FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/14/2019 5:02 PM  #1

Anyone have 01 Bullitt wheels narrowed ?

On my 67 vert, I have a set of factory 01 bullet wheels with 1” spacers.  Soon to be adding the 13” cobra disks up front.  It’s manual steering and a bit of a bear, so seems like I remember somebody having their front wheels narrowed by 1” to eliminate the need for a spacer and run a slightly smaller tire.

Anyone here done this?   Results or tips?

2/14/2019 9:32 PM  #2

Re: Anyone have 01 Bullitt wheels narrowed ?

I had mine done by weldcraft wheels in the Detroit area. Go to weldcraftwheels.com for more info.  Did a great job but it'll cost you in shipping costs, etc...

2/15/2019 10:28 AM  #3

Anyone in Florida, or the southeast that can do it?

2/15/2019 10:40 AM  #4

Google is your friend...

2/15/2019 1:14 PM  #5

I also used Weldcraft. I'm in SE Virginia. Shipping was about $60 as I recall. I used the same specs as MS did. They did a great job.

"anyone that stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty"Henry Ford

2/15/2019 1:32 PM  #6

josh-kebob wrote:

Google is your friend...

Well,  thanks....  I had not thought of that.   

Actually,  I have looked a few times.  There used to be a place In Miami, but they don’t seem to turn up now.   I also prefer to do business with people who have had successful transactions vs just rolling the dice.

Last edited by caveeagle (2/15/2019 1:33 PM)

2/16/2019 12:52 PM  #7

American Racing now makes a torque Thrust “M” wheel in 17x7 that matches the Bullitt 17x7 and it comes in a usable offset. It is cheaper to buy them new than to narrow a Bullitt wheel. When I had my Bullitts narrowed, there was no other option available. I had mine narrowed at Wheels America in Dallas. At last contact, over ten years ago, they wanted $200 a wheel to narrow them. BB Wheels online sells them new for around $169 each.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

2/16/2019 3:43 PM  #8

Had 1" spacers on my 2000 bullets for about 10 years now.  Had no issues with them.  I have a 235 17" tire on front and a 275 17" on the back.

2/16/2019 6:04 PM  #9

MS wrote:

American Racing now makes a torque Thrust “M” wheel in 17x7 that matches the Bullitt 17x7 and it comes in a usable offset. It is cheaper to buy them new than to narrow a Bullitt wheel. When I had my Bullitts narrowed, there was no other option available. I had mine narrowed at Wheels America in Dallas. At last contact, over ten years ago, they wanted $200 a wheel to narrow them. BB Wheels online sells them new for around $169 each.

Are these the ones?   

https://www.bbwheelsonline.com/american-racing-torq-thrust-m-wheels-rims-17x7-5x4-5-5x114-3-gun-metal-0mm-offset-AR105M7765A/

They seem to be even cheaper at $126

Just wondering how close the color will match my ford wheels?   I would like to keep the 17x8 on the rears.  And just replace the front with 17x7 to eliminate the spacers.

2/17/2019 7:12 PM  #10

I went the same route as MS and had my front wheels narrowed 1" by the same business in Dallas. It was a bit spendy and I ended up with 245/45-17 in back and 235/45-17 in the fronts. No spacers front or back. Just have to remember to not rotate the tires front to back or there will be problems with rubbing. I used 2004 Bullitt wheels and the back ones fit my 9" rear end with no clearance issues.

68 coupe - 351W, 4R70W, 9" 3.25 -- 65 convertible - 289 4v, C4, 8" 3.00

2/17/2019 8:40 PM  #11

Thanks Ron,,

That’s what I want to do...   I already know then 17x8 stock 2001 wheels will fit on the rears. 

That price on the torq thrust M wheels is very tempting.  I’m just thinking with my luck,  either the finish will not match and look bad,  or the stock center caps won’t fit.....

2/18/2019 12:12 AM  #12

2004 Bullitt wheels narrowed 1" - also 2006 Mustang center caps.

68 coupe - 351W, 4R70W, 9" 3.25 -- 65 convertible - 289 4v, C4, 8" 3.00

2/18/2019 12:42 AM  #13

MS wrote:

Steve, do these wheels have a problem with cobra brakes, like the torque thrust II?
Looks like 4" backspace ... I thought 4.25 was ideal for a 7" rim.

"Those telephone poles were like a picket fence"

2/18/2019 9:51 PM  #14

The M wheels clear cobra brakes just like factory Bullit.

4” backspacing works ok if reasonable tire size is used and fender lip is rolled on 65-66..

8/16/2020 7:35 PM  #15

Sorry for digging up my old question,  but....

I am finally ready to do something the get rid of the wheel spacers on my car.   Sounds like the Torque thrust M, in 17x7 should be perfect to eliminate the 1” spacers.  

can anyone confirm what backspacing I need?   I think I found some with a 4.0 backspacing.  

8/16/2020 8:48 PM  #16

I think the Torque thrust M, in 17x7, only come in 4" backspacing.
It's a shame no one seems to make a 7" wheel with 4.25" backspacing.

8/16/2020 8:53 PM  #17

50vert wrote:

I think the Torque thrust M, in 17x7, only come in 4" backspacing.
It's a shame no one seems to make a 7" wheel with 4.25" backspacing.

I think I see them in 4.00 and 4.5” backspacing.  

and a could places I see 0.00” backspacing.   I don’t know what they means.  

Isn’t Brisbane in QLD?  I was there in July of 19,   Got to do some diving and a little sight seeing.  

8/16/2020 9:26 PM  #18

17x7 with 4.5” backspacing fits well in front. 

The ZERO you mentioned is offset, not the same as backspacing.

A 7” wide rime is actually 8” wide overall. It has zero offset if it has 4” backspacing.

8/16/2020 10:29 PM  #19

I think the 4.5" backspace M, is an 8" wheel.
Yes it is, We live in Brisbane, on the South side. How did you like Winter in Qld? At the top of the state, you can get a tan in the middle of Winter.

8/17/2020 9:19 AM  #20

MS wrote:

17x7 with 4.5” backspacing fits well in front.

The ZERO you mentioned is offset, not the same as backspacing.

A 7” wide rime is actually 8” wide overall. It has zero offset if it has 4” backspacing.

so if they offer the “M” where In 17x7.  And I have the choice of 4” or 4.5” backspacing,  which should I choose?

my 01 bullit 17x8 wheels are barely clearing the UCA now with the 1” spacer.   Fwiw. 

8/17/2020 9:22 AM  #21

50vert wrote:

I think the 4.5" backspace M, is an 8" wheel.
Yes it is, We live in Brisbane, on the South side. How did you like Winter in Qld? At the top of the state, you can get a tan in the middle of Winter.

the weather there was nice.  I rented an air BNB is some little town there sort of on the southwest edge of Brisbane.  We went out to Straddy island as well as some other resort island that we took a ferry to.  I was meeting my kid there who’s US Navy ship was at Port there for a few days.  

8/17/2020 9:47 AM  #22

4.5” backspacing is just right for a 17x7 wheel

8/17/2020 10:25 AM  #23

MS wrote:

thanks!

8/17/2020 5:50 PM  #24

caveeagle wrote:

MS wrote:

thanks!

I have only been able to find those wheels with a 4.00 backspacing.   All the suppliers I see showing that wheel in 4.5 either show back order or “not available”

does anyone make either a magnum 500 or Shelby mag star type wheel that will fit the cobra brakes without a spacer?   

im looking for some ideas here.  

8/17/2020 8:18 PM  #25

I'm also committed to using the cobra brakes that are somewhere in the shed. Just can't justify spending on wheels and tyres at the moment.
A solution I've just'a bout decided on is these.
https://www.performancewheels.com.au/product/pw-100s-classic/
They also do a Magnum.
https://www.performancewheels.com.au/product/magnum/
They will do custom offsets upto 15mm. Need +12.7mm to get 4.5" backspace. But only if you correctly fillout thier form. This would tell if they fit the cobra stuff. If only the magnum fits, I'd still be happy.

Would you mind doing me a huge favour and take a few measurements? maybe MS has the measurements off the top off his head.
The company is an Ozzie wholesale only, but a distributor is an importer of other wheels, including AR ... export is basically the same. Let me know if I can help in anyway.

Last edited by 50vert (8/17/2020 8:56 PM)

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.