FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/02/2020 2:25 PM  #1

How many of y'all........

run anything other than......premium fuel?!
6sally6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

10/02/2020 2:34 PM  #2

Re: How many of y'all........

High test only Sal, just like my coffee. I get pre ignition and flatulence on anything else.

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

10/02/2020 3:02 PM  #3

I always run premium. She runs best on 100LL from the airport.

Gary Zilik - Pine Junction, Colorado - 67 Coupe, 289-4V, T5

10/02/2020 5:59 PM  #4

I run regular pump gas in my mildly modified 289.

"anyone that stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty"Henry Ford

10/02/2020 6:28 PM  #5

I run regular unleaded on stock 95' 5.0. With Demon carb

10/02/2020 9:05 PM  #6

Ethel rides along with me on every trip.

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

10/02/2020 9:20 PM  #7

RV6 wrote:

I always run premium. She runs best on 100LL from the airport.

Do you notice that your gas mileage is lower? Or is it just me?

70, ragtop 351W/416 stroker Edel Performer heads w pro flow 4, Comp roller 35-421-8. T5

10/03/2020 4:55 AM  #8

Lowest grade available at the station where I'm filling it.  Premium is a complete waste of money for the stock 250 engine I have.

Founding Member of the Perpetually Bewildered Society

10/03/2020 6:20 AM  #9

87 octane Reg. gas here. 

Bash Host MSBB XVI.       BobC    1966 Mustang Coupe

10/03/2020 7:17 AM  #10

I use to truck petroleum product, and it was a known fact the higher grades could and would last longer in storage. I'm sure today with our 10 and 15 percent alcohol that may not be so true anymore. Anyway both of our Cleveland would chatter our teeth out without the highest pump grade available. High altitude and with only 91 octane available is why we turn the radio up in the western states at times.

10/03/2020 11:53 AM  #11

87 octane ethanol free for me.Runs great. 

Good, fast or cheap. Pick any two...

10/14/2020 11:12 PM  #12

I just stay away from the ethanol crap...

1964-1/2 D Code Coupe - 289 V8, 4 Speed Toploader, 3.00 ratio rear, Autolite 4100 Carb, 15" tires, Pertronix ignition

10/15/2020 6:10 AM  #13

I run 89 octane.  Probably could easily run 87.  The mileage will always be best with the lowest octane fuel the engine will tolerate.  No way to get ethanol free here unfortunately.  Every station in the state has it.  Damn corn lobby.

10/15/2020 2:14 PM  #14

TKOPerformance wrote:

The mileage will always be best with the lowest octane fuel the engine will tolerate.

Really?? The Gas Companies promote the higher the octane, the better the mpg. I'm interested to learn more on this.

1964-1/2 D Code Coupe - 289 V8, 4 Speed Toploader, 3.00 ratio rear, Autolite 4100 Carb, 15" tires, Pertronix ignition

10/15/2020 3:20 PM  #15

In Canada 93 octane is corn free and unlike lower grades equates to better mpg.

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

10/15/2020 5:49 PM  #16

It's a fact, that if you can control early detonation a lower octane will make more of something. It's just a balance of compression and total control.  You can add oil to gas to slow the burn like a lead additive and have no engine knock , but it will not completely burn off and most will end up in the oil pan. I know that from when I tried back in the 70's,when the oil started pushing out the oil dip stick.

The not so good ol' daze when we sat in a gas line for 2 hours for a $2 limit during our first oil embargo. I'm really am getting old, plus  you couldn't give a gas guzzler muscle cars away back then.....

10/16/2020 5:12 PM  #17

Toploader wrote:

TKOPerformance wrote:

The mileage will always be best with the lowest octane fuel the engine will tolerate.

Really?? The Gas Companies promote the higher the octane, the better the mpg. I'm interested to learn more on this.

Yeah, they really throw a fine line of BS at you about a lot of stuff.  The problem with higher octane fuels is that they are harder to ignite, and burn slower, particularly in an engine with lower compression than would require that octane.  You get the most complete burn running the lowest octane fuel the engine will tolerate.  I tested this with a Kia my wife had years ago.  She kept putting midgrade in it and I told her to stop.  A couple weeks later she commented that the fuel mileage was up about 20 miles per tank running 87 instead of 89.  She's a creature of habit too, so her weekly driving routine, especially at that time (pre kids), was absurdly consistent.  It equated to something like another 1.25 miles per gallon. 

10/16/2020 11:14 PM  #18

How many of you remember the White pump at Chevron? I believe it was 100 Octane. My brothers 327 with 11.5-1 and a 780 double pumper ran in the top 10 of the Portland cars back then.

Slammed Big Blue, ran over the varmints that messed with the Stang. Now all is good in the NW

10/17/2020 2:55 PM  #19

We used to run 110 Low Lead in mu uncle's '67 L88 Vette.  Yep, aviation fuel.  One of the perks of having a hanger at the local airport at the time, back when no one asked any questions.  Still the scariest car I've ever been in.  It didn't have an accelerator; it had a tire spin pedal, and located under it and close to the floor there was a spin the car 180 switch.  On drag slicks it went mid 10s at the Vette Nationals at Carlisle with our good friend (and the guy who built the car) Bobby Gold driving.  That's still stupid fast, but it was insanely stupid fast for the late '80s. 

10/18/2020 11:15 AM  #20

Premium only.

Mustang Steve Bash in Gruene, Texas September29-30, 2023

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.