FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/21/2020 5:15 PM  #1

love the satisfaction of making a tool & then having it work perfectly

The timing chain cover on my 351W is not setup for a front sump dipstick.  The boss was cast into the cover but no hole.  I have a 289 cover that has the hole but the water pump configuration is not correct for my application so I used it to fab up a fixture to drill out the hole on the 351W cover.  I had a 3/8 transfer punch that lined up my guide tube with the inside of the cover.

I originally planned on using a single guide plate but there was just enough flex that the fixture was moving when I tried to drill it out, so I had to add a bottom plate.

I drilled from the inside and this was the hole that I ended up with on the outside.

I am extremely please with the results.

If it isn't broken...modify it anyway! http://www.DazeCars.com https://galaxieforum.boardhost.com

10/21/2020 6:39 PM  #2

Re: love the satisfaction of making a tool & then having it work perfectly

Nice hole!!!!!
6s6

No kidd'in I totally understand. It's more about the "doing" than the results sometimes.
Nice job.

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

10/21/2020 6:41 PM  #3

Very nice.  I always like seeing your work.

1968 T-code Coupe with a 302.  Nice car, no show stopper for sure, but I like it.

10/23/2020 7:22 AM  #4

Very nice, Daze. I would not have thought to drill from the bottom.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

10/23/2020 9:28 AM  #5

MS wrote:

Very nice, Daze. I would not have thought to drill from the bottom.

I let the timing cover decide. When I started the project I wasn’t sure which side I was going to put the guide on. It was easier to fabricate the fixture with the guide on the underside.

If it isn't broken...modify it anyway! http://www.DazeCars.com https://galaxieforum.boardhost.com

10/23/2020 10:35 AM  #6

Ingenious idea to fixture the drill bit. I could've used that technique many a time in my travels. Thanks for sharing Day.

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

10/23/2020 8:16 PM  #7

I think it was a great idea!

If multiple things can go wrong, the one that will go wrong will be the one that causes the most damage.

10/23/2020 9:05 PM  #8

Well done, drill fixture tool making 101!

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

10/26/2020 4:27 PM  #9

Rudi wrote:

Well done, drill fixture tool making 101!

Thanks, I am glad it worked as well as I did because I plan on building a similar fixture on a SBF EFI lower intake so that I can drill injector holes on an edelbrock 4-barrel intake and be able to use stock fuel rails.

10/31/2020 12:39 AM  #10

Very nice.

If its worth doing do it right !

10/31/2020 12:57 PM  #11

It's really neat to have tools to make tools and other stuff ... but things like that are probably not for those of us that spend 3 hours looking for that nut that fell off the solenoid when we were messing around with the wiring, then another 20 minutes looking for the wrench we used to remove the nut so that we could re-tighten the nut.

Getting old is not for wusses!

Founding Member of the Perpetually Bewildered Society

10/31/2020 3:14 PM  #12

Daze wrote:

Thanks, I am glad it worked as well as I did because I plan on building a similar fixture on a SBF EFI lower intake so that I can drill injector holes on an edelbrock 4-barrel intake and be able to use stock fuel rails.

Thank you Day.  I too am planning a mod job on an EB manny.  Coupe Daddy sold me a EB EFI manifold and I'm hoping to see how a mass air system can be set up so that it looks fairly stock.  The injector holes in the manifold are not anywhere near the stock angle so I plan to plug 'em and re-drill.

Also...anyone out there want to part with a stock type air cleaner with the warm air tube?  Doesn't necessarily have to come from vintage Mustang.  Gotta ax.

BB1

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

10/31/2020 9:28 PM  #13

Bullet Bob wrote:

Daze wrote:

Thank you Day.  I too am planning a mod job on an EB manny.  Coupe Daddy sold me a EB EFI manifold and I'm hoping to see how a mass air system can be set up so that it looks fairly stock.  The injector holes in the manifold are not anywhere near the stock angle so I plan to plug 'em and re-drill.

Also...anyone out there want to part with a stock type air cleaner with the warm air tube?  Doesn't necessarily have to come from vintage Mustang.  Gotta ax.

BB1

You know BulletBob........I tink its about time you start posting some pitcherz of the stuff you be fabb'in!!
                        (Can I get an a-men from the choir?!)
6s6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

11/01/2020 6:53 AM  #14

Well Mike, If I'm ever able to get off'en my dedass and actually do something, I might. 
Let's see.  Since the Heap died back in...what was it?  April?, March?, Hell I can't rememberize.  I have managed to change the EFI wiring to accommodate a 94-95 PCM...guess I could take a pic of the EEC connector, humm, not much to see.  But I also did make a new transmission harness to handle the 4R70W box.  Okay, I'll post a pic of that.  I also just finished rebuilding that same trans. Pitcher.  And, I modified a mechanical oil pressure gauge to fit in the stock instrument cluster...Ok, nuther pic.

I'll post those later, Mike.  Promise.

I have posed pix of my 15inch "Stock" steering wheel...and my highly modified Rally Pac.  Butt (TS&T), I promise if I ever get to the EFI mod that I mentioned to Day I'll shoot pitchers...if it runs.

BB1

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

11/01/2020 10:43 AM  #15

Okay Mike, here's some pix.  I could have included one of the cat and it would be just as interesting,  butt you axed.

Freshly reassembled 4R70W.  Finished it yesterday.   Tail shaft housing will be replaced with the one off the AOD.

New trans harness.

unique lines

Mechanical oil pressure gauge , speedo with Idiot lights.

15 inch wheel and accessory fuse panel.

Custom HVAC escutcheon for Vintage Air system and 66 Fairlane AC vent.

There!

11/01/2020 11:06 AM  #16

I really like the markings on the heater control panel.  Thank you for the idea!  Also wondering - is that a "low fuel" light next to your fuel gauge?

TIA

11/01/2020 11:32 AM  #17

John Ha wrote:

I really like the markings on the heater control panel.  Thank you for the idea!  Also wondering - is that a "low fuel" light next to your fuel gauge?

TIA

A friend of mine can 3D print the heater control panel.  That one is glued over a stock piece with contact cement..."no stock parts were injured in that modification".  Yes on the low fuel light,  John, and it has saved me.  Contact Walt Sinsle (wsinsle) on this forum.  Steve Janik and I were trying to come up with a circuit but weren't smart enough.  Walt stepped up and did it.  His final offering has an adjustable solid state CVR and the low fuel circuit.  Attach it to your fuel gauge circuit and follow the adjustment instructions.  Works great but I don't know if Walt is still making any. 

BB

Last edited by Bullet Bob (11/01/2020 11:33 AM)

11/01/2020 11:39 AM  #18

Bullet Bob wrote:

A friend of mine can 3D print the heater control panel.  That one is glued over a stock piece with contact cement..."no stock parts were injured in that modification".  Yes on the low fuel light,  John, and it has saved me.  Contact Walt Sinsle (wsinsle) on this forum.  Steve Janik and I were trying to come up with a circuit but weren't smart enough.  Walt stepped up and did it.  His final offering has an adjustable solid state CVR and the low fuel circuit.  Attach it to your fuel gauge circuit and follow the adjustment instructions.  Works great but I don't know if Walt is still making any. 

BB

Hoping Hakan won't mind too much

11/02/2020 7:48 PM  #19

Day,

About drilling those injector holes.  Been thinking about it and without a five axis mill or a fixture to hold the manifold at the right compound angles you might want to consider a fixture that allows you to do the final boring with an end mill of the proper diameter.  Drill the through hole and then the finish hole within about thirty thousandths of what you need then finish with an end mill.  That will make a perfectly round hole and will make the bottom have a square shoulder like the originals.  I'm thinking the fixture could have sleeves to accommodate the pilot drill, through drill, rough finish drill and finally the end mill.  Lotta work but the results should be perfect.

BB1

11/03/2020 2:55 PM  #20

Im actually going to go a slightly different direction.  When I made my CFI I added two injectors to the carb adapter.  I did it by turning some "cups" and then pressing them into the holes I drilled in the adapter.  That way I could machine  shoulders and such with my lathe.  The cups were then TIGed to the adapter.  I will use the same technique that way I can use a fuel rail and dummy injectors to insure everything lines up correctly... at least thats the plan  

11/03/2020 4:20 PM  #21

Gotta have a plan.  Looking forward to seeing the process.

Bob

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.