FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/10/2020 12:00 PM  #1

Front end alignment

Trying to do my front end alignment. What is the best way to get more positive caster. Seems to me if you add or remove equal amounts of spacers to the front and back of the upper 'A' arm you will change camber but not caster. Do you add spacers in the front and remove in the back to get positive caster or vice-versa. I have a camber kit on the car so I am more interested in caster. 

If this forum can't fix it, it isn't broke.

7/10/2020 12:47 PM  #2

Re: Front end alignment

Yes Walt, add shims at the front and remove 'em at the back to increase caster.  Butt...be careful not to hose the camber more than the camber kit can compensate for.  Also...and this is where I had trouble on the way to Ft. Walton Beach in '17...when you get enough angle on the UCA shaft to give 5 or so degrees of caster you can have so much angle on the shims that they aren't clamped evenly enough to keep them from working around and falling out.  That can create a problem.  My solution was to machine a solid three degree shim out of 1/2" steel to engage the front and rear bolt.  Then I used regular shims to achieve 4+ degrees of caster.  Still not totally happy with the setup but at least it stays together.

Good luck, our best to Brenda, you and the family.

BB1

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

7/11/2020 7:26 PM  #3

Thanks Bob, I thought that was the way to go but thought it was time consuming and figured it was easier to start in the right direction rather than guess. I an just going to start with 3 degrees and see how that works. You guys take care out there.

Last edited by wsinsle (7/11/2020 7:26 PM)

7/11/2020 8:48 PM  #4

What year is the car?   After 66, there are otter options.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

7/12/2020 5:17 AM  #5

Don't know if this will help but I just made my first foray into that world with my 66 convertible.  I recently redid the upper control arms and offset the shaft 1/2 turn for a bit more caster.  I logged what I did with the shims and the readings.  I was pretty surprised by some of the results.  See the graphic below 

Founding Member of the Perpetually Bewildered Society

7/12/2020 7:07 AM  #6

The best way to add positive caster is to go to adjustable strut rods after doing the Shelby/Arning drop.  Adding an equal amount of shims front and back won't change anything but camber.  You have to angle the UCA rearward to get positive caster, and you see the limitations of this.  The drop builds in positive caster.  The adjustable strut rods then allow you to dial in more, like the '67-up cars.  I was able to get 3.5 degrees of positive caster, which is where you want to be with power steering and modern tires. 

7/12/2020 3:51 PM  #7

i did the drop and after i lined it to 3.5+ and some camber the 65 drives like it should, GREAT

Slammed Big Blue, ran over the varmints that messed with the Stang. Now all is good in the NW

7/14/2020 7:34 AM  #8

MS wrote:

What year is the car? After 66, there are otter options.

It's a 66, I did put a camber kit on it which makes it go a little easier. Got the driver side last night. 3.5 deg. caster 1/4 deg. camber. Hit the passanger side tonight then recheck.

7/14/2020 7:38 AM  #9

John Ha wrote:

Don't know if this will help but I just made my first foray into that world with my 66 convertible.  I recently redid the upper control arms and offset the shaft 1/2 turn for a bit more caster.  I logged what I did with the shims and the readings.  I was pretty surprised by some of the results.  See the graphic below 

Yes it does help, thanks. Gives me a rough idea how much the shims make a change.

7/14/2020 7:41 AM  #10

TKOPerformance wrote:

The best way to add positive caster is to go to adjustable strut rods after doing the Shelby/Arning drop.  Adding an equal amount of shims front and back won't change anything but camber.  You have to angle the UCA rearward to get positive caster, and you see the limitations of this.  The drop builds in positive caster.  The adjustable strut rods then allow you to dial in more, like the '67-up cars.  I was able to get 3.5 degrees of positive caster, which is where you want to be with power steering and modern tires. 

I put adjustable strut rods on mine but just wanted to use that for some final tweaks at the end to make both sides the same.

7/15/2020 4:55 AM  #11

wsinsle wrote:

TKOPerformance wrote:

I put adjustable strut rods on mine but just wanted to use that for some final tweaks at the end to make both sides the same.

Trying to set both caster and camber using one point of adjustment is going to be less than ideal.  Pretty sure that's why Ford changed to adjustable strut rods in '67.  There's a lot more adjustment at the strut rod than by shimming the UCA.  I also get worried the thicker that shim stack gets.  Its not uncommon to hear of the shims being spit out, UCA nuts loosening, etc.  You want the correct settings with the least amount of shims.  Shimming can also effect tire clearance if its already marginal. 

7/15/2020 7:04 AM  #12

Adding more caster by shortening the lower strut can cause the LCA bushing to be put in a bind, which can cause the bushing to slide in the LCA and then the the arm rubs the frame.  If you are going to the extreme, say, more than three degrees positive caster, it is s good idea to tack weld the LCA bushing to the arm body so it cannot slide.   Even then, keep an eye on the wear at the bushing if yours appear to be in a bind.

Adjustment at the upper arm is more difficult, but it does keep the LCA bushing from binding.  This is why so many aftermarket lower control arms use a spherical bushing, but those things are noisy and harsh.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

7/15/2020 8:30 AM  #13

I installed these to replace my lower control arm rubber bushings.
They come in black or red.
I used black.

As well as offset my upper control shafts one full revolution as well as the grease grooves.

Note: Made minor clearance on inside edge of upper control arms as well...with no shims installed. With alignment shims installed, probably didn’t need to do it....figured better do it now JIC.

Still using stock strut rods with poly bushings.
I use moly based paste/lube on strut rods and this is a street driven car.
Important thing is make sure sway bar is centered to prevent damage to strut rods.

Just out of curiosity and experimentation, I tightened the lower control arm while still on jack stands to see how well it worked....dreamy!😁

The rubber bushings would hold the lower control arm in any position you tightened up the bolt.
The poly bushings allowed the control arm freedom to pivot as it should.

Last edited by Nos681 (7/15/2020 1:00 PM)

7/15/2020 3:24 PM  #14

I've had poly bushings in the whole front end for 25 years now. 

7/15/2020 3:36 PM  #15

Walt, I think the instructions for all the aftermarket strut rods say to only use them to equal out side to side.
Let us know how it drives when you get it mobile.

"Those telephone poles were like a picket fence"

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.