FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/20/2013 2:04 PM  #1


cable or hydraulic clutch

Getting ready for the t5 swap.  What do we like better cable or hydraulic?


66 coupe, Now a 11 year garage ornament.
 

9/20/2013 4:24 PM  #2


Re: cable or hydraulic clutch

I like the simplicity of the cable, plus the ability to go to the Ford dealer to get replacement parts.


Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.
 

9/20/2013 6:06 PM  #3


Re: cable or hydraulic clutch

Depends on your motor. If running a BB with headers, you won't be able to squeeze a clutch fork, so you will have to an internal hydraulic.

 

9/20/2013 6:37 PM  #4


Re: cable or hydraulic clutch

So much depends on your setup.  Headers, brake setup, engine, etc. 

What do you have?

 

9/20/2013 6:48 PM  #5


Re: cable or hydraulic clutch

I did cable, using the instructions and parts from Steve. Has worked great, though does require some minor welding/fabrication especially at the bellcrank/pivot that is required to change the direction of the clutch throw. I have photos of what I did if you want to see them.


Kind regards, Bill Henderson
 

9/20/2013 11:20 PM  #6


Re: cable or hydraulic clutch

I like the hydraulic, it too is a simple system.  It also has the advantage of easily getting around headers.


If it isn't broken...modify it anyway! http://www.DazeCars.com https://galaxieforum.boardhost.com
 

9/21/2013 4:17 AM  #7


Re: cable or hydraulic clutch

I'd like to semi-hijack this thread a bit.. I'm also going to do one or the other, but haven't decided which way to go.

I have a 66 V8 C4, and will convert it to a 5.0 EFI,  T5,  and shorties, and have planned to use the MS clutch\brake pedal assy since I have to acquire a pedal assy anyway..  With this combo, is there an advantage one way or the other?

John

 

9/21/2013 12:05 PM  #8


Re: cable or hydraulic clutch

John wrote:

I'd like to semi-hijack this thread a bit.. I'm also going to do one or the other, but haven't decided which way to go.

I have a 66 V8 C4, and will convert it to a 5.0 EFI,  T5,  and shorties, and have planned to use the MS clutch\brake pedal assy since I have to acquire a pedal assy anyway..  With this combo, is there an advantage one way or the other?

John

 
Power or manual brakes?.

 

9/21/2013 12:47 PM  #9


Re: cable or hydraulic clutch

JamesW wrote:

John wrote:

I'd like to semi-hijack this thread a bit.. I'm also going to do one or the other, but haven't decided which way to go.

I have a 66 V8 C4, and will convert it to a 5.0 EFI,  T5,  and shorties, and have planned to use the MS clutch\brake pedal assy since I have to acquire a pedal assy anyway..  With this combo, is there an advantage one way or the other?

John

 
Power or manual brakes?.

Oops, power discs.  The plan right now is to use the vintage style KH discs on my original V8 spindles (that plan may change), but I definitely will need to have a booster and dual MC in that space.

John

 

9/21/2013 2:25 PM  #10


Re: cable or hydraulic clutch

I've got a 66 289 converted from a C4 to a T5. I used the Mustang Steve set up. I also have Headman long tubes and power brakes (also from MS) I'm very happy with the way it works. I did have to fab a heat shield for one tube on the headers to protect the cable. If I had it to do over I would have gone with shorty headers but still wasn't a big issue.


"anyone that stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty"Henry Ford
 

Board footera


REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.