FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/09/2020 6:44 AM  #1

89 5.0 cams

i seem to remember that years ago I read or heard that the roller cam shafts could be changed without changing  the roller lifters. anyone else ever hear of such a thing?  of the ford factory cams which one would be the better choice for street/performance 5.0? is there any markings on the ford cams that would tell me what is currently in the engine, what might they be and where?

11/09/2020 9:35 AM  #2

Re: 89 5.0 cams

Yes, the factory billet roller cams can be swapped and old lifters reused if they pass inspection.  The roller lifters are only about $150 a set, though and are some degree of insurance.  Don’t ask me how I know what a busted Ford roller lifter looks like, or what the resulting carnage looks like.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

11/09/2020 11:07 AM  #3

Given the age of even the newest 5.0 engines I would never reuse lifters.  Its fine from a standpoint of they don't develop a wear pattern with the cam like flat tappets do, but the age at this point makes the old lifters suspect.  If a lifter fails the needle rollers can exit the lifter and lock up the oil pump and then its bye bye engine.  So to me its false economy to save $150 while putting the engine at risk. 

11/09/2020 1:30 PM  #4

i bought this 89 mustang GT a few years back only wanted the t5 but I thought what the heck, but an old distributor in it and a intake with carb and fired it up in the garage floor. no idea how many miles were on it but I do know the owner street raced the car. it sounded ok but never got much above idle.

11/09/2020 1:32 PM  #5

My lifter failed with 12,000 miles on it in my 427.   The ones in my truck still worked art 300,000 miles. 

Throw the dice...

11/09/2020 3:09 PM  #6

After all the "glitter" my failed main bearings ran through the engine I bought new lifters.  The standard Ford roller can be had from various outlets for around $130.  I stepped up to the high performance ones at $170 from Summit which I don't need but maybe they'll hang together for a while.  These are made in Old Mexico and I have no idea where the lower priced spread is made...Upper Slobovia?

BB

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

11/09/2020 4:51 PM  #7

My advice is to purchase new roller lifters. For the 5.
0 I rebuilt for the FB, I reused the old lifters but,  the lifters on #6 cylinder failed. So, had to undo what I already had do'd....and I twasent happy. This was at crunch time just before the covid canceled Bash. Ordered a set of Ford racing lifters from summit and will do so for the latest 5.0 engine purchase....peace of mind for me.

11/09/2020 7:12 PM  #8

My truck got the engine built up with a 300,000 mile 2001 Explorer 5.0.   It got rings and bearings and a 5.0 GT cam with the GT40P heads that got a valve job.  The intent was to not spend a ton of money.  Once the truck is on the road, it will likely get another block assembly that I will bore .030 and put new lifters in it.  Maybe a 270 cam like Warley’s. And a new set of lifters.  And STILL not have a bunch of money in it!

11/10/2020 5:09 PM  #9

josh-kebob wrote:

........... So, had to undo what I already had do'd....and I twasent happy.........

"Look BB!!!!.....................I'm so proud of the boy I'ma bout ta squirt!.......... 
He butchered the queenz anglish jest like you dew!!
(Might be that Aler-bammer coming out in'em)!!!
6sal6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

12/24/2020 12:21 PM  #10

val fulesday wrote:

i of the ford factory cams which one would be the better choice for street/performance 5.0? is there any markings on the ford cams that would tell me what is currently in the engine, what might they be and where?

Did you get an answer to this part of your question?
I’m interested too.

12/24/2020 3:10 PM  #11

NO!!!!!!!!.........not 'till now.....
All the stock-ish 5.0 cams are ground with wimmen drivers/grandma in mind.
Performance and stock FoMoCo roller cams should not be used in the same sentence!
I say this for a couple reasons. 1st.....it's considered "old-tech" by now. Much better choices lift/duration/rampdesign/LSA in after market cams than what FoMoCo HAD (all caps for emphasis)
2nd.....most of the used cams will have 'an abundance' of miles worn into them.(It would be interesting just how many feet  of distance the lobes have had rollers rolling over them.  I would guess millions and millions of feet!!)
3rd......Don't even think about used lifters (the rollers on them have traveled waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyy more feet of travel then the lobes!
4th......IF you shop around, you can get a custom ground cam for the same price (or less) than one of the 'alphabet cams' that FoMoCo sells with waaaayyyy better design.
Stock "performance" FoMoCo camshafts DO make excellent door props and wall art
IMO
6sal6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

12/25/2020 8:33 AM  #12

The Mustang 5.0 HO cam was the best of the bunch, but like 6Sally6 said, its kind of like being the smartest person with Downs Syndrome. 

Even the letter cams from FRRP at this point are super dated.  A lot of them are single pattern cams too, which boggles the mind when you consider how bad the I/E flow relationship is on a set of stock 5.0 heads.  If you're going to run aftermarket heads anyway then its time to match the cam to the heads, engine size (if stroking it), vehicle weight, trans, etc. 

When selecting a cam I just call Crane and talk to their tech department and get their recommendation.  Their tech department answers the phone and is very knowledgeable.  I've always been happy with the cams they've sent me.  There are definitely other good companies as well though. 

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.