FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/31/2020 9:16 PM  #1

Newer cars still have problems

Sometimes I just wanna scream.šŸ˜œ
One of my dadā€™s expressions when I was a kid.

The ā€œKiaā€ battery light came on on way home from store this evening.

At least flickering lights on gauge panel didnā€™t start until 1/2 way down our driveway.
Pulled in and shut it down ASAP.

Connected battery charger...5.5-6volts.???
Charger started to ramp up slowly and charged for short period of time, less than 5 minutes, then kicked off.
Tried a second time, same thing.

I figured Iā€™ll try it with battery disconnected, both leads.
Battery voltage read 11 volts at start up.

Positive to ground is 4-5 ohms to ground.
Didnā€™t find any blown fuses...yet.
Guessing that alternator shorted to ground...just not a direct short.
Iā€™ll investigate further in morning, itā€™s too late to mess with it tonight.

Not totally mad, just frustrated.

Bright side...I didnā€™t have to call the tow truck again!šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£

Thanks for listening, just venting a bit.

Last edited by Nos681 (8/31/2020 9:18 PM)

8/31/2020 11:04 PM  #2

Re: Newer cars still have problems

Did you get that AAA Gold roadside towing yet?

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

9/01/2020 5:04 AM  #3

KIA = Killed It Again

The last car I let my wife pick out for herself was a KIA.Ā  A decent design, but the execution was utterly terrible.Ā  Had it for two years, got one year trouble free from it.Ā  Timing belt jumped 10k before the change interval.Ā  Wouldn't warranty it because it was a "service item".Ā  Fixed it myself, royal PITA.Ā  Rear wheel cylinder exploded, as in the casting failed, managed to get it home, thank God it was a stick.Ā  Differential lost a bearing (less than 50k on the vehicle), got that fixed under warranty.Ā  ThenĀ  t-stat stuck closed and killed the radiator.Ā  I fought with a dishonest service manager to get it fixed, finally called in a family friend who was high up at the dealership and got it fixed under warranty for free.Ā  That was the last straw.Ā  While it was being fixed I scouted a new vehicle and when it was fixed drove it from the KIA dealership to the Subaru dealership and bought our WRX.Ā  Over 200kĀ  miles later and the WRX is still in our garage.Ā  The KIA I assume is part of an artificial reef or some skyscraper in China.Ā 

9/01/2020 7:51 AM  #4

KIA = Killed In Action
I never could understand why anyone would buy one.

Gary Zilik - Pine Junction, Colorado - 67 Coupe, 289-4V, T5

9/01/2020 8:13 AM  #5

Kia is also the code word for any non Mustang driven to a MSBB. Since Lt Dan has Kia in quotation marks me thinks it's being used as slang. Go easy on the boy
Just saying...

9/01/2020 8:41 AM  #6

My sons wife bought a KIA because at the time it was all they could afford. They drove Ā it trouble free for over 6 years, which is just short of a miracle Ā because car maintenance isnā€™t in their wheelhouse. It had a dent on nearly every body panel. Never washed it. The starter died so it got parked for over a year. I put a starter in it and before I could tell her we needed to drain the tank and put fresh gas in it she turned the key and it fired up. The total lack of preventive maintenance finally did it in six months later.

"anyone that stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty"Henry Ford

9/01/2020 8:47 AM  #7

The FIX for that problem:

Remove battery
Close hood
Push car in Lake Michigan
Get $10 core charge for old battery at OReilly
DONE

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

9/01/2020 10:29 AM  #8

Ouch, a lot of hate for KIA.Ā  Just to balance the scales, my brother bought a new KIA Soul as his daily driver in 2011 and it is still problem free.Ā  His mileage is over 140,000 by now.Ā  That same year I bought a new Hyundai Accent GS as a daily driver.Ā  It is also trouble free and I have about the same mileage on mine.Ā  Now we both see these cars just as transportation and plan to drive the wheels off of them.Ā  The fuel economy is really good, the power is excellent for the street and highway, and the maintenance costs have been low.Ā  Everything I had hoped for when I made the purchase.

...only trying to report my personal experience - no other agenda.Ā 

1968 T-code Coupe with a 302.  Nice car, no show stopper for sure, but I like it.

9/01/2020 10:39 AM  #9

Yeah, I know they are actually great cars.  Just the traditional good-natured foreign car bashing...

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

9/01/2020 11:06 AM  #10

I try not to support foreign economies, especially big ticket items.
Ā  It's been decades I have not bought Ford,Ā  I did haveĀ  a Jimmy about 25 years ago, POS.

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

9/01/2020 3:12 PM  #11

I try to stay with Ford and Mopar just because that seems to be what I find easy to work on and parts are reasonable (Not old Mopar Parts, the parts for the 70 T/A are crazy). I have had great luck with the Jeep/Chrysler 4.0, My Dakota does have the 4.7 which is just a so so motor.
But, my mother has a Hyundai Sonata that she has totaled three times and bought it back each time and we have fixed it enough to put back on the road, it has 240K miles on it, every light on the dash, looks like a Christmas tree stays on. But it still runs really well and doesn't burn or leak anything, the car has a million rattles but keeps on going.

9/01/2020 8:20 PM  #12

Thanks guys!

Alternator is replaced.....as well as...power steering ā€œoā€ ring replaced (seeping) and fluid topped off, idler pulley replaced ( bearing on its way out) and of course the serpentine belt (donā€™t wanna do that this winter...again).

Gary....itā€™s a CRV-Kia šŸ˜‚

I will have to say, other than limited space to get tools in, some pretty neat engineering.

I had to dismount the a/c compressor to access a couple of bolts with lines still attached.
During reassembly, I had to admire the design of how the compressor is mounted.
Between the compressor and engine bracket, it fits like a tab ā€œaā€ into slot ā€œbā€ design.
And the weight of compressor holds it on bracket and could easily start all four mounting bolts.
Of course all of this is through, under, around the grille cover. Very compact to say the least.

Now...where did that 10 mm socket go? šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚

9/02/2020 4:55 AM  #13

MS wrote:

The FIX for that problem:

Remove battery
Close hood
Push car in Lake Michigan
Get $10 core charge for old battery at OReilly
DONE

Also, if you have comprehensive insurance they will cover the cost of your own stupidity, so take insurance check and buy a better car.
Ā 

9/02/2020 4:58 AM  #14

Rudi wrote:

I try not to support foreign economies, especially big ticket items.
Ā  It's been decades I have not bought Ford,Ā  I did haveĀ  a Jimmy about 25 years ago, POS.

I don't know about KIA, but there are a lot of "foreign" cars anymore that are made in the US.Ā  I know Subaru and Toyota both have extensive US operations, though sadly the models built in Japan typically have a better track record for reliability.Ā  I've more respect for those companies than the German ones building all their cars in Mexico, cough, cough, Volkswagen (or in that Gentecaro?).Ā 

9/02/2020 10:03 AM  #15

Ms. 6Sal6 got a new Hyundai (close as I could get to Honda!) for her birthday.
8 speed tranny still amazes me........uh-uh-uh-uh-uh-uh-uhhhh-uh. Anyhow.. I bought the "extended warrantee" (my first) so maybe it will last forever. Bought it the LAST day of the month so supposedly got a super deal.
I can change oil and MAYBE the plugs and maaaaaybe the belt once it goes over 100,000 miles. The rest is all computers!
Had a guy at the dealership that gives tutorials on how to operate all the bells & whistles.. (I asked if they could get one with roll-up windows...sales  dude just looked at me like I had two heads!)
Tooooo techie!!!!
6sal6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

9/02/2020 10:54 AM  #16

must be the time of year to get the wife's new cars, lol. I just got a 2020 ford edge for the wife

65 coupe, 351w, c4, power disk brakes, power r&p, vintage air.

9/02/2020 11:41 AM  #17

kardad wrote:

I try to stay with Ford and Mopar just because that seems to be what I find easy to work on and parts are reasonable (Not old Mopar Parts, the parts for the 70 T/A are crazy). I have had great luck with the Jeep/Chrysler 4.0, My Dakota does have the 4.7 which is just a so so motor.
But, my mother has a Hyundai Sonata that she has totaled three times and bought it back each time and we have fixed it enough to put back on the road, it has 240K miles on it, every light on the dash, looks like a Christmas tree stays on. But it still runs really well and doesn't burn or leak anything, the car has a million rattles but keeps on going.

I had an 87 Jeep Cherokee with a 4.0 - put 328K on that engine - couldn't kill it. Was still running strong with very low oil consumption when I sold it. Same with my 97 Grand Cherokee with the 4.0 (until it got totaled) My 04 Grand Cherokee with the 4.7L HO sucked a valve at 174K. I rebuilt it and it has about 28K on it now with no problems so far. My daily driver is a 2017 Explorer Sport. Love that vehicle. The last foreign car I owned was an 84 Datsun pickup. It actually ran pretty well. I just had to make sure I kept it full of rice.....my daughter traded in her 08 Ford Focus on a new Sub-aroo, after owning a 98 Ford Contour, a 94 Ford Bronco, a 2000 Explorer and the Focus.Ā  He husband has a Toyota Tundra so I guess she's jumped ship from the Ford family.
As far as the KIA goes, maybe it's just low on rice also......(okay - no more foreign car bashing for now...)
Ā 

68 coupe - 351W, 4R70W, 9" 3.25 -- 65 convertible - 289 4v, C4, 8" 3.00

9/02/2020 12:00 PM  #18

Newest car in our stable is my 2002 Ford F-250 7.3LĀ 
Next is C's 2001 Isuzu Vehicross. The 2nd Isuzu she has owned. First one was a 1989 Amigo we sold with 496,000 miles on it. Was a very reliable vehicle, so is the Vehicross although it is a pain to work on.
Last but not least is my 1967 Ford Mustang Coupe.Ā 
Average age of our cars is 30 years.
Ā 

Gary Zilik - Pine Junction, Colorado - 67 Coupe, 289-4V, T5

9/03/2020 5:29 AM  #19

So a good friend of mine bought a new Toyota Corolla, I think it was an '06, that was as bare bones as they came.Ā  Roll up windows, no power locks, manual trans, etc.Ā  He had it for 280k miles.Ā  In that time one of the window mechanisms failed and was fixed under warranty.Ā  We put a clutch in it at 200k.Ā  We put a radiator in it at some point.Ā  I think he did brakes 3 times and put 2 sets of tires on it (he drives a lot of highway miles).Ā  It would get close to 40mpg around town and 50+ on the highway.Ā  It goes to show that all this hybrid stuff is a bunch of crap.Ā  It got the same mileage or better, but did it without a battery pack that creates a ton of pollution through mining and presents a huge cost when its time to replace it.Ā  You probably can't even buy a car like that now.Ā 

Our newest addition is an '07 FJ Cruiser.Ā  6speed manual, purchased it with less than 100k on it.Ā  No one believes its an '07 because of how clean it is.Ā  That's the wife's DD.Ā  Plenty of room for the kids and stuff if we need to travel.Ā  Typical Toyota reliability.Ā  I expect years of boring stories about how I changed the oil regularly.

9/03/2020 11:00 AM  #20

Ditto TKO on the Corolla. My son bought a ~2015 Corolla, not Adam, and got the same mileage as your friend. Which was the same as my neighbor's Prius.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.