FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/07/2020 7:02 PM  #1

never done this before

putting in a posi and I  am attempting to put the ring gear and pinion in. this is my first attempt at doing this. I have marked the ring gear and pinion with the paint. do I need to remove that paint or can I run it the way it is?

11/07/2020 7:45 PM  #2

Re: never done this before

Run it the way it is, not an issue

11/07/2020 8:11 PM  #3

How did you get a posi to bolt into a Ford differential?

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

11/07/2020 8:50 PM  #4

I put a posi into my open 9 in that I bought to put into my Mustang. I used a Yukon posi and gears. It all just clicked together.

70, ragtop 351W/416 stroker Edel Performer heads w pro flow 4, Comp roller 35-421-8. T5

11/07/2020 9:23 PM  #5

I believe "posi" here is being used as a generic term.

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

11/07/2020 10:01 PM  #6

MS, it is an Aburn unit, it had 3.80 gears didn't want them, put in a set of 3.25 pulled them out of the open case that was in my 8". it has been an "adventure" but I do enjoy doing something I've never done before. the best part was using the gauges that were my dads to set up the lash. he was the last one to touch them back in the early 60's if not in the 50's.
 Bullet Bob yes I am using that term as a "generic", so to use the correct terminology, what would it be?

11/08/2020 6:40 AM  #7

The generic name is "limited slip".  GM calls theirs "Posi Traction", Ford calls theirs "Traction-Lok", MOPAR calls theirs "Sure Grip"

Founding Member of the Perpetually Bewildered Society

11/08/2020 6:46 AM  #8

john ha, thanks for the  corrections, i'll try to get that corrected in my vocabulary. but at almost 69, it's going to be rough to change being wrong for so long, thanks

11/08/2020 8:12 AM  #9

Don't worry about it, Val.  Everyone knew what you meant, MS was just bein'....well, MS.  That why we love him.

As for learning new stuff at 69, young man, try taking on EFI tuning at 74  and then adding electronic transmission control via PCM a year later.  Keeps the the old gourd working though.

BB1

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

11/08/2020 9:43 AM  #10

val fulesday wrote:

john ha, thanks for the  corrections, i'll try to get that corrected in my vocabulary. but at almost 69, it's going to be rough to change being wrong for so long, thanks

Perhaps you can remember the Aussie term I learned back in early 90’s....LSD😁

11/08/2020 4:01 PM  #11

I wouldn't worry about the paint, you need to change the fluid shortly anyway after you break in the gears.

Posi has become the to differentials what Xerox has become to copies.  Personally I prefer the term LSD, as its accurate no matter the make.  All the others are just different manufacturer's names.  I actually liked the ones that referred to grip, like Twin Grip or Twin Traction from AMC and Studebaker/Packard respectively. 

11/09/2020 9:30 AM  #12

val fulesday wrote:

Happy to help.  As was stated by others, it doesn't really matter as long as those to whom you speak understand what you mean  :-)

Founding Member of the Perpetually Bewildered Society

11/09/2020 5:23 PM  #13

got the falcon off the jack stands and stressed tested the gear change, no unusual sounds. so the "Traction Lock" seems to be doing it's job. interesting when I got on it, no long black mark (notice singular) just a couple a bit less than half the distance then before. ok MS, i am trying to keep up with the correct termanolgy. thanks for the help this site has provided, i truly appreciate it.

Last edited by val fulesday (11/09/2020 5:29 PM)

11/09/2020 10:52 PM  #14

Not to be an a$$, but if we're getting particular I believe it's traction lok.

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

11/10/2020 3:53 AM  #15

Bearing Bob wrote:

Not to be an a$$, but if we're getting particular I believe it's traction lok.

Yeah, good engineers, bad at spelling...

11/10/2020 6:35 AM  #16

call it what you will, (Auburn)miss spelling and, wrong terminology, I got it finished, stress tested it, no extra parts left over, it was a good day.

11/10/2020 5:01 PM  #17

I thought it was Alburn......like the hairs!?!
6sal6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

11/10/2020 7:21 PM  #18

swell. I could be wrong ..... yet again or would that be some more. ya know guys when i'm out in public i ware a cap, the reason is to keep people from actually acting out what seems to be written on my forhead, some where even though i don't see it in the mornings when i look in the mirrow, SCREW WITH ME, i wouldn't think you'd get that through the computer either, not the first time i've been wrong.

Last edited by val fulesday (11/10/2020 7:26 PM)

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.