FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/20/2020 10:48 PM  #1

65 coupe cutting out the dash for todays good tunes

What is everyone's view on this. I have a Retro Sound piece of pooh pooh now and just bought a great sounding sony but just dont know if it really is important to not cut the dash. This car has transformed into a wonderful driver.

Slammed Big Blue, ran over the varmints that messed with the Stang. Now all is good in the NW

5/21/2020 5:50 AM  #2

Re: 65 coupe cutting out the dash for todays good tunes

Sounds like an opportunity for a glove box mounting.    

5/21/2020 6:46 AM  #3

I don't like to cut 'em but I believe it's a personal thing.  I'm deaf as a post, especially my tonal range, so I gave up on music a number of years ago.  Don't like it but that's the way it goes.  So, my Model 2 Retro works great for me and gives me BT phone which I love. 
If the tunes are that important to you, hack it.  Done neatly, and from what I can tell that's your style, it will look fine and make the car what you want. 

BB1

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

5/21/2020 6:51 AM  #4

gjz30075 wrote:

Sounds like an opportunity for a glove box mounting.    

I absolutely second this... I could never cut into the dash. If it were me, I would fit a rootin tootin stereo in the glove compartment and find an original non-working radio to fit into the dash as an ornamental feature.
For what it's worth... I have one of those radios similar to what you have and they are kind of average... But I fitted some good quality speakers and an amp. Night and day difference for me. Not as good as a late model car stereo, but it's quite acceptable now.

1964-1/2 D Code Coupe - 289 V8, 4 Speed Toploader, 3.00 ratio rear, Autolite 4100 Carb, 15" tires, Pertronix ignition

5/21/2020 7:44 AM  #5

If you have a custom center console, could hide radio in there.
And could be hidden when parked.
Easy to do if you have an aftermarket A/C, heater, defrost combo in place of stock heater box.

Mine is in glove box...cassette player and controls 10 disc changer in trunk.
Yeah it’s old but sounds much better than any of the stock radio replacements.

Or get stock radio converted to modern internals.
I want to see how these conversions last before spending the money.

I have seen some done nicely with modern radios.

Another option...
Some of the new stereos have a faceplate that can be remotely mounted from the receiver housing.
Kinda like an umbilical cord.
Then faceplate attaches via a plate to stock radio holes without cutting.
Either by bolting bracket on or by magnets to stock location.

5/21/2020 7:48 AM  #6

The original R code cars had a radio delete plate to cover the hole.  I have one in my car.  Please do not hack up the dash.  Mount elsewhere or install a radio designed to fit the hole.  I have a Pioneer head unit that fits in my original console where the trap door used to be. 

Mustang Steve Bash in Gruene, Texas September29-30, 2023

5/21/2020 11:04 AM  #7

I didn't care one way or the other on having a stereo in my 69. But my son wanted to install one so I let him. It kicks a$$ but I only listen to it less than half the time. Drove to Waco and back without turning it on. Like Bullet Bob, I love the blue tooth feature.

If you decide to cut your dash and the next owner is horrified, they can fix it along with the other mods they don't like.

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

5/21/2020 4:36 PM  #8

Keeping your nice original radio is a bad, bad idea ... butt I may be a little biased.
Seriously though, your car, your choice. Like BB sez, I'm sure whatever you do will be as neat as possible. I wouldn't let a cut dash stop me from buying a nice car.

"Those telephone poles were like a picket fence"

5/21/2020 4:45 PM  #9

You plan on entering it  in a concourse e'elagonte show any time in the next 20 years?!  (Didn't thank sew!!)
                              'Go'ta goug'in' ....your car...your choice! 
My phone with blue tooth ear buds blasts out the Drifters/The Tams/Ben E King/other Carolina Beach Music tunes that still-thrill-my drill (If you get my drift! )
6s6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

5/21/2020 6:00 PM  #10

I solved the problem I think with a app for the phone that does everything I want. Mounted deck in trunk. Saved the dash and left the old Retrosound in for the clock for now, mite reinstall the stock AM

Slammed Big Blue, ran over the varmints that messed with the Stang. Now all is good in the NW

5/21/2020 6:37 PM  #11

So show us what you stuffed in the trunk.

Gary Zilik - Pine Junction, Colorado - 67 Coupe, 289-4V, T5

5/21/2020 10:45 PM  #12

OK, the deck is a Sony MEXXB120BT, 45wt x 4 RMS 100wt peak. very clean and gave me the bass that I didn't have at all.  the app is "Sony Music Center" and is BT. On my phone it will run volume, tone,bal,fad,USB with full menu of songs so you can search,Sirius (with adapter) ,CD, Pandora (not need), phone calls, Amp control (dont have amp), display colors of the rainbow (dont need) $185.00 Amazon
If I make a phone mount for one of my old phones i will have full control at the front of my console.

5/22/2020 8:06 AM  #13

Since mine was cut when I bought the car in 1992, it is now fitted with a single DIN bracket, solidly mounted. It requires no rear radio support bracket since it is solidly attached to the dash face.  I gave gotten used to the look of the newer radio, and I enjoy the convenience of phone and USB ports.

I rarely turn it on to listen to music.
That comes from under the hood.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

5/22/2020 8:28 AM  #14

For future car audio...
I ran into something I didn’t know existed last week.  The factory radio in the wifemobile ( Toyota) decided to display hieroglyphs on the screen and freeze up from time to time.  I didn’t want a CD player, just AM/FM/Sirius with some of the modern features like Apple CarPlay.  Ended up with a double din Alpine iLX w650.  What is interesting about it is that it is only 2.4” deep- so it is very shallow and the possibility exists of building a shallow enclosure to face mount it without taking a saw to anything.  I had never seen a radio that shallow- it was more like an LCD screen.  I’m pretty pleased with it’s power and function.

Last edited by Bentworker (5/22/2020 8:28 AM)

5/22/2020 6:59 PM  #15

Here is my finished project, at least until I modify again. 

5/22/2020 8:24 PM  #16

You're just makin' me look bad Chris, you did the horn relay in an hour, the pedal support and brake work in a pleasant day, and now the radio. That's 6 months for me. If I'm lucky.
Looks great to me.

"Those telephone poles were like a picket fence"

5/22/2020 10:54 PM  #17

Well what can I say, it COVID. I am so bored my brother wants to bring his 66 vette over and have me swap out the stock AC for Vintage Air. He said I need to step away from the Stang. LOL we will see
Also I discovered the short after installing the relay I found its the iner horn contact. They seem to move around quite a bit. Going to order a new one

5/23/2020 7:22 AM  #18

Boy Chris, I'm sure glad you got involved.  Jean was just telling me I need to get something to hold my phone in the Heap.  I seem to chase it around the floor too much.  I don't care about the radio butt (TS&T) that's a great idea for planting the phone.

BB1

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

5/23/2020 8:01 AM  #19

BB1
I have an Otter box case for my phone that has silicone rubber outer.
It fits nicely between radio buttons and ashtray.

Open up ashtray, set phone on it, slide ashtray close to clamp in place.

Ended up doing that while using GPS speedometer app for calibration after I had changed rear gears.
I just don’t use my phone for music like a lot of people do.
I use it more as internet computer and  a camera for projects...how does this go back together? 🤣🤣🤣
Maybe someday....yeah right.

Chris
What kind of mount is that for radio?  Just wondering. Marine application?

5/23/2020 5:47 PM  #20

the mount is a  Universal Radio Housing under Dash Mount box $11.00 on Amazon and some aluminum angle scraps

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.