FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/13/2020 4:31 PM  #1

best inexpensive headers for 66 Mustang

Hello Everyone.  Hope you all are well and staying safe.  I wanted to see if someone could give me a recommendation on some headers for my Mustang.  it is a 66 mustang with a 302 with 351 windsor heads on it.  I am running the Mustang Steve cable clutch conversion on it with the power brake booster.  I also have a Borgeson power steering box. any reccomendations would be appriciated.

Thanks

Last edited by Evan (8/13/2020 4:32 PM)

8/13/2020 5:58 PM  #2

Re: best inexpensive headers for 66 Mustang

What is currently installed?

Gary Zilik - Pine Junction, Colorado - 67 Coupe, 289-4V, T5

8/13/2020 6:05 PM  #3

I have had expensive and cheap, long, mid, and short tube. On a 289/302/5.0 and 351. I believe there are two options, either JBA stainless mid-length or Hi-Po Manifolds.

With your configuration (cable clutch and Borgenson) I would put a set of Hi-Po manifolds on it and never look back.

8/13/2020 6:18 PM  #4

kardad wrote:

I have had expensive and cheap, long, mid, and short tube. On a 289/302/5.0 and 351. I believe there are two options, either JBA stainless mid-length or Hi-Po Manifolds.

With your configuration (cable clutch and Borgenson) I would put a set of Hi-Po manifolds on it and never look back.

Made that decision in 06.  Bought a new set from NPD, brushed on a coat of Por-15 Exh paint and they still look great today.  And....everything clears and fits.

BB1

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

8/13/2020 6:44 PM  #5

I love the sound of long tube headers on a small block V-8 butt...............don't get Patriots and don't get Blackjack!
The Blackjacks fit great butt...........they hang down to about 4 inches of the road..
The Patriots are a nightmare to fit and you need to bash two of the primary pipes almost flat because they just flat-don't-fit!!!
Maybe Hedmans are a little better?!  The set I had on it for nearly 20 years fit great butt......since they came on the car when I bought it and they were rusty X-2 there was no identifying them.
The truth be told............when stuff was made 20+ years ago (mostly in USA) they fit like they were suppose to butt now......there's no pride put into most stuff that's built. "Slang-it-together-and-call-it-close-enough" seems to be the motto.
JBA must be the only headers that fit therefore...............they charge a premium.
6sally6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

8/14/2020 5:07 AM  #6

JBAs won't fit with a Borgeson box unless you put a sizeable dent in one of the tubes.  FPA are the ones everyone seems to rave about.  They are not cheap, but in my experience, good exhaust parts aren't cheap.  Cheap means ill fitting and short lived.  Expensive hits the wallet hard initially, but you never buy another set again.

8/14/2020 5:49 AM  #7

FPA headers are not cheap nor are they inexpensive.

8/14/2020 6:53 AM  #8

I put FPAs on my car.  They fit very well and are by far the easiest set of headers I've ever installed. I think I had both sides installed in less than 20 minutes, with most of that time spent tightening down the header bolts.

As noted, they aren't cheap, but IMO they are worth every penny.

8/14/2020 9:26 AM  #9

I agree with Kardad, a set of Hipo manifold properly coated would look good, improve performance and solve a lot of clearance issues. As for sound you can solve that with muffler choice.

"anyone that stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty"Henry Ford

8/14/2020 9:42 AM  #10

IMHO get the best you can afford and get them coated. As sally stated the cheaper one don't fix right, and from what I have seen they are made with thinner material, meaning the wont last. On my car I have a 351w with headman mid lengths. They tuck up nice, and clear everything  

65 coupe, 351w, c4, power disk brakes, power r&p, vintage air.

8/14/2020 5:13 PM  #11

Awesome thank you all so much this gives me some avenues to look into.  I appreciate the guidance and recommendations.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.