FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/29/2020 7:20 AM  #1

Resonator for Exhaust

So I have a drone going on at 2300 rpm that really is annoying. Would a resonator cure this ?
I use to have an H pipe with two no name mufflers, Drone was all over the place.
Changed to X pipe and Hooker aerochamber mufflers, much better but still drone at 2300 rpm when accelerating/under load. The Mach 1 is sound damped inside nearly the whole car. Should I analyze at which frequency the drone appears and do the math and build something that works or just buy something of the shelf and put it inline with the mufflers ?

Regards Rob

6/29/2020 10:57 AM  #2

Re: Resonator for Exhaust

Walker Quiet Flow mufflers is a sure cure. Throaty when accelerating. Quiet when at highway cruise speed.  I tried four different mufflers before I found them.  I have resonators between mufflers and headers.  Probably not best position for a resonator, but they are no longer needed with the Walkers.  They did nothing to eliminate drone on the first four mufflers.  I will remove them if I ever modify the front half of the system.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

6/29/2020 12:49 PM  #3

I believe Ford spent a ton of money to eliminate drone. In stock form GT big and small block used a transverse muffler behind the axel and resonators in front of the axel. No drone!
That system used with a modded engine has a very pleasing sound, like Steve’s Walkers, nice growl at start up and hammer down but quiet at cruise.
I don’t know what that set up sounds like without the resonators but I’ll bet not the same. Ford would not spend 2 cents if they did not have to.
I have been asked many times if I changed the exhaust when I replaced the 289 with a 331. The answer, no but the car has a totally different sound. The 289 never growled and was always quiet.
At idle when you stand beside the 331 you can certainly hear that it’s not stock.

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

6/29/2020 3:44 PM  #4

My drone disappeared when I installed TAILPIPES!  If yours dump in front of the rear axle (or after for that matter) Drone is your new-best-friend!
Run the pipes out the REAR and that helps greatly.
6sal6
PS.......Daze and Tubo have posted a cure for drone that should be in the archives. A 'dead-head- pipe' or something to that effect. Another "cure" is to have one muffler further toward the rear than the other. Suppose to 'mess-up' the resonance of each exhaust pipe talking to the other or some-such.
Give it a try!

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

6/29/2020 4:12 PM  #5

WOW   I JUST HIT A GRAND SLAM!! 6 posts in a row!!! YEAH.....TAKE THAT!!!!!
6sally6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

6/29/2020 11:32 PM  #6

Thanks
I looked at the walker product line, couldnt really find a universal ultra quiet muffler. I had tailpipes before without making any difference, drone was there. 

6/30/2020 9:26 AM  #7

6sally6 wrote:

WOW   I JUST HIT A GRAND SLAM!! 6 posts in a row!!! YEAH.....TAKE THAT!!!!!
6sally6

That ain't nothing compared to TKO 🤣

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

6/30/2020 10:07 AM  #8

Walker # 21856

Do a search on this site for Walker Quiet Flow for alot more info.  Quite a few guys on FYI are using them.

6/30/2020 10:46 AM  #9

MS wrote:

Walker # 21856

Do a search on this site for Walker Quiet Flow for alot more info.  Quite a few guys on FYI are using them.

I'm using them. I purchased from summit. I also searched summit for one's with the deminsions for my application. Happy with how they sound.

6/30/2020 2:59 PM  #10

josh-kebob wrote:

MS wrote:

Walker # 21856

I'm using them. I purchased from summit. I also searched summit for one's with the deminsions for my application. Happy with how they sound.

Good point, Josh.  The 21856 is 2-1/2" in/out and is a little longer than most like to have.  I bet they have a 2-1/4" and a 2" version as well.  Seems like OReilly had a real good price on the 21856 last time I checked.

6/30/2020 4:50 PM  #11

Mine are part number 22430

7/01/2020 5:00 AM  #12

Great info thanks :-)

7/01/2020 8:15 AM  #13

My straight through pipes exiting in front of right rear wheel work so well I just can't hear a drone! I'm sure it is there somewhere.

7/01/2020 9:23 AM  #14

DC wrote:

My straight through pipes exiting in front of right rear wheel work so well I just can't hear a drone! I'm sure it is there somewhere.

Ditto. My lazy install of dumping the pipes at the axle was no bueno.

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

7/01/2020 9:32 AM  #15

Walker Quiet Flows #21856 is the way to go.  I have them on my car and I have been asked what I have by a lot of mustangers who stated they really like the sound.  The only one who doesn't like the sound is 6Sally6; he prefers open pipes.  I'm running a 351 windsor, highly modified 425 HP engine with JBA headers.  The Walker mufflers are too long for fitment and have to be modified for best fitment.  Mustang Steve installed mine and I am very pleased with the sound.  I can actually play my stereo while driving down the road.

Mustang Steve Bash in Gruene, Texas September29-30, 2023

7/01/2020 2:48 PM  #16

I fitted and love the Walker Quiet Flows. Pretty much as Steve describes and no drone for me either.
Originally I had a single pipe system, so I fitted a 2-1/2 inch Walker. Recently I changed over to a twin exhaust system and went with two 2-1/4 inch Walkers.
I ordered from Rock Auto.

1964-1/2 D Code Coupe - 289 V8, 4 Speed Toploader, 3.00 ratio rear, Autolite 4100 Carb, 15" tires, Pertronix ignition

7/02/2020 9:07 AM  #17

Josh.  What size pipes on that Walker muffler you have?

Stevo.   Do you have the part number for the 2-1/4” Walkers?  What is the body length?

The mod on the 2-1/2” ones is to simply cut off both 3” extensions, down to about 3/4”.  Then butt weld the pipes to the mufflers. That effectively makes the muflers over 4” shorter than they come out of the box.  They are a tight fit but fit the car perfect once trimmed.

7/02/2020 9:09 AM  #18

Steve, I'm running a 2" exhaust system

7/02/2020 9:16 AM  #19

josh-kebob wrote:

Steve, I'm running a 2" exhaust system

What is the body length?  Have you driven it on the highway to verify no drone?

Once I have info on Stevo’s and yours, I will make a post on the how-to page listing all three for quick & easy future reference. 

If you guys have any pics of the install, please post them.

Last edited by MS (7/02/2020 9:17 AM)

7/02/2020 9:22 AM  #20

Muffler case length is 16", overall length is 21".

Highway driven, seems quiet to me. Drone? No, I don't believe I'm experiencing that.

Last edited by josh-kebob (7/02/2020 8:25 PM)

7/03/2020 5:19 PM  #21

MS wrote:

Stevo. Do you have the part number for the 2-1/4” Walkers? What is the body length?

Hey Steve!
The part numbers for mine are - 21856.
The body length (not including the inlet and outlet pipes) measure 18.9".
I have driven the car on freeways and up in the hills (where I really gave it some) and there is no drone. It idles nicely (would post a video if the forum allows it) and when I give it some, I can hear the throaty sound. As best I know, the exhaust guy didn't have to cut the mufflers to make them fit and he didn't say there were any problems fitting them.

1964-1/2 D Code Coupe - 289 V8, 4 Speed Toploader, 3.00 ratio rear, Autolite 4100 Carb, 15" tires, Pertronix ignition

7/03/2020 5:20 PM  #22

Last edited by Stevo (7/03/2020 5:21 PM)

7/03/2020 5:22 PM  #23

7/03/2020 5:27 PM  #24

7/03/2020 5:50 PM  #25

Stevo wrote:

I like the setup at outlet of muffler.
Disconnect tailpipes and install turn downs while visiting Sally!😎

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.