FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/30/2020 11:05 PM  #1

Steering box replacement

Hello Everyone,  I have a 66 mustang with.a 302 and mustang Steve cable clutch kit. It has a collapsible steering column that was swapped from a 69 mustang. When the swap was done on the steering column. I purchased a Borgeson steering box. I hadn’t really driven the car. Since I installed it but I have noticed it’s leaking really really bad from the sector shaft on the steering box. It kinda stinks it definitely got less than 500 miles on it. And it was purchased 5 or so years back.  So I’m debating what I should do. I spoke with Borgeson and they said I can mail it and they can fix it and send it back to me. However I’m not sure I want to waste my time with Borgeson if this is the type of thing I can expect from it.

Has anyone had any good results with a Borgeson box. Or is there a better one that I can bolt in instead.?

Thanks.

8/30/2020 11:30 PM  #2

Re: Steering box replacement

I've heard of quite a few problems with the sector shaft seal, nothing about a repeat of the problem after Borgeson repairs it.

"Those telephone poles were like a picket fence"

8/30/2020 11:41 PM  #3

I installed my Borgeson power steering mod 10 years ago, and have never had a leakage problem. (knock wood..) Perhaps they had a quality control issue with their seals at the time you bought the mod. I would send it back and let them repair it. Cheaper than buying another company's mod.

68 coupe - 351W, 4R70W, 9" 3.25 -- 65 convertible - 289 4v, C4, 8" 3.00

8/31/2020 5:28 AM  #4

Its been at least 5 years for mine and not a single issue.  I think the issue with yours is that it sat.  Seals don't like that.

8/31/2020 6:10 AM  #5

I installed mine in '15 and it was leaking pretty bad when we got home from the FWB bash in '17.  Borgeson sent the new seals but I chickened out about disassembling the box without proper tools or experience...sent it back to them.  They charged me $75 but so far it's doing just fine but I think the problem may have been the fluid.  When I installed it Borg said that ATF would be fine.  Later they said to use "power steering fluid" which I've been using since the rebuild by Borgeson. 
In spite of this problem, I think it's a good product and, as far as I know, is the only integral PS box available for the early Mustang.  Mine drives fine and though the "return to center" could be better, I'm very happy with it. Also, they have stopped using modified Trooper boxes and are now making their own forgings for the Mustang.  Maybe that will produce a more reliable result.
About the only other option for improved power steering is to go to an R&P and that involves a whole pile of other issues.

BB1

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

8/31/2020 6:55 AM  #6

I installed my Borgeson box 4 years ago.  No issues so far. Much better than the original manual box.  I did use "power steering fluid" as they recommended.

Bash Host MSBB XVI.       BobC    1966 Mustang Coupe

9/01/2020 4:54 AM  #7

Bullet Bob wrote:

I installed mine in '15 and it was leaking pretty bad when we got home from the FWB bash in '17.  Borgeson sent the new seals but I chickened out about disassembling the box without proper tools or experience...sent it back to them.  They charged me $75 but so far it's doing just fine but I think the problem may have been the fluid.  When I installed it Borg said that ATF would be fine.  Later they said to use "power steering fluid" which I've been using since the rebuild by Borgeson. 
In spite of this problem, I think it's a good product and, as far as I know, is the only integral PS box available for the early Mustang.  Mine drives fine and though the "return to center" could be better, I'm very happy with it. Also, they have stopped using modified Trooper boxes and are now making their own forgings for the Mustang.  Maybe that will produce a more reliable result.
About the only other option for improved power steering is to go to an R&P and that involves a whole pile of other issues.

BB1

BB how much caster are you running?

9/01/2020 6:15 AM  #8

Right now I have 3.75 positive.  At some point down the road I'll do a bunch of changing/re-designing/replacing and get it up to 5 degrees...maybe.  On the last alignment...with my "solid shims"...I set camber at zero and and that makes any more caster than what I have now impossible with the stock length UCA bolts. 
It drives great but I still have to help it come back to center for the last 1/4 turn of the steering whee.
I had a guy align it (don't ax why) just before the FWB trip and he set it at .5 degree neg camber and got 5 degrees of caster.  Butt, that was with stock shims and the pinch angle on the shims was just too much and, as many of you know, they fell out.  But before it fell apart it drove beautifully with full and positive return to center.

BB1

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

9/01/2020 4:39 PM  #9

Awesome thanks for the info. I spoke with Borgeson today and got their address and opened a return ticket for repair.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.