FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/23/2020 2:53 PM  #1

Lead on 60's Ford Bodies

How prevalent was the use of lead at the factory during production?  I have owned my 1964 Falcon for 28 years and am in the middle of performing body work. The car showed no major signs of damage from the time I bought it. However, in repairing some rust spots, I have found lead in the center of each 'C' pillar (~1"x 3' or 4" ) and a small spot (~1/2"X 1.5") at the base of each 'A' pillar. There is no evidence of any lead anywhere else on the car. Also, the lead-free solder I am using will not bond to the old lead/solder that probably has some lead content.

Last edited by tommy2x4 (6/24/2020 11:08 AM)

6/23/2020 3:37 PM  #2

Re: Lead on 60's Ford Bodies

The two areas mentioned are the only places the factory used it of which I'm aware.  Be real careful removing the old stuff.  Lead can get its way into your system through inhalation of dust or fumes, as well as through your skin.  I like the metal on metal integrity of a body solder, but I've seen significant problems with lead free solder in electronics applications, which would give me pause.  Personally, I's just remove the old lead and use Everglass instead of solder.  My confidence in its long term durability is higher. 

6/23/2020 9:06 PM  #3

As far as I know all car manufacturers used lead in new car production back when.
There was a time in the past when lead was used by body shops to make repairs. Body fillers like Bondo had either not been invented or whatever was available was of poor quality.

6/24/2020 10:16 AM  #4

Thanks for the response. The spots noted are small (slightly smaller than described), and I will leave them alone. They have lasted for 56 years already.
What is the consensus on body fill? Can I go with the Evercoat Rage Ultra rather than the Everglass?

6/24/2020 2:19 PM  #5

If you are just skimming over the existing lead seams absolutely.  Everglass is what I'd recommend if the entire seam needed to be filled, like after a full quarter panel replacement.  That's just due to the potential for flex and the depth of filler required. 

7/30/2020 1:47 PM  #6

I just found this Ford archival film. Check minute mark 21:37 for the 'solder' part.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIibGVQQMpA

Last edited by tommy2x4 (7/30/2020 1:47 PM)

7/30/2020 5:22 PM  #7

Thanks Tommy. The whole film was interesting.  I worked at Tilden Mine for just 2 weeks short of my 2 year anniversary.  As I recall, my final layoff technically would have been the 5th lay-off after the 25th anniversary of Tilden in operation.  Just prior, all of the hype...propaganda 😜...about operating another 25 years...they just didn’t say consecutive 25 years.😂😂😂.  With a family, I moved on and they called me to see if I was interested in returning.  I kindly declined.  I had some great supervisors and enjoyed the work...just not the lay-off and being unemployed.

BTW, when they were combining Empire Mine and Tilden Mine workforce, the junior electrician had 29.5 years.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.