FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/06/2020 9:16 PM  #1

vintage air sure fit series glove box

anyone out there that has installed a vintage air sure fit system, for a 66 mustang? that has any information on how to install the glove box liner? tricks, anything?

8/06/2020 10:55 PM  #2

Re: vintage air sure fit series glove box

Well I just cut my almost new factory one down, I used pop rivets for the 2 rear corners and it looks stock. Not sure how there works but mine is a little bit deeper. figured I had nothing to lose. It worked

Slammed Big Blue, ran over the varmints that messed with the Stang. Now all is good in the NW

8/07/2020 9:47 AM  #3

I made a five-piece replacement box that is assembled in the hole from the front.  It's made of ABS and is held together with #6 sheet metal screws.  By running the right louver duct over the box I was able to design a box that is 1" or so shallower than the original and will actually hold stuff.  Mine is made of white ABS so it is also much easier to see into.  It's easy to remove for access to the Vintage Air system, radio, EEC, etc.

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

8/07/2020 10:30 AM  #4

Bullet Bob wrote:

I made a five-piece replacement box that is assembled in the hole from the front.  It's made of ABS and is held together with #6 sheet metal screws.  By running the right louver duct over the box I was able to design a box that is 1" or so shallower than the original and will actually hold stuff.  Mine is made of white ABS so it is also much easier to see into.  It's easy to remove for access to the Vintage Air system, radio, EEC, etc.

Great idea the white glove box, akin to painting the underside of the dash white. Old eyes need that.
Where You you get ABS in that thickness?

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

8/07/2020 11:36 AM  #5

I cut the top out of mine and it went right in.  Has been a while so don’t remember details.  I have my MSD box in there.

You are talking about the ABS box that comes with the ac unit, right?

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

8/07/2020 4:18 PM  #6

Rudi wrote:

Bullet Bob wrote:

Great idea the white glove box, akin to painting the underside of the dash white. Old eyes need that.
Where You you get ABS in that thickness?

I buy 1/8" and 1/16" full and 1/2 sheets of ABS from a plastics place in Grand Junction.  It bends with a little heat so it's fairly easy to work with.  I use it for all kinds of stuff.  For the glove box I used 1/16" in white.  One side of this stuff is textured, other side smooth.  I'm sure you can buy small quantities on line
That POS that Vintage Air provided was just....well, a POS.

If I can get a decent photo I'll try to post it if anyone is interested.

BB1

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

8/07/2020 4:57 PM  #7

not what I am wanting to hear. you'd think for over a thousand bucks they could come up with something useable

8/07/2020 8:41 PM  #8

I installed a Vintage Air kit in my '65 Fastback along with their plastic replacement glovebox. I don't recall the details of the installation so it must have been easy. I have a fair amount of junk stashed in it so it's not completely useless.

8/07/2020 9:14 PM  #9

I need to reword my statement of "useable", haven't seen anything in the instructions as to how to put it in. I believe I have all the installation instructions from when I put it in 8 years ago.

Last edited by val fulesday (8/07/2020 9:14 PM)

8/12/2020 3:12 PM  #10

I installed the Vintage A/C system on my 65 two years ago and do not remember any issues installing the glove box.  I just looked at the instructions Vintage supplies and did not see any specific installation instructions for the glove box.  I do not use the glove box for much as I have a console, but haven't had any issues with it.

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.