FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/10/2020 11:06 AM  #1

Just rec’d Narrowed 01 Bullitt wheels back!

Happy to get a pair of my 01 Bullit ford wheels back from Weldcraft Wheels,

cost was $175 per wheel.    Roughly 3wk turn around w shipping.  

welds look good.  I have a pair of 225-45 tires going on  early next week.   I will be happy to ditch the spacers !

i will try to post pics as soon as I figure out how to do that.  

10/10/2020 11:41 AM  #2

Re: Just rec’d Narrowed 01 Bullitt wheels back!

Last edited by caveeagle (10/10/2020 11:53 AM)

10/10/2020 11:53 AM  #3

Skool me real quick...........What's the rub (no pun intended about running spacers?!
Always wondered.
6sally6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

10/10/2020 11:58 AM  #4

I have wanted to get rid of the spacer on my front for a few reasons. 

7” wide is plenty wide for a 67

minor wheel rub, running 17x8 and 245/45 tires.  To the cut wheels will be 17x7 and 225/45 tires. 

In my early days, I didn’t know any better and bought spacers that were not hub-centric.  So I have never felt great about these. 

I am also chasing down some suspension/ vibrations and want to eliminate the spacers from the whole setup.  

10/11/2020 8:56 AM  #5

My 66 handles terrible with the spacers. I also had Weldcraft narrow my wheels. Handling greatly improved.

"anyone that stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty"Henry Ford

10/11/2020 9:28 AM  #6

They look good.  What did  back spacing did you go with?  Are you going to use the same size front and rear?

10/11/2020 2:07 PM  #7

I had my 04 Bullitt front wheels narrowed to 7" by Wheels America in Dallas. I am running 245/45R17 tires on the rear and 235/45R17 tires in front on my 68. No rubbing issues and no spacers installed.

68 coupe - 351W, 4R70W, 9" 3.25 -- 65 convertible - 289 4v, C4, 8" 3.00

10/11/2020 2:08 PM  #8

Just like mine.  As for backspacing, the wheels originally were 17x8 with 5.72" BS.  Now, with 1" removed, they have 4.72" BS.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

10/11/2020 8:29 PM  #9

Chaplin wrote:

They look good. What did back spacing did you go with? Are you going to use the same size front and rear?

I don’t remember what the back spacing landed at, but they are just the stock 01 Bullets and the inside rim was brought in by 1” and should bring the inner edge right back to where it was with the spacer. 

I decided to go with the 17x7 only on the Fronts.  Using 225/45 tires. 

staying with 17x8 on the rear with 245/45 tires. 

10/11/2020 8:32 PM  #10

What do you guys think about the stripped finish where they did the welding. 

Should I Spray some primer on there?  Or just roll like this?

10/12/2020 1:44 PM  #11

Im running 1" spacers on mine.  I've never had any issues with the spacers.  I haven't priced out rims in awhile but at $175 a rim wouldn't you be close to buying a new set of knock offs?  

10/12/2020 1:56 PM  #12

Steve69 wrote:

Im running 1" spacers on mine.  I've never had any issues with the spacers.  I haven't priced out rims in awhile but at $175 a rim wouldn't you be close to buying a new set of knock offs?  

I spent a fair amount of time looking for a 17x7 wheel with the right backspacing and was guaranteed to fit the Cobra 13” brakes.   

I heard the Torque thrust M would work. But could not find any in stock, in the right size.  

this was the cheapest way to a guaranteed fit that I could find.  (Given that I already had the Wheels and was happy keeping the 17x8.  And 245/45 on the backs)

10/12/2020 3:56 PM  #13

caveeagle wrote:

I would seal it, inside at a minimum at bead.

Here in da U.P. aluminum and salt messes up the bead for sealing tires.

Not to mention galvanic action (corrosion) of dissimilar metals between bare aluminum rim and steel belts in tires.
If you happen to drive through salt water, mud, or even rain with all of its impurities, it just starts to corrode.

That’s why show cars are always getting the wheels polished to remove to corrosion...oxidation,tarnish, rust.

Nice work on wheels.

10/12/2020 7:28 PM  #14

thanks!  Any tips on what kind of paint I should use?   Maybe just a decent primer?

Nos681 wrote:

caveeagle wrote:

I would seal it, inside at a minimum at bead.

Here in da U.P. aluminum and salt messes up the bead for sealing tires.

Not to mention galvanic action (corrosion) of dissimilar metals between bare aluminum rim and steel belts in tires.
If you happen to drive through salt water, mud, or even rain with all of its impurities, it just starts to corrode.

That’s why show cars are always getting the wheels polished to remove to corrosion...oxidation,tarnish, rust.

Nice work on wheels.

10/12/2020 8:38 PM  #15

A  tire service center should have a special coating for porous alloy rims. I had a Jimmy that  needed a rim seal.
You could use Glyptal, that stuff is great, I used it on the inside of  my 331 block

Last edited by Rudi (10/12/2020 8:41 PM)

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

10/13/2020 10:04 AM  #16

caveeagle wrote:

Steve69 wrote:

I spent a fair amount of time looking for a 17x7 wheel with the right backspacing and was guaranteed to fit the Cobra 13” brakes.   

I heard the Torque thrust M would work. But could not find any in stock, in the right size.  

this was the cheapest way to a guaranteed fit that I could find.  (Given that I already had the Wheels and was happy keeping the 17x8.  And 245/45 on the backs)

Have you tried them on your Cobra Brakes after being narrowed.?   Im working on 2014 Mustang brakes right now with 13.2 rotors.  The Bullets I have wont fit unless I'm using the 1" spacers.  They hit on the Calipers.

10/13/2020 11:35 AM  #17

Rudi wrote:

A  tire service center should have a special coating for porous alloy rims. I had a Jimmy that  needed a rim seal.
You could use Glyptal, that stuff is great, I used it on the inside of  my 331 block

I like that idea for the wheels.

10/13/2020 12:58 PM  #18

caveeagle wrote:

I never did anything with mine. They’ve been on there for about ten years and show no signs of deteriorating. 

10/19/2020 8:57 AM  #19

Darn,  just figured out the oem ford center caps don’t fit without the spacers.  The bearing cap,  and even just the wheel bearing retainer and cotter hit too.   

@MS

What are you guys doing for center caps?   Going commando?

If nothing else clears,  I will either just get some Shiny new bearing caps.  Or maybe even 3D print a center cap with a taller dome.  

10/19/2020 9:03 AM  #20

It will sit a couple inches lower when I get it on the ground and the suspension can unbind.  But, I still need to so something to address the front ride height.  Short term I might cut a coil, but I will eventually do some major upgrade to the uca/LCA/Strut rods etc.  

10/19/2020 10:18 AM  #21

caveeagle wrote:

Darn,  just figured out the oem ford center caps don’t fit without the spacers.  The bearing cap,  and even just the wheel bearing retainer and cotter hit too.   

@MS

If nothing else clears,  I will either just get some Shiny new bearing caps.  Or maybe even 3D print a center cap with a taller dome.  

I designed some rings that press into the wheels so you can use the 2006 or newer wheel caps, which look more like original styled steel wheel center caps. They are hollow on the back so they clear the bearing covers.

Contact Michael ( info@MustangSteve.com ) to procure a set of the adapters.

10/19/2020 10:22 AM  #22

upload images

Shows the later model center caps on the 2001-2004 Bullitt wheels.

10/19/2020 10:47 AM  #23

Haha,,  I just noticed those on your main page.   I guess it’s been a while since I have taken a close look at your offerings.   ;)

10/20/2020 5:03 AM  #24

I do like the look of those 05+ caps.   Those darn things are $100 a set on AM. 

since I was sort of going for the “bunny” look anyway,  I am taking a shot at some printed caps.  the first test print fits good.  I need to add the retaining tabs and see if it will stay in place.  

**pics wont load. :/

Last edited by caveeagle (10/20/2020 5:04 AM)

10/20/2020 9:22 AM  #25

caveeagle wrote:

@MS

I made a spacer ring from some 1/4” Plexiglass and attached it with some double backed tape I got from my friendly Porsche, Audi parts guy. It’s been on there ten years.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.