FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/16/2020 11:56 PM  #1

the neverending story of electric choke connection .

This is still something that create debate and confusing who has new style alternator  (1 wire )  .
i stll have some doubt  because , from Edelbrock tech center , reply my question that many don't agree . 
So i am little confused . 
Alternator write .:  this connection is provided for el . chocke . 
edelbrock write :  do not use alternator to pick up el. chocke 
edelbrock write : 12 volt key switched  , must be hot all the times , also when running 
Folks says :   12 volt switched but must be hot only on cranck .  After engine is running must shut off .
folks says :  from S teminal of solenoid 
Edelbrock write  : do not pick up from S terminal of  solenoids bcause volts are variable . 
folks says .  :  hook up from S side of alternator . 
edelbrock write  do not pick up from S side of alternator because if are 10 v or 9 volts chocke will not work properly

Now i have it connected with 12 v switched , but hot all the times . Seems working as supposed to be , after warm up at first touch of pedal ,  chocke is disengaged . 
Can you sign a light in this dark matter ...?  i think the question is : This chocke needs 12 volts all the time , also after cranck  , or  shut off after engine is running ? 

Thank you ! 

5/17/2020 1:08 AM  #2

Re: the neverending story of electric choke connection .

I would say you have it right.

"Those telephone poles were like a picket fence"

5/17/2020 5:17 AM  #3

You have it correct.  If the choke shuts off after the engine is running it will stop working and the car will stall when cold.  It needs power KOEO, crank, and run to function properly. 

5/17/2020 6:05 AM  #4

The choke needs 12v switched....”start” and “run” only.

5/17/2020 10:01 AM  #5

Keyed on /run on. Or the wire marked ele choke from new wiring kit.  Once I had a old mech tell me never use the wires from the coil/starter, it can rob power.

Slammed Big Blue, ran over the varmints that messed with the Stang. Now all is good in the NW

5/17/2020 3:31 PM  #6

Nos681 wrote:

The choke needs 12v switched....”start” and “run” only.

switched and under key are the same ?  maybe i have inverted definition .... I used the center pin of ignition switch . the one threated . this turn on when i turn on the key without cranck . Is correct where i pick up for electric chocke ?  
thanks 

5/17/2020 4:38 PM  #7

I'm runnng an edlbrock 1403 with electric choke. I ran the red wire to the fuse box and tapped into the assesory fuse using the Napa fuse adapter shown in the pic. Works perfect and was easy except for the part where I had to stand on my head to see the fuse box.

upload images

5/17/2020 11:06 PM  #8

josh-kebob wrote:

I'm runnng an edlbrock 1403 with electric choke. I ran the red wire to the fuse box and tapped into the assesory fuse using the Napa fuse adapter shown in the pic. Works perfect and was easy except for the part where I had to stand on my head to see the fuse box.

upload images

Yes , i pick up from same wire but coming from switch . Is not under fuse but i think is good too.  My worries was about beeing hot all the times , but all tells   me is all right .  thanks ! 

5/18/2020 11:35 AM  #9

12volt switched, here is the reason why , the coil in the choke is cold and it will hold the choke closed. As you put a 12volt on it the spring it begins to heat up and in turn weakens the spring this allowing the choke to open. It takes time for this to happen, and when it does the engine is warmed up enough to be off the choke circuit. As long as you have a 12 volt switched on the spring is weak and the choke will be off. The beauty of this system is that when you turn the car off the choke spring cools down and resets itself for the next start up. It's a simple system.

65 coupe, 351w, c4, power disk brakes, power r&p, vintage air.

5/19/2020 7:03 AM  #10

The spring in an automatic choke is a bimetallic strip that reacts to heat with different expansion rates.  When it heats up it unwinds which opens the choke.  When it cools down it winds back up pulling the choke back closed.  An electric choke is using current as the source of heat while the hot air chokes capture heat from the exhaust manifold.  Either way, the ideal source of heat will only be generated when the engine is running and not simply when the key is switched on.  Using a key on source is expecting the engine to start right up because that choke spring is going to start heating right away.

Since a choke is meant to assist with the engine starting, it should not start opening before the engine has actually started.  On my Mustang, I wired it to a fused 12v wire from the battery through a relay that is triggered by the alternator stator terminal.  This setup works like the hot air choke except that it uses electrical current as a heat source instead of hot air from the exhaust.  This current is only fed to the choke while the engine is actually running.  The difference will only really be present during cold weather if the engine is not wanting to start right away.

1968 T-code Coupe with a 302.  Nice car, no show stopper for sure, but I like it.

5/19/2020 7:34 AM  #11

I'm going to respectfully disagree.  If the vehicle had a manual choke you would close the choke before trying to start the engine.  An electric choke is no different.  I want the choke energized the minute I turn on the key in preparation for starting, so that when I crank it the choke is already closed (if necessary based on temperature) and the engine is ready to light as soon as possible.  Likewise, it should be energized when cranking otherwise you're cranking with an open choke and its not going to start very easy cold like that. 

There may be people who leave the key on for prolonged periods without starting the car, and in that case I could see not wanting to energize the choke, but I'm not one of those people.  Were I troubleshooting, etc. and needed the key on for a prolonged period I would disconnect the choke, coil, and Ignitor to avoid failure. 

To each his own.  I'm seeing a microcosm of the electric vs. mechanical fan debate brewing...

5/19/2020 11:57 AM  #12

You have the operation of the electric choke backwards.  The choke closes when it's bimetallic coil is cold from not being energized.  It opens when it warms up after being energized.

To "set" the choke, you depress the gas pedal one time before the first attempt at starting the engine.  When the choke bimetallic coil has fully cooled from not being energized, it coils up and attempts to pull the choke blade closed.  However, the fast idle cam actually blocks the blade from fully closing,  When you depress the gas pedal, the fast idle cam is pulled out of the way allowing the choke blade to snap fully closed. 

1968 T-code Coupe with a 302.  Nice car, no show stopper for sure, but I like it.

5/19/2020 12:14 PM  #13

Check out this vintage video for correct starting procedure.  It is appropriate for our vintage Mustangs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BTEdWt2V3s

5/19/2020 4:34 PM  #14

You’re correct Rufus.

When engine cools down, the bimetallic strip coils back up to try to close, hindered by fast idle cam.
That’s why you step on gas at least once fully to allow it close for start up. (Technically a predetermined gap.)
As engine is started, the 12v to the coil starts to heat up and unwind...in the full open direction.
When engine and choke coil are at operating temp, should be full open.
It’s common to make minor adjustments in places where temperatures change seasonally.
Electric chokes require less fiddling around with seasons as compared to heat operated (engine/intake/exhaust chimney) chokes.

Last edited by Nos681 (5/19/2020 4:48 PM)

5/19/2020 6:07 PM  #15

And this is what I love about this site.  Rufus68 is correct.  It doesn't appear that the choke is closed until you hit the throttle, and then it fully closes.  Having never actually done that and really looked at it I assumed (incorrectly) that power closed the choke.  Thanks for the lesson Rufus!

5/20/2020 6:53 PM  #16

Alessandro wrote:

This is still something that create debate and confusing who has new style alternator  (1 wire )  .
i stll have some doubt  because , from Edelbrock tech center , reply my question that many don't agree . 
So i am little confused . 
Alternator write .:  this connection is provided for el . chocke . 
edelbrock write :  do not use alternator to pick up el. chocke 
edelbrock write : 12 volt key switched  , must be hot all the times , also when running 
Folks says :   12 volt switched but must be hot only on cranck .  After engine is running must shut off .
folks says :  from S teminal of solenoid 
Edelbrock write  : do not pick up from S terminal of  solenoids bcause volts are variable . 
folks says .  :  hook up from S side of alternator . 
edelbrock write  do not pick up from S side of alternator because if are 10 v or 9 volts chocke will not work properly

Now i have it connected with 12 v switched , but hot all the times . Seems working as supposed to be , after warm up at first touch of pedal ,  chocke is disengaged . 
Can you sign a light in this dark matter ...?  i think the question is : This chocke needs 12 volts all the time , also after cranck  , or  shut off after engine is running ? 

Thank you ! 

A quick electrical lesson. Wattage is directly proportional to heat or BTU's. If something is designed to work on 12 volts and you reduce the voltage to one half, 6 volts, you have reduced wattage not by one half but by one quarter. That is one quarter of the heat. So you can see reducing voltage even slightly is going to have a big effect on heat. Electric chokes designed to operate off the alternator run at a lower voltage then a lot of aftermarket carburators designed to run off 12 volts such as your Edelbrock. That's why it didn't work very well off the S terminal.

I'm not a complete idiot.....pieces are missing. Tom

5/20/2020 9:09 PM  #17

I'm curious, since Watts = Volts times Amps, can you explain a little further your electrical lesson?  I think I might not be the only one missing a few details of your equation.

5/20/2020 10:46 PM  #18

You can substitute numbers and play.
I had to write it down to remember it myself.

E= volt
I= amp
R= resistance
P= watt

Arrows indicate increase, decrease, remains same.

Last edited by Nos681 (5/20/2020 10:49 PM)

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.