FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/22/2020 8:21 AM  #26

Re: AM/FM Radio Reception Fix With Hidden Antenna

For better AM reception the antenna needs to be tune to the radio. Old factory radios had a tuning screw for adjustment. Another problem is the closer the antenna is to any grounding (body) it will weaken the radio ability to receive a signal. If you just touch or almost touch a mast antenna, you will lose most of the weaker signals. A few yrs back automakers used a windshield antenna with poor results. It was kind of a directional antenna by mistake. A mast antenna is not.

9/22/2020 6:22 PM  #27

Nos681 wrote:

Use the A.M. to help pinpoint where noise might be coming from.

There’s very few A.M. stations I ever listen to...if ever.
I tend to listen to my CD’s.
Radio stations have too many commercials and stuff I really don’t care about.

Unless of course it’s Click and Clack, the tappet brothers.😁

Even on factory EFI, the wires between distributor and ECM have an aluminum shield and the shield is grounded.

Do you have condensers at alternator and/or regulator?
Do you have a volt meter that can read milliamps AC?
If so, see how much AC voltage is going to your radio.
The greater amount of AC voltage the radio sees, the more noise.
The condenser/capacitor is there to help filter the AC noise on the DC system.

That’s part of reason stereo amplifiers have large capacitors on cars.
Large systems may have an external capacitor for the amplifier to minimize draw from Battery and alternator during deep bass and loud volumes.

An alternator actually makes AC voltage and is then rectified to DC with diodes and regulator maintains at a certain voltage.

Hope this helps in troubleshooting.

Thanks NOS! I don't think I get much static from the engine and like you, I tend to just listen to FM.

1964-1/2 D Code Coupe - 289 V8, 4 Speed Toploader, 3.00 ratio rear, Autolite 4100 Carb, 15" tires, Pertronix ignition

9/22/2020 6:28 PM  #28

BobE wrote:

The "Bingfu" antenna I purchased from Amazon works better the the Dakota Digital antenna I had installed.  I mounted both above the passenger side windshield visor, running the antenna wire down the A pillar and under the dash.  While there is more than enough antenna cable for this installation, I doubt that there is enough cable to run to the rear deck.

I saw that there are extension antenna cables available, so there is a way to get an antenna out to the rear parcel tray. I cannot help but wonder that this might be the best location, below the rear window and away from the metal dash and engine? My parcel tray has thick mdf on top, so there is no metal there.

1964-1/2 D Code Coupe - 289 V8, 4 Speed Toploader, 3.00 ratio rear, Autolite 4100 Carb, 15" tires, Pertronix ignition

9/22/2020 6:53 PM  #29

Stevo wrote:

BobE wrote:

The "Bingfu" antenna I purchased from Amazon works better the the Dakota Digital antenna I had installed.  I mounted both above the passenger side windshield visor, running the antenna wire down the A pillar and under the dash.  While there is more than enough antenna cable for this installation, I doubt that there is enough cable to run to the rear deck.

I saw that there are extension antenna cables available, so there is a way to get an antenna out to the rear parcel tray. I cannot help but wonder that this might be the best location, below the rear window and away from the metal dash and engine? My parcel tray has thick mdf on top, so there is no metal there.

Why not get the extension cable and temporarily run the antenna cable exposed through the interior to the back window area and see how well it works.  If it works well, than permanently route the cable.
The Bingfu antenna worked much better hanging down from the visor a few inches, than when I mounted it on top of the visor.  While I stated that it worked better than the Dakota Digital antenna, neither works that well compared to any previous car that I've owned.

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

10/16/2020 8:09 AM  #30

Well, this weekend I will mess around with mounting a second antenna in the back of the car. Somewhere around the rear parcel shelf, just below the rear window or inside the top of the rear seat. I will try amplified and non amplified.
Hopefully between this and the old mast hidden up under the console, I will get close to the same reception that I used to have when the antenna was fender mounted.
If anyone has any other ideas, please feel free to post something. Other than that, I will report back on how I went.

10/16/2020 2:55 PM  #31

Dunno if this helps but my SUV has the antenna painted on the rear window - looks like part of the defogger grid but it's not.  The reception is really good - at least as good as a mast antenna in my Mustang.

There may be an amp in the line between the antenna and the receiver to boost the signals but it might be an interesting experiment to get some conductive paint or really fine wire and see if either of those work or help out :-)

Founding Member of the Perpetually Bewildered Society

10/16/2020 11:54 PM  #32

John Ha wrote:

Dunno if this helps but my SUV has the antenna painted on the rear window - looks like part of the defogger grid but it's not.  The reception is really good - at least as good as a mast antenna in my Mustang.

There may be an amp in the line between the antenna and the receiver to boost the signals but it might be an interesting experiment to get some conductive paint or really fine wire and see if either of those work or help out :-)

You could try copper foil tape used for stain glass work.
Could solder a tab/wire to it too.

10/17/2020 3:21 PM  #33

Depending on size of antenna, you could hide it in vacuum/fuel line.
Then it would blend in without being noticed.
Or wrap it into wiring harness.
Just some ideas.

Another idea is to use just the “whip” from a late model car/truck.
Attach the antenna wire and hide it in vacuum line tucked next to windshield seal.
Hidden in plain sight.

Last edited by Nos681 (10/17/2020 3:27 PM)

10/20/2020 7:36 AM  #34

When was the last time you got a clear signal?  It would be good to know that only antenna placement is your challenge.  Temporarily position a mast outside the car to ensure you get a clear signal then continue on with the hunt.

1968 T-code Coupe with a 302.  Nice car, no show stopper for sure, but I like it.

10/20/2020 8:25 AM  #35

I mention it before. Your antenna is too close and running parallel to the grounded surface (grille) It's rejecting the signal, and yes a splitter will weaken the signal.

10/20/2020 10:51 AM  #36

Do you get this static with the car running, and with the engine not running?  You may be picking up static from the alternator with the engine running, there should be a capacitor mounted on the alternator to eliminate static, but if you're getting it with the engine not running, that isn't the problem.
You might try asking the tech people at 'Crutchfield', or 'Custom Auto Sound', they may be able to offer suggestions.

10/20/2020 2:17 PM  #37

Definitely make sure you have great reception first.

If your radio can’t get great reception with a standard antenna, you’re already at a disadvantage.

It might be the radio.

10/20/2020 2:28 PM  #38

Rufus68 wrote:

When was the last time you got a clear signal?  It would be good to know that only antenna placement is your challenge.  Temporarily position a mast outside the car to ensure you get a clear signal then continue on with the hunt.

Last time I probably had the best signal was when I had the mast mounted on the fender, the way Ford built.

10/20/2020 2:31 PM  #39

red351 wrote:

I mention it before. Your antenna is too close and running parallel to the grounded surface (grille) It's rejecting the signal, and yes a splitter will weaken the signal.

Ok, fair enough... What is the secret to locating an antenna then? Where can one be mounted? I have read some old forums and blogs where people claim that they mounted antennas behind bumpers, grilles, running boards (on old Packard's) and along frame rails. I thought mounting it along the grille was a fair place as it was outside the front of the car?

10/20/2020 2:40 PM  #40

BobE wrote:

Do you get this static with the car running, and with the engine not running?  You may be picking up static from the alternator with the engine running, there should be a capacitor mounted on the alternator to eliminate static, but if you're getting it with the engine not running, that isn't the problem.
You might try asking the tech people at 'Crutchfield', or 'Custom Auto Sound', they may be able to offer suggestions.

The static is with the car not running. It all seems to be related to not getting a good enough signal and getting interference off metal.
I do get a very minor whine when engine is running (alternator), but it only happens on stations like university stations and it happened when I had the mast antenna on the fender. I can certainly live with it, but will eventually get around to putting a filter. But again it is not enough of problem for me to do anything yet.

10/20/2020 2:43 PM  #41

Nos681 wrote:

Definitely make sure you have great reception first.

If your radio can’t get great reception with a standard antenna, you’re already at a disadvantage.

It might be the radio.

I really need some advice on good places to mount the antenna. I cannot seem to get good reception and I think it is because of interference off metal.
The radio is a Jensen that I installed back in 2002, so I am sure this is needs to be updated, but when I had the mast on the fender it was still pretty good.

10/20/2020 3:47 PM  #42

I had my car less than 6 months before my antenna was broken off in San Francisco bay area.

It was the factory extending antenna with a round base.

When stuff like that happens, i can understand why.

Ironically, still have the junkyard antenna replacement ever since.  About 29 years now.

10/21/2020 2:11 AM  #43

I just read on a 60's Camaro forum about someone saying that mounting a mast antenna inside the rear seat (at the top of the seat) is a good location. It was advised to insert the antenna mast into some rubber hose to help insulate it and ground the base of the antenna mast. The person that made the post claimed that whilst he didn't receive AM radio reception (which I don't care about), the FM reception he received was very good, if not as good as the original mast on the fender option. I am out of my league on this kind of thing, but is this true, or is the antenna likely to pick up interference inside the rear seat as well? I am thinking that inside the rear seat, at the top means that it is way from a lot of metal panel and electrics. Radio signal should have an easier path through the glass and vinyl?

The rear of the car definitely seems to be the better location with regards to less electrical interference. When trying to position any kind of antenna or cabling up near the dash or on above the dash, I get interference. Even moving the antenna cable in certain positions will generate a whole lot of static. It surprises me that I can get static with moving the antenna cable in certain locations, because I thought the antenna cable was meant to be insulated? Does this mean that the antenna cable needs to be put inside a wiring loom?

I am trying to come up with another decent option with mounting an antenna, so any help would be greatly appreciated... There has to be some interest in this surely, because I see a lot of people out there really dislike the old mast antennas on the fenders...

10/22/2020 5:21 AM  #44

So I ended up trying what that guy suggested on the Camaro forum and it worked very well. I am back to getting great radio reception.
Here is what I did...

1. I bought a 9ft antenna extension cable and wrapped the entire cable in plastic loom (to help eliminate any interference).
2. I connected the 9ft antenna cable to the radio antenna connection and then routed the 9ft antenna cable partially along the firewall and then along the floor and out to the rear seat. I tried my best to keep the antenna cable away from any electrical sources.
3. I then took a mast antenna and slid PVC tubing over the mast (to insulate it). I then taped up any other metal surfaces of the antenna with several layers of electrical tape.
4. I used plastic wiring loom on the antenna cable that is tucked up inside the rear seat.
5. I then fixed the antenna into the top of the rear seat with plastic cable ties and I also used a ground wire to ground the base of the antenna.
6. I then connected the antenna cable to the 9ft antenna cable extension.

Once I connected everything up and put the rear seat back in, I took the car for a drive and tested multiple stations. I also tested radio station reception with the garage door down. I live on the outskirts of a city with a few hills around me. I think that I have found a great fix for mounting a hidden antenna and I would also say that I am very happy with the signal quality and reception with this set up. The radio signal quality nearly seems as good as when the mast was outside on the fender. There is no reception for AM doing it this way, but I don't care for AM anyway.
I wanted to share what I did, so that others can try what I have done. Again, I am definitely no expert in this field... From what I can work out, mounting the antenna inside the upper part of the rear seat puts the antenna away from electrical interference and I think it is nice and close to the rear window.

10/22/2020 5:23 AM  #45

Antenna mast with the PVC tubing to insulate

10/22/2020 5:25 AM  #46

Mast antenna fixed into place in the top of the rear seat. Insulated and cable tied into place.

11/24/2020 7:25 AM  #47

So, based on what Toploader did, I temporarily experimented with both the "Bingfu" and the electronic "Dakota Digital" antennas moved to the back seat, simply running them exposed above the carpet between the bucket seats and laid them on the back seat.  Both worked much better than when I had them installed above the sun visor on the passenger side.  The Dakota unit did work better then the Bingfu unit.  As I started to lose the signal I held up the Dakota unit and reception did improve but I could hold it up for long and drive at the same time.  However, reception range was still not as good as my current or previous cars.

11/24/2020 2:07 PM  #48

BobE wrote:

So, based on what Toploader did, I temporarily experimented with both the "Bingfu" and the electronic "Dakota Digital" antennas moved to the back seat, simply running them exposed above the carpet between the bucket seats and laid them on the back seat.  Both worked much better than when I had them installed above the sun visor on the passenger side.  The Dakota unit did work better then the Bingfu unit.  As I started to lose the signal I held up the Dakota unit and reception did improve but I could hold it up for long and drive at the same time.  However, reception range was still not as good as my current or previous cars.

I fooled around with a number of different antennas like Bingfu and found that a traditional mast antenna is what worked best. I'm still happy with my setup tucked inside the rear seat.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.