liza”

Are there traces of water to help pinpoint?

Last edited by Nos681 (4/28/2020 7:34 AM)

4/28/2020 2:54 PM  #15

Blue painters tape will be your friend. Start masking things off and break out the water hose. 

John  -- 67 Mustang Coupe 390 5 speed

4/28/2020 3:39 PM  #16

I've also heard stories of when some cars were originally built, in some cases instead of the roof panel lap joint to the quarter panel being on top of the quarter panel joint, the quarter panel lap is above the roof joint.  With this incorrect configuration, over time could allow water to go between the joints and enter the trunk area.
This is not a easy job to correct, but something to verify if the rear glass is removed.

4/28/2020 4:34 PM  #17

Also, on my 68 coupe, the rear area of the trunk seal Where it rounds the corner above the taillights, part of the body where the seal fits, was bent downward. Simply pulling up on it allowed t to seal.  This would be s problem with exhaust fumes   A dollar bill laid across the seal where you can grab it and pull it out after closing the decklid will tell you if the seal is working.

4/29/2020 11:08 AM  #18

MS wrote:

Also, on my 68 coupe, the rear area of the trunk seal Where it rounds the corner above the taillights, part of the body where the seal fits, was bent downward. Simply pulling up on it allowed t to seal. This would be s problem with exhaust fumes A dollar bill laid across the seal where you can grab it and pull it out after closing the decklid will tell you if the seal is working.

Years ago a friend had a Nova (a daily driver) with the trunk leak, took to a body man friend who took a rubber mallet and beat it a bit, no more trunk leak.

4/29/2020 3:06 PM  #19

BobE wrote:

Years ago a friend had a Nova (a daily driver) with the trunk leak, took to a body man friend who took a rubber mallet and beat it a bit, no more trunk leak.

Like a good wife?!

A woman a wife a willow tree,
The more you beat 'em the better they be!"
Author unknown (and with good reason I might add!)

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

5/03/2020 6:54 AM  #20

If you want a cheap excellent quality driveshaft you want one from a 94-01 Explorer 4 door 2WD. They are 50.5" long and typically use 1330 U joints. Mustangs many times use a 1310. You can get a 1330/1310 combination, they're pretty common. In my 66 Mustang I have a aluminum shaft out of a 94 V6 Explorer and that has 1310 joints. If you have a 9" you should measure your driveshaft. I believe they are slightly shorter and the Explorer may be too long.

I'm not a complete idiot.....pieces are missing. Tom

5/03/2020 12:46 PM  #21

Huskinhano wrote:

If you want a cheap excellent quality driveshaft you want one from a 94-01 Explorer 4 door 2WD. They are 50.5" long and typically use 1330 U joints. Mustangs many times use a 1310. You can get a 1330/1310 combination, they're pretty common. In my 66 Mustang I have a aluminum shaft out of a 94 V6 Explorer and that has 1310 joints. If you have a 9" you should measure your driveshaft. I believe they are slightly shorter and the Explorer may be too long.

That is the driveshaft that I used - out of a 98 2wd.

68 coupe - 351W, 4R70W, 9" 3.25 -- 65 convertible - 289 4v, C4, 8" 3.00

5/04/2020 9:24 AM  #22

Trunk questions about the beatings... reminded me of an old question. 

Who loves you the most?  Your dog or your wife?

The way to tell:   Close both of them in your car trunk for an hour.  Open the trunk and see which one is happier to see you!

5/04/2020 8:07 PM  #23

6sally6 wrote:

BobE wrote:

Like a good wife?!

A woman a wife a willow tree,
The more you beat 'em the better they be!"
Author unknown (and with good reason I might add!)

And I heard it as:
"A woman, a dog, and a walnut tree -
The more ya beat 'em, the better they be"
Nowadays two out of the three will get you in jail.

68 coupe - 351W, 4R70W, 9" 3.25 -- 65 convertible - 289 4v, C4, 8" 3.00

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.