FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/22/2020 9:19 PM  #1

I modified my new Atlas Pro 8K lift

As most of you know I received my new 4 post lift last month and love it. But the ramps are just to darn heavy to lift on and off, so I just left them hang on the end. Well I knew that at some point I or someone else would run into them and that would be a big hurt. Especily at head/eye level, like when I park at the top to use the space under the lift.  So today I decided to make them swing down while still being attached. This is what I came up with. And I can still prop them straight out if I want to drive under with another car. Under the ramps in the center there is a small flat bar that holds them out enough so when they come in contact with the floor they roll out. If you rotate that flat bar 180 deg it will lock in so they are held straight out. NO MORE danger. If you look close at the last pic you can see my homade wheels. And yes I need to clean up where I melted the powdercoating, no big deal.

Last edited by Cab4word67 (9/22/2020 9:41 PM)

Slammed Big Blue, ran over the varmints that messed with the Stang. Now all is good in the NW

9/23/2020 9:57 AM  #2

Re: I modified my new Atlas Pro 8K lift

Seems there are always a way to improve on things.
Nice job.

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

9/23/2020 1:00 PM  #3

Is there room, or any advantage, to just keeping them horizontal?   I would think that might be less
of a danger to one's head.

9/23/2020 2:18 PM  #4

gjz30075 wrote:

Is there room, or any advantage, to just keeping them horizontal?   I would think that might be less

Like he said in the o/p, they give hematomas when horizontal.

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

9/23/2020 4:48 PM  #5

gjz30075 wrote:

giz30075, if you have one of these lifts you will find that the ramp don't hang perfectly horizontal and even if they did, when at diferent heights they can become a real obstruction. that's why they recommend removing them while in the air. 

Slammed Big Blue, ran over the varmints that messed with the Stang. Now all is good in the NW

9/23/2020 6:18 PM  #6

Ok, makes sense.  I figured if they are on the same plane as the 'track' the car sits on,  shouldn't be a
deal.   I'm only 5'7".....-)

9/23/2020 6:21 PM  #7

Warranty voided!   😁

Good job, I have thought of doing something similar but am still taking the ramps on and off all the time.

Last edited by Chaplin (9/23/2020 6:22 PM)

9/23/2020 6:22 PM  #8

I have a pair of plastic rhino ramps I plan to modify for my lift once I get it to the new shop.  They weigh next to nothing and are certainly strong enough for the job.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

9/23/2020 6:23 PM  #9

That's an excellent idea.

9/23/2020 7:07 PM  #10

Lift? What's a lift? I wouldn't know how to work on my car with it up in the air. I enjoy relaxing on my back with my car inches from my face..... (and I see a nasty word on the wall - starts with a "C".) Just jealous I don't have a lift,  I guess.

68 coupe - 351W, 4R70W, 9" 3.25 -- 65 convertible - 289 4v, C4, 8" 3.00

9/23/2020 10:41 PM  #11

LOL this is for Ron68. I know this is for us FORD guys but I couldn't resist. 

Last edited by Cab4word67 (9/23/2020 10:42 PM)

9/24/2020 3:50 PM  #12

Also could cut styrofoam block to fit over the pointed end of the ramps when up. I used to hang blue rags on the corners to provide more visual impact and a tiny bit of padding.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.