FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/20/2020 6:34 PM  #1

In the beginning

10/20/2020 6:54 PM  #2

Re: In the beginning

Somebody’s boat trailer is missing a set of wheels...

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

10/20/2020 6:57 PM  #3

I owe you an apology Dan ... I thought you were responsible for the door. 

"Those telephone poles were like a picket fence"

10/20/2020 8:43 PM  #4

Wow Dan, that’s stepping back a day or two!!!

What’s the orange grill attached to ???

John  -- 67 Mustang Coupe 390 5 speed

10/20/2020 9:08 PM  #5

Cool old pics Dan. Anyone know who's owned their Mustang the longest?

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

10/20/2020 9:58 PM  #6

Like your rims  a lot!
6sally6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

10/20/2020 10:18 PM  #7

Bearing Bob wrote:

Several of us bought ours new.  Anyone have one longer than that?

Original owner - 351w,T-5, 4whl disks, power R&P

10/21/2020 5:20 AM  #8

Well, my car was built 10 years before I was born, so no.

10/21/2020 6:09 AM  #9

I bought what I could afford.
Torque Thrusts were double the price.
These are 14x6.5” Cragar wheels with 215/60/14 tires.
Several years later and after Mustangs Plus suspension,
I was able to install 235/60/14 BFG’s. (No Shelby drop).

Orange grille is attached to a friend’s ‘64 Corvair convertible.
Don’t even remember his name.
He was in Engineering Dept too.
Engineman or Machinst Mate.

I haven’t found any pictures of it.
I was at his place making a lock box for the trunk.
The later pictures have my replacement antenna with the rectangular base.
The roof was vandalized and headliner damaged...I cried😢

My replacement hood while standing in my buddy Steve’s Nissan pick up.
It wasn’t perfect then either,

10/21/2020 6:15 AM  #10

235/60/14 BFG’s
Mustangs Plus suspension (620 front, 4.5 mid eye rear, KYB’s)

10/21/2020 11:28 AM  #11

lowercasesteve wrote:

Bearing Bob wrote:

Several of us bought ours new.  Anyone have one longer than that?

Ok, you win.

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

10/21/2020 12:05 PM  #12

TKOPerformance wrote:

TKO, for some reason I thought you were older than your car. Most of us are.

High school in the early-mid 70's and the most common car was early Mustangs, Camaros and Trans-ams. 

There were others too, I had a 1966 Corvair Corsa with 65 Spyder turbo induction. Ran pretty good. I sold it in 1989, dumb, dumb dumb!

I bought my 67 in 1980 from the original owner. 

Gary Zilik - Pine Junction, Colorado - 67 Coupe, 289-4V, T5

10/21/2020 2:26 PM  #13

RV6 wrote:

TKOPerformance wrote:

TKO, for some reason I thought you were older than your car. Most of us are.

High school in the early-mid 70's and the most common car was early Mustangs, Camaros and Trans-ams. 

There were others too, I had a 1966 Corvair Corsa with 65 Spyder turbo induction. Ran pretty good. I sold it in 1989, dumb, dumb dumb!

I bought my 67 in 1980 from the original owner. 

Yeah, I'm kind of the youngster here.  I was in high school in the mid '90s.  I grew up in a car family, and started going to shows with my dad when I was probably about 11 or 12.  I saw the classic Mustangs and knew my first car had to be one.  I bought a '67 coupe when I was 14 to start restoring it, but it was just too far gone rust wise once I started striping it down.  I started looking for another '67 that could use some of the good parts and new parts I'd bought for the coupe.  My uncle found my '67 fastback up in PA somewhere and I bought it when I was 15.  I drove it every day that was nice to and from school (I had a company truck for bad weather days thanks to our family business).  I worked on it constantly and by my senior year I had it basically restored, having had it painted that summer.  It pretty much sat until about 7 years ago when my oldest wanted to take it for a drive (he was 2), so I thought, okay, its time.  So I started doing all the stuff I wanted to it to make it more driveable and fun. Fortunately I never got in a pinch where I had to sell it, or lost a place to store it.  

10/21/2020 3:14 PM  #14

I'm sooo old........."how old are you Johnny?"............I'm so old neither Rudi nor Bullet Bob can call me "kid"!

Anyhow  I was a sophomore when the Mustangs were released. I was one of the guys that said..."those will never catch on or be very popular..........except that fastback ...it's kinda cool.  Maybe because everybody and their uncle was driving one so I wanted to be different. I thought straight axle 57 Chevys.....Falcons and Thunderbolts was the only car that would 'trip-my-trigger'.
I "inherited" this Mustang from my youngster.
6sal6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

10/21/2020 10:20 PM  #15

wow you are old Sal, i was only 10 when they came out so I was still sealing my brothers model cars to play with.
Chris

Slammed Big Blue, ran over the varmints that messed with the Stang. Now all is good in the NW

10/22/2020 5:09 AM  #16

6sally6 wrote:

I'm sooo old........."how old are you Johnny?"............I'm so old neither Rudi nor Bullet Bob can call me "kid"!

Anyhow I was a sophomore when the Mustangs were released. I was one of the guys that said..."those will never catch on or be very popular..........except that fastback ...it's kinda cool. Maybe because everybody and their uncle was driving one so I wanted to be different. I thought straight axle 57 Chevys.....Falcons and Thunderbolts was the only car that would 'trip-my-trigger'.
I "inherited" this Mustang from my youngster.
6sal6

And I grew up in a Chevy family, so my rebellion may well have been getting a Mustang instead of a Camaro or Chevelle.  Though Dad did have a '55 T-Bird when I was really young that he restored, and did buy Mom a first gen Mercury Mountaineer when I was starting college.

In the end I guess I'm really all over the place, I just like cool cars.  I've got Fords, Chevys, an AMC (CJ-5), a Subaru, and a Toyota.  More Fords than anything else, but two of those were inherited, and my DD I bought mainly because I got the best deal on it (though knowing what I know now I wouldn't have considered other options). 

10/22/2020 10:03 AM  #17

YEAH!!!!!!!!..........how about some 'other guys's old pictures of their Mustang with the story to go with it?!
Come-oooooon guyz!!!
letz hear 'em....
6s6

10/22/2020 10:31 AM  #18

I had those very same wheels on my Mustang.  Looked good then.

'66 Fastback since July 27, 1981. Springtime Yellow, originally a 200 cu in, 4 speed. Also a '92 LX Coupe, 5.0, 5 speed.

10/22/2020 4:54 PM  #19

Here’s how this all started.

I had a friend come with me in my rental car to take a look at it in Livermoore area.
If I liked what i saw, I needed someone to drive rental back.

I liked what i saw and bought it...literally too.
In the excitement, i didn’t look at cooling system.

A normal 30-45 minute trip to my friend’s house took slightly longer.
About 10 miles into my return trip I saw temp climbing higher than expected.
After a brief discussion with my buddy on side of interstate 580, he followed me the rest of the way home...almost.
At Interstate speeds the temp was on hot side of center with heater on high.
My ‘65 was built with interior decor.
Even without traffic in Hayward in the evening, I caught a long red light and it overheated.

I think we were less than a mile to friend’s house.
I parked it, jumped into rental and we headed home to get some water while it cooled off.
By the time we returned, it had cooled off enough to top off just the radiator, slap cap on and drive to friends house...of course trying to catch the green traffic light to minimize run time.
Had two sets of lights to go through as well.

My first project was water pump and timing cover stud.
Yep, there was a stud in my timing cover.
After checking with auto parts stores...obviously not all parts personnel are knowledgeable about cars.
One guy was able to show me a expanded view of the assembly and NO stud.

I went to a couple of local salvage yards to pull the part i needed.
I think it took me 1/2 a day before I realized that I won’t find a ‘65 cover with the pointer cast into cover.
The bolt on pointer covers were plentiful, most were corroded badly, and pointers missing too.

Eventually, I found both and later had the fun in figuring out all of the bolt lengths.

Bright side... my lights worked, power steering worked, transmission worked, 4 wheel power drum brakes worked, and AM radio worked...heater worked too.😂

Labor of love? Or insanity?
The world may never know.😁

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.