FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/08/2020 4:39 PM  #1

Bleed air from cooling system

Hello,
I had some trouble bleeding the air from the cooling system by running the engine only because if I leave the open radiator cap, the cooling water comes out from the top.
I would like to connect an atmospheric tank to the radiator and try to purge the air from the cooling system by running the engine until the thermostat opens. I saw a video on the web and my idea is to use the tank shown in the picture.
Has anyone used this method before? Thanks for your suggestions.
Marco

8/08/2020 6:19 PM  #2

Re: Bleed air from cooling system

I haven’t used that before, might get messy when time to remove the bottle...especially if engine is running.

I have raised the front end or park on a hill to bleed air from system.

After getting it to operating temp, shut it off and make sure overflow tank is near full with front end elevated overnight or until fully cooled.

When refilling, I try to remember to just cover the tubes and wait for thermostat to open. Then top off to desired level with cap off.

Last edited by Nos681 (8/08/2020 6:23 PM)

8/08/2020 9:15 PM  #3

Marco, I think Dan is giving you some good advice.

John  -- 67 Mustang Coupe 390 5 speed

8/08/2020 9:35 PM  #4

I do the same, I have a funnel that fits tight into the radiator. that's where I place my paint filter when filling and when it burps it just goes out into the funnel and then back down into the rad. Next day I top it off to the rim and let it go into the over flow bottle if need be. 

Slammed Big Blue, ran over the varmints that messed with the Stang. Now all is good in the NW

8/09/2020 1:10 AM  #5

Thankyou for your suggestions.
Marco

8/09/2020 5:30 PM  #6

I have never heard of anything like this being necessary on any of the 30+  Mustangs I have owned.

Just drive it.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

8/09/2020 6:58 PM  #7

I never had trouble with a Ford till I installed my 351W. My Mustang needs to be "burped" or it will overheat. It took me awhile to figure it out. Another way to do it is to squeeze the top radiator hose when it is cold. Do it forcefully enough to to see the air bubbles come out of the radiator. It will be less messy with that contraption you have hooked to the radiator BUT  it will be a lot easier with the Lisle 24680 funnel that you can purchase at an auto parts store. Keep doing it till you can't hear the air sloshing around it the radiator.

70, ragtop 351W/416 stroker Edel Performer heads w pro flow 4, Comp roller 35-421-8. T5

8/09/2020 7:24 PM  #8

70, ragtop 351W/416 stroker Edel Performer heads w pro flow 4, Comp roller 35-421-8. T5

8/09/2020 7:37 PM  #9

MS wrote:

I have never heard of anything like this being necessary on any of the 30+  Mustangs I have owned.

Just drive it.

Steve, out of curiosity.

What heater hose fitting do you use on your intake manifold?
Does it have the short extension at the bottom like stock?

8/27/2020 4:24 PM  #10

Today I tried to remove the air from the circuit using the bottle. Everything worked well, the engine went up in temperature and the thermostat started to open before the instrument indicator came to mid-reading. The water began to rise in the bottle making bubbles, I kept the engine at idle and the temperature went up, the instrument indicator was on the letter P of the letter "Temp" of the instrument, a few moments came down then went up again. I run the engine faster and the water went a lot in the bottle. It didn't go up and down as seen in the videos. I held the engine 10/15 minutes running. Then I turned off the engine and the water went down into the radiator. I removed the excess water and after about half an hour of waiting I closed the radiator and left for a test. The temperature still went up a lot and the water came out of the tube under the radiator cap. I suspected during th operation the water went back into the engine from the top where the thermostat is. The radiator tube in the lower part of the radiator was not as hot as the one above. Could it be a water pump problem? Thank you for any suggestions.
Marco

8/27/2020 5:56 PM  #11

I just fill the radiator 2/3's full.
Far-it-up and watch until I see the water ROLLING in the radiator.
Top it off with fluid and go drive the Buhhh-geeezus out of it.
Keep "drive'n-til-she-pukes".............(comments Don?!)
Having the front end higher than the back helps with puke'in.
6sally6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

8/27/2020 8:30 PM  #12

I must be doing something wrong...never have done anything but fill it to the top of the radiator, put the cap on and drive it.  Of course, I do have a recovery tank.
What's the belch/burp/puke/hurl/fart you all are referring to?  My car doesn't do any of that so I have to see to it myself.

BB1

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

8/28/2020 4:31 PM  #13

I think that the water pump not properly work. Why the lower hose of the radiator has not so hot as the upper one? The hose from the termostat housing was not possible to tuch with the hand, the lower yes. Is this normal? I think that if the radiator cools the water it is still at a temperature that the hand cannot tuch. The limit for the hand is 60 °celsius.

edit:
this evening i have removed the belts and loose the pump impeller that I have rotated by the fan. Moving with the hand the fan the pump rotate very free. I have in the garage a new water pump as spare and it is not so free in the rotation. Coud be an impeller problem.

Last edited by Marco (8/28/2020 4:43 PM)

8/28/2020 5:00 PM  #14

This is what I think I will find

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKgGi_aVTtA

8/28/2020 5:18 PM  #15

The water coming out of the top ideally should be the temperature that your thermostat is set for. The water going back into the engine at the bottom of the radiator should be considerably cooler. What you have there is normal. Everything I am reading from you says it's all normal. If the gage does not go over the vertical line next to the H you are OK. Water to come out of the little tube next to the radiator cap when warm is normal. When it has cooled down overnight it should be a little above the fins. That is normal. A new pump that has not been used is harder to turn than one that is more than a couple thousand miles old.

8/30/2020 12:47 PM  #16

Hello,
I have removed the water pump and found both passage through the timing chain cover completely closed.
At the moment I have removed all the dirty and washing the engine with clean water.

Last edited by Marco (8/30/2020 12:49 PM)

8/30/2020 12:58 PM  #17

Try putting white vinegar instead of water and run that for a few days. Might help break loose some of the crud in the system.
I did it with my parts chaser and it seems to have helped.
After a few days drain and flush a few times. Fill with DISTILLED water and coolant to stop future crud build up.
The ONLY problem is.............every time you crank up the engine it makes you wanna eat a nice salad!
6sally6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

8/30/2020 1:05 PM  #18

Thank you for the suggestion. 
Very nice the salad, I love it.
I'm happy, I can finally drive without fear.

8/30/2020 1:05 PM  #19

6sally6 wrote:

Try putting white vinegar instead of water and run that for a few days. Might help break loose some of the crud in the system.
After a few days drain and flush a few times. Fill with DISTILLED water and coolant to stop future crud build up.
The ONLY problem is.............every time you crank up the engine it makes you wanna eat a nice salad!
6sally6

How much white vinegar?

8/30/2020 1:22 PM  #20

With all that crap in the block my guess is the rad needs to be inspected as well.

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

8/30/2020 1:27 PM  #21

HudginJ3 wrote:

6sally6 wrote:

6sally6

How much white vinegar?

I poured in a gallon.
6s6

8/30/2020 2:25 PM  #22

Something to consider either instead of, or even after the vinegar treatment ... Mercedes-Benzes recommends cleaning the cooling systems of their diesel engines with "Shout" "Ultra Concentrated Gel" cleaner (typically used for clothes).  It is a non-forming detergent. 
Also, be sure the heater core is included in whatever flush system you use.

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

8/30/2020 3:22 PM  #23

Thank you for the suggestions, I will flush also the heater core (replaced last year) and the radiator (replaced two years ago).

8/30/2020 5:41 PM  #24

After cleaning the block, heater core and radiator, use an inline filter in the top hose. You'll be surprised at how much crap it catches.

"Those telephone poles were like a picket fence"

9/01/2020 8:10 PM  #25

The question was asked as to what heater hose connection I have at the intake manifold. 

It is a simple pipe fitting with no extension tube trying to reach down into the “fluid level”.

Sounds like alot of you are trying to find a solution to a problem that does not exist.

I do not use an overflow tank.  On those long bash trips where I put 3,000 miles on the car in the summer with the AC on full blast all the time, the radiator water level never changes and the temperature rarely sees 200 only when stuck in traffic.  I think I saw 210 once, which is not that bad.
Constant 180 when in motion.  Am I just lucky?   Maybe, but the fact that everything is clean and properly installed probably doesn’t hurt.

Granted I have an expensive Griffin 24” radiator with the aluminum 427, but I have underdrive pulleys and a 17” flex fan with 70 shroud. 

Older engines are harder to cool because the crusted up internal passages do not transfer the heat to the coolant very efficiently.  If not willing to bite the bullet (not THE Bullet) and vat the block and heads, alot of people get sucked into electric fans and all that stuff trying to cool an engine that will not be cooled. Meaning CAN’T be cooled.

All that and now my 10 year old flowkooler pump is dripping.  New one Is sitting there awaiting my back to improve so I can change it out.  I have gone through two Edelbrock pumps and a Flowkooler now in the last Fifteen years on my car.  All eventually started seeping at the weep hole.  I have not driven my car since May.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.