FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/05/2020 2:57 PM  #1

rear fender extensions fitment

to start I believe my 66 mustang has original truck lid and both Quarter panels. I adjusted Truck lid for even spacing between Quarter Panels. Problem is Drivers side Rear Extension is aligned but Passenger side Rear Extension is 3/8 inches past Truck Lid. Just Wandering if Ford Fitment was questionable from factory. (I started on rebuilding car 10 years ago and do not remember how Rear Extension fit with Truck Lid.) I went to NSRA car show at Knoxville Tn this weekend and out of 3  65-66 mustangs had ill fitment on panels. Any suggestions on how to compensate for aligning panels.

10/08/2020 4:21 PM  #2

Re: rear fender extensions fitment

My fastback had terrible end cap alignment. I made the decision to leave it as-factory and just align as best as possible. Thickness of the side seals can help reposition a little.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

10/09/2020 2:33 PM  #3

I use the neoprene washers from roofing screws, stacked on the mounting bolts of the end cap, to adjust the gap between fender and cap. And it makes them waterproof again.

"Those telephone poles were like a picket fence"

10/10/2020 7:38 AM  #4

I think I will just do what MS stated and adjust trunk lid and end caps as close as possible and go with it. Some  65-66 Mustangs I see that have been rebuilt have poor panel alignment. I am working on my garage rebuild to at least be presentable. Or should I say acceptable for me.

always thanks for the feed back, it does help.

10/10/2020 7:39 AM  #5

I think I will just do what MS stated and adjust trunk lid and end caps as close as possible and go with it. Some  65-66 Mustangs I see that have been rebuilt have poor panel alignment. I am working on my garage rebuild to at least be presentable. Or should I say acceptable for me.

always thanks for the feed back, it does help.

10/16/2020 9:38 AM  #6

Hmm whats the gap look like against the trunk filler panel?

1/06/2021 6:30 PM  #7

Make sure you have correct quarter extentions. 1965 end caps are different than 66. 1966 end caps are a little beefier. They also made all the difference when replacing a quarter panel. The car was a 1965 coupe stock left quarter passenger was a replacement. We tried using his stock 65 caps. Didnt fit for -oh no I used a word I shouldn't have-. Popped on a 1966 cap fit great even on the replacement quarter side. Which is also very surprising because replacement quarters usually dont have enough crown. Another suggestion. First make sure you have the correct bumpers for proper fitment. How is your gap against the filler panel? Also take the extentions off fit trunk to quarters as well as filler panel. Then install quarter extentions. Make sure your mating flange is also straight may need some help. Also you could elongate the holes in the quarter. And maybe shave the end cap down.

1/06/2021 6:36 PM  #8

Also could be fitting bad because the PO didn't properly fit the quarter before being installed? If you weld and your not past body stage what about drilling some spot welds slicing the quarter and re adjusting the rear. Sometimes that is needed to make some quarters fit. The way to tell if you have a stock quarter is the brazing spots that the factory made. Same thing with the doors they are brazed in a few spots. So if you dont see brazing then you dont have an original quarter.

5/10/2021 9:19 AM  #9

What about tapping out the trunk panel, altering its shape by 1/4" of an inch won't be super noticeable I would think (I'm not a body guy,, but that looks like a solution from my arm chair)

65 Vert (UCA mod,4bbl, hipo ex, 17x8), 2013 C-Max (hitch & cargo net), 2018 Cherokee (In bumper hitch)

9/15/2021 6:09 PM  #10

Until recently the only way I had read to correct the fit was done by two different professional builders that said to build a mountain ridge of JB Weld at the front where it connects to the quarter panel, shape it and fill in behind it with bondo. The bondo was of course is subject to cracking because the extensions tend to twist when tightened.
Then I came upon a build on VMF by Klutch titled; 1970 Mach 1 H-Code Build. He said his quarter extension had 1/2" of bondo on it, and he was going to see if he could tweak the pot metal, and maybe get away with just a little bondo. He didn’t elaborate exactly how he did it, so I asked, and here is his response:
Yeah, as is typical, my quarter extensions didn't line up with my quarter panels very well. What I did was to gently clamp each extension into a vice with wooden blocks. Then I very carefully bent the metal in the direction I wanted it to go. I just did it instinctively. There was a big pucker factor because I was the afraid the pot metal would crack or even break. Surprisingly, that didn't happen. It took many attempts at bending and test fitting each quarter extension until, finally, I got it to where it lined up quite nicely. It was one of those situations where persistence paid off.
If you want to try this, I can't guarantee your quarter extensions won't crack or break, but it sure worked well for me. Good luck and have fun!

9/17/2021 9:32 AM  #11

Mine fit like crap as well, they came like that from Ford.
I just left them as is and after many years of MCA judging they never had an issue with it either.
If I was twenty years younger and starting a build I’m sure “Muggyweld” would be included as well and many of the above suggestions.

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

12/06/2021 3:56 PM  #12

I know this is old post but I was wondering are the quarter end caps 1965 or 1966? Or replacement? I noticed that on a 1965 mustang that I was working on in a Restoration Shop replacing trunk sides quarters and outer wheel house. I'd noticed that the caps fit horrible to the new quarters. My Boss after being in the business for a while had purchased quite a stock pile of parts. I looked in our extra 1965-66 body parts. I found a matching set of 1966 coupe quarter extensions and another set of 65 coupe extensions. The extra 65 pair fit equally as poor. The 1966 caps however fit much nicer almost perfectly I was amazed that the others were so far off compared to the others. I mean the 66 caps halving the gasket and flatter mounting surface maybe the way to go.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.