FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/07/2020 9:47 AM  #1

Am I right to be pissed off? (Exhaust Question)

1966 Mustang Coupe, 1988 5.0 HO Swap, T5z

I had to remove the exhaust manifolds from the headers while swapping cylinder heads.  The exhaust collector dropped a bit and I saw in detail what the exhaust shop had done:

I called the exhaust shop today and he said that he routinely puts flat spots on exhaust for clearance issues.  And that he's done that for all kind of performance cars and that "a 3 inch pipe is a 3 inch pipe" the area doesn't change.  

This is what I saw on the exhaust: 

https://ibb.co/WWwxccX
https://ibb.co/Jz4C0c2
https://ibb.co/jTP8k8p

I've taken fluid mechanics so I understand a thing or two about fluid flow.  You want steady consistent diameter to allow for the air to move freely.

From the continuity equation.  q1 = q2.  Meaning: velocity(1) x Area (1) = Velocity (2) x Area 2.

So the fluid flow will be the same, but obstructions in pipe cause pressure changes and back pressure.  Which is why you want as smooth as possible pipes.

He said to bring it back and he'll cut out that section and fix it.  IDK, feels very amatureish to me and I'm a little bit pissed.

5/07/2020 10:52 AM  #2

Re: Am I right to be pissed off? (Exhaust Question)

I know what you're saying. That's the same basic formula as Ohms law. Here's my thought. Dual exhaust with 2.25" is more then sufficient. That's good to around 450-500 hp. The CSA area of two 2.25" pipe is the same as one 3" pipe. While in theory it should effect flow, you have more then enough area.

Hot Rod Magazine actually did a test on dinging and flattening header tubes for clearance. They literally took a 10 pound sledgehammer and beat the daylights out of the tubes including using the wedge side. It hardly effected power. Don't forget the hotter the exhaust gases, the smaller the pipe it needs.

With a 3" pipe I would imagine you could need a few flat spots for clearance. As long as it was done neatly it wouldn't bother me. I'd rather have that then from hitting the road. Besides even if it did effect performance it wouldn't be in everyday driving

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3vupq0

Last edited by Huskinhano (5/07/2020 10:55 AM)

I'm not a complete idiot.....pieces are missing. Tom

5/07/2020 11:05 AM  #3

There's really two ways of looking at this. Will it affect performance? No, as a 3" exhaust is already too big for that motor.

The second is the workmanship and communication. If it were me I would have preferred the installer would tell me before doing the clearancing. Although it doesn't look like he did a bad job.

5/07/2020 1:02 PM  #4

That looks like some of my handy work...;)  

5/07/2020 1:10 PM  #5

I can understand not wanting a flat spot and agree those occasional flat spots should have been mentioned in the discussions prior to work starting. For what shows in the picture from my phone, it doesn’t look bad. 

It looks like this is taken near the transmission cross member? Are you running single or dual 3” pipes? Does it look like it’s rubbed against whatever is above?

John  -- 67 Mustang Coupe 390 5 speed

5/07/2020 1:18 PM  #6

It definitely doesn't make a difference in power.  I think given the size of the pipe any backpressure change will be minimal. 

Should you be pissed?  I guess it depends.  Stuff like this is exactly why I don't have other people work on my vehicles.  If I have to make a compromise like this at least I know I explored every possible avenue before making it.  I get that I should give others the benefit of that doubt, but I find it hard. 

From his perspective, he's been doing this for however long and probably had very few complaints about stuff like this over the years.  Does that make it right?  Again, I guess it depends.

Ultimately should or shouldn't you be pissed doesn't really matter; you are pissed.  The question becomes how to handle it.  If it bothers you that much I think I'd get it fixed, either have him do it or someone else.  I have to say I'm a believer in the statement that its not about never making mistakes or having problems arise; its about how you handle those things when they do.  As a business owner I'd like to have the opportunity to make a customer happy and have them talking about how I fixed the problem, not how I screwed it up. 

5/07/2020 2:16 PM  #7

I don't have a 3" exhaust.  It's a 2.5" exhaust.  That's the example he used.

5/07/2020 5:28 PM  #8

Like the famous and well known  'sage'  once said............"Ah-simma-down-now.....ah-sima-DOWN-now.....Ah-simma.......-down....-NOW............Ah-simma-down-now!"    The late  Rosanna-Rosanna-danna. RIP

You think THAT'S bent up??!!!    You should see the BFH job I had to do on my pipes.(only difference is...I did it....you paid somebody to beat on yours)
No kidd'in  what you got looks fine.
  Maybe there is a difference in 'fluid' vs gases?!    Once spoken by the man who took a laxative before going to bed! Hence the term  "my so & so just  $hit-the-bed"!

Don't worry about it.......just drive the fool out-of-it.....you'll feel better!
6sally6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

5/07/2020 6:34 PM  #9

I agree with 6S6, drive it and move on. It looks like the guy did a great job at maximizing ground clearance.

Gary Zilik - Pine Junction, Colorado - 67 Coupe, 289-4V, T5

5/07/2020 8:56 PM  #10

Looks like a good job of clearancing. Find the Hot Rod article and look at THEIR hammer work.  Then see their dyno results that showed no discernible difference.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

5/08/2020 7:31 AM  #11

I build my own custom exhaust and I know mandrel bends aren't  the same perfect round dia. as the straights. You have to be creative to butt weld the two of them together.

5/09/2020 8:15 AM  #12

I’d say your right to be angry depends on what you spent.

If you handed the guy $1000-2000 Labor for a mandrel bent 2 day long job worthy of a SEMA car - then yes.

If you handed over $400 labor for a decent driver quality exhaust - then no.

Putting 3” pipe on a Mustang is going to require sacrifices of some sort, ground clearance or pipe shape- even 2.5” pipe can be a pain.  There are some pretty wild “clearance” pipes out there that are manufactured to allow the same area as a 3” pipe, but in all sorts of funky shapes.  Maybe one of those options would better suit you?

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.