FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/23/2020 5:57 PM  #1

hydraulic clutch

Any body running a modern driveline hydraulic clutch set up?

I'm having some challenges.  I'm supposed to have 1.2" travel at the slave cylinder and only have about 3/4".

The slave cylinder rod seems to move as soon as it is beginning to be depressed.

I'm guessing i still must have air in the lines.  

Tried bleeding with a mity vac attached to the bleeder screw but that got me no where. Modern driveline suggest using compressed air (10-15 psi)thru the vent hole of the reservoir cap while opening up the bleeder screw..  That seems to get some air out and now my pedal has some feel to it but got to figure out why i don;t have the 1.2" of travel the system is designed to have.

any tips for bleeding system ?

9/23/2020 6:23 PM  #2

Re: hydraulic clutch

Cable!!!

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

9/23/2020 6:41 PM  #3

What is the bore and the stroke of the MC and what is the bore of the SC?

If it isn't broken...modify it anyway! http://www.DazeCars.com https://galaxieforum.boardhost.com

9/23/2020 8:04 PM  #4

Ain't gonna fit no cable in my car..... barely enough room for the plug wires.

I have the internal slave kit in my car from Modern Driveline, have been on the phone and traded emails with them on multiple occasions. Their customer service has always been fantastic. I was told by MD that using that mighty Vac from the bottom was a bad idea cause it could cause damage somehow. And it has give me HELL trying to bleed it. I bolted in the headers faster than I could bleed the clutch!! I bought MD's bleed kit which is a huge syringe and a rubber stopper to force the fluid down through the reservoir, master cylinder, and line as fast as I could to move a lot of fluid quickly. Some of those bubble were tiny tiny. Use a clear hose coming off the end of the slave to see what comes out. If you have an internal slave, I presume you have the inlet from the master on the bottom and the outlet on top. You took the measurements to set the 1/8" distance from the clutch finger to the face of the TO bearing? 

I would suggest going back and playing with the linkage some more. I had run almost a quart of brake fluid through mine and it was still not disengaging the clutch enough to get it in gear. The first thing I noticed laying under the dash this time was the linkage moving to the side as the clutch pedal was pushed. I was loosing travel there. That helped, but not enough. Next I made an adjustment to the linkage between the pedal and master. one of them got shorter and the other got longer. Low and behold, that helped to get the car into gear. Another adjustment and I got the pedal to a pick up point I like off the floor. 

It's not in the instructions, but I did used some blue Loctite on the adjusting collar of the TO bearing this last time. With the first motor, I had a severe shake above 75 that caused the TO bearing to self adjust way out of wack in a few miles. 

I'm still not 100% sold on this thing. The pedal is soft when I crank the car up cold. Drive it a bit to get some heat in the car and the pedal gets stiffer. I don't understand it. I keep thinking I may go back to a mechanical linkage someday, Good luck. 

Last edited by Bolted to Floor (9/23/2020 8:05 PM)

John  -- 67 Mustang Coupe 390 5 speed

9/24/2020 5:20 AM  #5

I have a cable clutch in my 67 coupe and it works pretty good.  I just wanted to install hydraulic as more of an 
upgrade for the fastback something with less pedal effort etc. etc.  

I went back and checked the throw on the master and it was bottoming out on the bracket. Something that was noted to adjust and check for in the instructions. i guess its been so long since I installed the master maybe I intended to adjust once transmission and slave were in the car.

I will say Bruce at MDL is great he was on the phone with me after hours to help diagnose.

9/24/2020 7:53 AM  #6

Oh good grief! You’re gonna get me started on my huge mistake to try MDL hyd clutch on my 67, and how many times I would take out and reinstall my T5 trying to adjust everything until I threw up my hands. I thought MDL hyd clutch would be the “cat’s meow” but I was very wrong.

The ONLY benefit from my foray into hyd clutches is that there are 2 normal-looking undergrad Baylor students walking around that know how to help Dad (On multiple occasions) drop a T5 slightly backwards while keeping lines routed clear and the pilot bearing centered. No wonder they went back to campus earlier than usual.

When you get exasperated late at night, feeling the actuation isn’t right and there’s a little pool of fluid where the other pools on hyd fluid weren’t in the past, you can drop by my house and take my installed-but-never-used ziplock bag of $675 worth of MDL 67-68 clutch parts and have another go at it. I am sure that hyd clutch must work for the 1% that persist and never give up.

Happy to advise you to stay with cable clutch.

Last edited by Prof (9/24/2020 7:55 AM)

9/24/2020 7:53 AM  #7

I have the MDL hydraulic clutch in my 66 I installed a couple of months ago. It came with a kit to bleed the master and slave cylinder that worked very well. I did have to take the trans back out after installation to shim the clutch fork ball stud so I could get more travel even though the measurement was within spec before I installed it.  MDL customer service was able to answer all my questions.

Bash Host MSBB XVI.       BobC    1966 Mustang Coupe

9/24/2020 2:36 PM  #8

All I will say is I had the Hyd in my 66 when I built it (393, T-5) and the only way I could get it bleed was to hang the entire set-up from a ladder and then install it. Month later the slave cylinder started leaking, was sent a new one. Worked fine after that.

When I built the 68 (331, T-5) I went with the cable and haven't looked back.

This is my though between the two, throw a spare (over the counter Ford cable) in the trunk and I will never be stranded. When that Hyd master cylinder or slave cylinder fail, your stuck for days waiting on a part, if that aftermarket company is still in business. Just Sayin

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.