FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/27/2020 8:38 AM  #1

Edelbrock Carburetor Tuning

I love my Edelbrock carb but I had issues when I was trying to follow the Edelbrock manual to select a rod and jet combination to make a small change.  It seemed to me that the steps in the manual were too large to really fine tune the carb.  

So I did what any good engineer would do  - I created a spreadsheet that calculated the areas of different rod and jet combinations.  This allowed me to choose a rod and jet combination that was slightly richer or leaner either in "cruise" or "power" while minimally affecting the other setting ("power" or "cruise").

I sorted the information and added some "how to use" instructions to the bottom of the second sheet.  The information covers the 1403, 1405 and 1406 Edelbrock carburetors specifically and can also be used for other models.

Last edited by John Ha (8/21/2020 8:49 AM)

Founding Member of the Perpetually Bewildered Society

5/28/2020 2:10 AM  #2

Re: Edelbrock Carburetor Tuning

Hello , i had same issue with edelbrock 1403 . After long speek with  mom edel , comes out that was impossible to  lean more than chart . At the end gave me an excel page to use .( rod flow charts )
I think can be a nugget in right hands ... . 
Once yellow spot are filled with rod and jet  size  , pattern move leaner and richer showing with % 
Fill with edel basic settings  and see where %  are  positive or negative . 
unlucky i see excel file cannot be uploaded .  
will send a message to MS if can help 

8/21/2020 9:00 AM  #3

Alessandro wrote:

Hello , i had same issue with edelbrock 1403 . After long speek with  mom edel , comes out that was impossible to  lean more than chart . At the end gave me an excel page to use .( rod flow charts )
I think can be a nugget in right hands ... . 
Once yellow spot are filled with rod and jet  size  , pattern move leaner and richer showing with % 
Fill with edel basic settings  and see where %  are  positive or negative . 
unlucky i see excel file cannot be uploaded .  
will send a message to MS if can help 

This does the same basic thing but you have to use your brain a little more.   :-) I originally did these in Excel and, as you say, they can't be uploaded in that format.  So I converted them to jpg formats and uploaded them that way.  They're as easy to use but don't show all the math.  :-)

8/21/2020 9:02 AM  #4

Adding some information for the 1900 series AVS carbs

9/11/2023 6:28 AM  #5

I uploaded these in their "native" Excel formats to my Google drive.  There are several sheets within the workbook, which are accessible using the tabs at the bottom, and instructions for use pasted on each of the sheets.  The sheet that comes up first has all of the different combinations for all of the carb variations.  There are two large tables on the first sheet.  The left one is sorted by "cruise" and the right one is sorted by "power".

Last edited by John Ha (9/11/2023 6:36 AM)

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.