FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/10/2020 11:13 AM  #1

1966 MUSTANG IDLER ARM QUESTION

ARE THE POWER STEERING AND MANUAL IDLER ARMS THE SAME? 

Its really me....I fixed my caps lock .

8/10/2020 12:49 PM  #2

Re: 1966 MUSTANG IDLER ARM QUESTION

No.  The manual arm has a smaller bushing that allows the arm to easily rotate.  The PS arm has a bushing that is about .140 larger in diameter and is designed to be clamped to the bracket by torquing the nut.  Then with the center sleeve of the bushing clamped, the outer sleeve forces the rubber bushing to flex as the steering is moved.  This flexing of the bushing acts to help return the steering to center. 
The PS arm is not available from what I can find though the bushing is available from NPD and probably others.  Josh found an NOS NIB PS arm six years ago or so and I was able to buy it for many $$$.  Butt (TS&T) with the stock PS and especially the Borgenson box it really helps center return when dealing with limited caster.

BB1

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

8/10/2020 12:54 PM  #3

I CANT FIND ANYWHERE ONLINE SHOWING THEY ARE DIFFERENT....SOME EVEN HAVE THEM LISTED AS "FIT'S POWER OR MANUAL"  ON A 1966 CAUSE IT WAS MORE OF A ADD ON POWER STEERING THAT YEAR.

8/10/2020 3:34 PM  #4

Here's two links for the bushing from NPD.  Notice that the photo in the first link shows a plain inner bushing sleeve.  The photo in the second link clearly shows little teeth on the inner steel sleeve.  Also in the info for the second bushing it CLEARLY states  that it fits "the original idler arm only".  That means it will not fit in what's being reproduced today since only the MS arm is being repoped.  The either arm will work on either MS or PS but you will get no return to center help from the MS arm. 
To answer the original question...no, they are not the same.  However, they can be interchanged.

https://www.npdlink.com/product/bushing-idler-arm-upper/148653?backurl=search%2Fproducts%3Fsearch_terms%3Didler%252Barm%252Bbushing%252Bupper%26top_parent%3D200001%26year%3D                      

https://www.npdlink.com/product/bushing-idler-arm-upper/148652?backurl=search%2Fproducts%3Fsearch_terms%3Didler%252Barm%252Bbushing%252Bupper%26top_parent%3D200001%26year%3D

Last edited by Bullet Bob (8/10/2020 3:38 PM)

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

8/10/2020 6:58 PM  #5

Interesting - thanks for the clarification. I was researching this as well since the P/S Idler Arm for a six is annoying expensive compared to the M/S and V8 options

https://www.npdlink.com/product/idler-arm-includes-bracket/148648?backurl=search%2Fproducts%3Fsearch_terms%3Didler%252Barm%26top_parent%3D200001%26year%3D

Beautiful Red 1965 Coupe 5.0L conversion - So it goes

8/10/2020 10:25 PM  #6

I HAD ORDERED ONE IN WITH SOME OTHER PARTS BEFORE I REALIZED IT WAS FOR A POWER STEERING CAR. SO I ORDERED THE RIGHT ONE TODAY AT LEAST I CAN COMPARE THEM TAKE A FEW PICTURES AND BE READY FOR THE NEXT PERSON THAT ASK.

Last edited by BILLY WALTON from GEORGIA (8/10/2020 10:26 PM)

8/11/2020 9:16 PM  #7

65to93 wrote:

Interesting - thanks for the clarification. I was researching this as well since the P/S Idler Arm for a six is annoying expensive compared to the M/S and V8 options

https://www.npdlink.com/product/idler-arm-includes-bracket/148648?backurl=search%2Fproducts%3Fsearch_terms%3Didler%252Barm%26top_parent%3D200001%26year%3D

First, welcome to the best place on the web.  Hope you find all the info you need and if these guys don't have it someone will surely tell you where to go....ah, I mean where to get the info.
Also, keep a watch for Bash info.  We get together some place in the country every year (20 - 30 couples or more) for a great time.  And no excuses about not having your car ready.  Drive the "Kia" if necessary, just get there.  I guarantee you will find the best group of folks you ever met.

Now in response to your post:  I know absolutely nothing about the six cyl steering gear, other than it is apparently not as strong as the V8 stuff and it uses four-lug hubs.  But I'll bet someone will chime in so just be patient.

BB1

8/11/2020 10:41 PM  #8

Bullet Bob wrote:

No.  The manual arm has a smaller bushing that allows the arm to easily rotate.  The PS arm has a bushing that is about .140 larger in diameter and is designed to be clamped to the bracket by torquing the nut.  Then with the center sleeve of the bushing clamped, the outer sleeve forces the rubber bushing to flex as the steering is moved.  This flexing of the bushing acts to help return the steering to center. 
The PS arm is not available from what I can find though the bushing is available from NPD and probably others.  Josh found an NOS NIB PS arm six years ago or so and I was able to buy it for many $$$.  Butt (TS&T) with the stock PS and especially the Borgenson box it really helps center return when dealing with limited caster.

BB1

That’s interesting.  This winter I had my power steering apart and it doesn’t act the way you described.

I didn’t replace it, just cleaned up and installed.
BTW, I wasn’t able to separate the two pieces.
There was no play and I haven’t had problems returning to center...before or after.
When assembled, I was able to rotate the frame portion to install bolts.

Tried to listen to my dad’s advice....”If it ain’t broke don’t fix it.”

8/12/2020 7:26 AM  #9

Yup, that's a manual steering arm, probably installed by some PO.  Or...maybe your car never had a PS arm due to some change of thinking at Ford.  Maybe the car was built on Friday, or mine was.  Maybe everything I think I know is BS, or....or....or.....

BB1

8/12/2020 10:51 AM  #10

Bullet Bob wrote:

Yup, that's a manual steering arm, probably installed by some PO.  Or...maybe your car never had a PS arm due to some change of thinking at Ford.  Maybe the car was built on Friday, or mine was.  Maybe everything I think I know is BS, or....or....or.....

BB1

Imagine that.😂😂😂.
Mine is a late build 65 (July) and I have found parts used on 66’s.
Thanks for information, now I know what I need as a replacement part.

Last edited by Nos681 (8/12/2020 10:55 AM)

8/13/2020 5:02 PM  #11

65to93 wrote:

HOLY COW MY MOOG IDLER ARM WAS ONLY LIKE $50.00 

8/13/2020 9:14 PM  #12

My 1964 V8 Falcon Convertible buddy was just here and we are trying to figure out how to replace the worn out idler arm on the Falcon.  Be happy you don't have a 64 Falcon V8 Vert.

BB1

8/14/2020 10:12 PM  #13

Thanks for the introduction, Bullet Bob. I stumbled on the MS website through eBay. Ended up with a very nice clutch cable. Glad to hear there is lots of knowledge here, I'll need it, and hope to contribute.

This sounds like I need to do more research🤔. Thanks for the insight!

Beautiful Red 1965 Coupe 5.0L conversion - So it goes

8/15/2020 10:25 PM  #14

BILLY WALTON from GEORGIA wrote:

I HAD ORDERED ONE IN WITH SOME OTHER PARTS BEFORE I REALIZED IT WAS FOR A POWER STEERING CAR. SO I ORDERED THE RIGHT ONE TODAY AT LEAST I CAN COMPARE THEM TAKE A FEW PICTURES AND BE READY FOR THE NEXT PERSON THAT ASK.

Definitely add pictures Billy.
I would like to see the differences.

Welcome to the family 65to93!

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.