FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/04/2020 4:36 PM  #1

5w-20?? That cant be right

I will soon have my 351W back together and was planning on running 10W-40 in it like I do in my other Windsor motors but just to be safe I looked it up on line and the "correct" oil for a 95 F150 with a 5.8 is listed as 5W-20.  It said it is important to use this oil because of tighter bearing tolerances.  The bearings I put in it are stock and the same measurements for basically any 351W so why would they be telling me to use thinner oil?  Better fuel economy??  Would love to hear your opinions.

If it isn't broken...modify it anyway! http://www.DazeCars.com https://galaxieforum.boardhost.com

11/04/2020 4:48 PM  #2

Re: 5w-20?? That cant be right

Daze wrote:

I will soon have my 351W back together and was planning on running 10W-40 in it like I do in my other Windsor motors but just to be safe I looked it up on line and the "correct" oil for a 95 F150 with a 5.8 is listed as 5W-20.  It said it is important to use this oil because of tighter bearing tolerances.  The bearings I put in it are stock and the same measurements for basically any 351W so why would they be telling me to use thinner oil?  Better fuel economy??  Would love to hear your opinions.

Oh heck no, in my 351w based stroker it's VR-1 10w30. Most of the Gen 1 Lightning guys run 10-30 or even 20w-50 in the higher mileage ones.

11/04/2020 5:23 PM  #3

10W30 would be correct.  The 5W20 didn't start to be used until the modular engines came out.  They do have very tight tolerances, and most importantly for the thin oil, a crank driven oil pump with absurdly tight tolerances.  Now engines are even running 0W20.  The stuff pours like water.  It can be done with really good oil control and full synthetic oils, but only newer engines are designed to use oil that thin. 

11/04/2020 5:46 PM  #4

Thats what I thought but wanted to double check because I found 5W-20 listed at several auto parts stores as well as summit racing so I am thinking that is what Ford recommended.  Would love to see what a shop manual says.  I will go with the 5W-30.  I know what you are saying about the 0W-20 my Tundra uses it and it is way thin.

If it isn't broken...modify it anyway! http://www.DazeCars.com https://galaxieforum.boardhost.com

11/04/2020 6:54 PM  #5

This what my Haynes manual shows.

11/04/2020 7:25 PM  #6

"They" say roller lifters need the  5w.

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

11/05/2020 5:58 AM  #7

My initial thought was to call BS on that.  My 6.0 has roller lifters and the factory oil weight is 15W40, with 10W40 recommended in extremely cold environments.  But as I got to thinking about it there were some reported cases of lifter failure in the 6.0, Ford also changed their recommendation to 5W40 synthetic (Shell Rotella T6).  The belief was that this change was in the interest of improving injector life by reducing or eliminating stiction caused by oil deposits in the spool valves.  I'm now thinking that this also coincided with a reduction in the number of reports of lifter failures.  Its likely just a coincidence, Ford probably just had a run of bad lifters, and once those were sorted out after failure the problems disappeared.  Thinking about it the trucks that seemed to have this issue were all '04.5-'05, right after they changed the HPO system design, so it supports that logic.  But it can't really be completely ruled out either with the data I currently have.

My thoughts on oil weight?  Run the lightest stuff that will protect the engine.  I run 5W30 in my 289 and will run it in the 331 I'm dropping in my '89.

Last edited by TKOPerformance (11/05/2020 6:00 AM)

11/05/2020 2:00 PM  #8

I un 5w-20 in all my KIA's....LOL   10w-30 in my Mustang. 

11/06/2020 6:22 AM  #9

I found 1996 F150 owners manual. Page 320

https://manual-hub.com/manuals/ford-f-150-1996-01-pdf-manual/

Last edited by Nos681 (11/06/2020 6:25 AM)

11/06/2020 7:03 PM  #10

Nos681 wrote:

I found 1996 F150 owners manual. Page 320

https://manual-hub.com/manuals/ford-f-150-1996-01-pdf-manual/

Here, made it easier for y'all.

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

11/07/2020 5:36 AM  #11

I couldn’t figure iut how to add a PDF.  If someone wanted the entire manual for future reference.

11/07/2020 6:44 AM  #12

One thing to keep in mind is that 5W20 wasn't a normal weight oil that you could even find in the mid '90s.  I remember when the engines that used it first came out, and there was like one company other than Ford that was making it.  Now its everywhere. 

11/07/2020 9:22 AM  #13

When we were up in the Yukon and AK a few years ago. We couldn't fine 10W30 on the store shelf. A lot of 0W10 or 20. Next time we need to take some oil along. 

11/07/2020 12:49 PM  #14

Ford came out with tsb 99-08-16 that showed to use 5w30 in all engines late 80's to 99 then they came out with tsb 02-01-09 that stated to use 5w20 oil in everything except 4.0 Mustang, Ranger and Explorer.3.3 Villager and 3.9 Lincoln LS .They still use 5w30.The part store specs stem from these latest recommendations from FORD.

11/08/2020 6:44 AM  #15

And that couldn't possibly have anything to do with planned obsolescence.  I think its unlikely that 5W20 would cause an outright engine failure.  All 5W20 is pure synthetic oil.  The issue you have is what putting synthetic oil in an engine that old would do, namely cause massive oil leaks.  People don't want to have the leak fixed, don't want to be embarrassed by leaving oil everywhere, so they sell the old one and buy a new one.  Unless there was a known issue which could be attributed to oil weight I would pay as much attention to that TSB as I would a tabloid headline. 

11/10/2020 5:35 PM  #16

I'm going to preface my response to this thread by saying that I have been in the oil business for 25 years, PCMO's (Passenger Car Motor Oils) is my gig.  I have worked for an oil company in St. Paul for 22 of those years and have also been an Amsoil distributor before then.  I have represented many brands so before you go thinking I'm just another Amsoil dealer looking to sell the snake oil, you're wrong.  It's not for everyone and every application.  I do wholeheartedly believe it is on of the best products in the industry.  Their quality control and R&D is second to none.  In regards to the 5w20 that Ford "recommends" in some of their engines.  This product has been manufactured for FoMoCo by Conoco-Phillips.  I rep'd them for almost 10 years and while I don't think it is the best choice, the product is good.  TKO stated all 5w20 is pure synthetic oil.  No offense but that is not true at all.  If it is API licensed, then it is at a minimum 5w20 synthetic blend and can be a full or pure synthetic if you seek it out.  My recommendation with the lighter weights is to utilize a 0w product.  0 weights are much more sheer stable than 5w or 10w motor oils, meaning that the it will keep the metal surfaces from making contact with each other.  0w's do a great job of that task.  I personally use full synthetic 10w30 in my 393w but my Dad uses 5w20 full synthetic in his 500 hp 347.  Why?  Our motors were built with different tolerances.  He decided to build his tighter than I built mine.  Nothing wrong with that, you just have to use the right motor oil weight to protect it.  Also, synthetic motor oils do NOT cause leaks, they only expose them.  They do a fantastic job of cleaning, therefor, if you have deposits sitting on cracks in seals and gaskets, the oil will clean them off and expose  the leak.  Enough for now.  I could go on forever. 

Last edited by Kristang (11/10/2020 5:36 PM)

11/10/2020 5:50 PM  #17

Kristang wrote:

I'm going to preface my response to this thread by saying that I have been in the oil business for 25 years, PCMO's (Passenger Car Motor Oils) is my gig.  I have worked for an oil company in St. Paul for 22 of those years and have also been an Amsoil distributor before then.  I have represented many brands so before you go thinking I'm just another Amsoil dealer looking to sell the snake oil, you're wrong.  It's not for everyone and every application.  I do wholeheartedly believe it is on of the best products in the industry.  Their quality control and R&D is second to none.  In regards to the 5w20 that Ford "recommends" in some of their engines.  This product has been manufactured for FoMoCo by Conoco-Phillips.  I rep'd them for almost 10 years and while I don't think it is the best choice, the product is good.  TKO stated all 5w20 is pure synthetic oil.  No offense but that is not true at all.  If it is API licensed, then it is at a minimum 5w20 synthetic blend and can be a full or pure synthetic if you seek it out.  My recommendation with the lighter weights is to utilize a 0w product.  0 weights are much more sheer stable than 5w or 10w motor oils, meaning that the it will keep the metal surfaces from making contact with each other.  0w's do a great job of that task.  I personally use full synthetic 10w30 in my 393w but my Dad uses 5w20 full synthetic in his 500 hp 347.  Why?  Our motors were built with different tolerances.  He decided to build his tighter than I built mine.  Nothing wrong with that, you just have to use the right motor oil weight to protect it.  Also, synthetic motor oils do NOT cause leaks, they only expose them.  They do a fantastic job of cleaning, therefor, if you have deposits sitting on cracks in seals and gaskets, the oil will clean them off and expose  the leak.  Enough for now.  I could go on forever. 

Good stuff, I run Amsoil trans fluid in my fully built E40D. Love it other than the price

11/10/2020 6:28 PM  #18

Soooooo....would  synthetic oil be a good oil to use to "flush out" an older engine of unknown life?!
AKA junk yard engine.
6s6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

11/10/2020 8:10 PM  #19

I would not do that. It has been known to clean out the engine in big enough chunks to flow down stream and plug something up causing engine failure.

70, ragtop 351W/416 stroker Edel Performer heads w pro flow 4, Comp roller 35-421-8. T5

11/10/2020 8:53 PM  #20

6sally6 wrote:

Soooooo....would synthetic oil be a good oil to use to "flush out" an older engine of unknown life?!
AKA junk yard engine.
6s6

Umm, no! LOL  You'd be better off running some ATF in the crank case and then refilling with motor oil

11/10/2020 8:54 PM  #21

Raymond_B wrote:

Kristang wrote:

Good stuff, I run Amsoil trans fluid in my fully built E40D. Love it other than the price

If you want excellence, you have to pay for excellence!

11/11/2020 12:22 AM  #22

I was going to give my 2 cents but Kristang said it in a nut shell. I too have been running synthetic for 40 years staying mostly with Amsoil. I run 10-40 in my SBCs and broke in my 289 @ 120K with 10-40. i love it. I ran 0-50 in my built rabbit and never had problems. I have stories but not now, maybe some day. It is great oil and that's one reason they put it in new stuff.

Slammed Big Blue, ran over the varmints that messed with the Stang. Now all is good in the NW

11/11/2020 7:01 AM  #23

Kristang wrote:

I truly appreciate the information.  My belief that all 5W20 was full synthetic stems from the fact that when we first needed to buy it for my brother's Explorer we were told by the local NAPA that it was only available in full synthetic.  Now what that may have meant was that they only carried it in full synthetic.

Regarding synthetic oil causing leaks, its a bit of potato/potahto.  If you didn't notice the leak before because it was so minor and it was "exposed" by the synthetic; the synthetic in essence created a leak that wasn't there before.  I've had considerable experience with this, particularly with first generation synthetics, specifically Mobil 1.  Scuttlebutt at the time was that the oil did not have the right additive packing in it to keep seals plump.  I swapped an older engine over to Mobil 1 and it started leaking, I switched it back and the leaks went away.  There was also talk that part of this was a lack of parafins in the oil.  This was a problem with the initial ULS Diesel fuel that was later corrected, and caused problems with older engines that needed the lubricity the parafins provided.  Removing the sulphur also removed the parafins, and older engines could be damaged without running a lubricity additive.  Eventually this was corrected with a different additive package, and is no longer an issue despite widespread belief that it is.  This may well be the case with synthetics, but you can understand why my past experience would make me gun shy. 

11/11/2020 7:52 PM  #24

TKOPerformance wrote:

Kristang wrote:

I truly appreciate the information.  My belief that all 5W20 was full synthetic stems from the fact that when we first needed to buy it for my brother's Explorer we were told by the local NAPA that it was only available in full synthetic.  Now what that may have meant was that they only carried it in full synthetic.

Regarding synthetic oil causing leaks, its a bit of potato/potahto.  If you didn't notice the leak before because it was so minor and it was "exposed" by the synthetic; the synthetic in essence created a leak that wasn't there before.  I've had considerable experience with this, particularly with first generation synthetics, specifically Mobil 1.  Scuttlebutt at the time was that the oil did not have the right additive packing in it to keep seals plump.  I swapped an older engine over to Mobil 1 and it started leaking, I switched it back and the leaks went away.  There was also talk that part of this was a lack of parafins in the oil.  This was a problem with the initial ULS Diesel fuel that was later corrected, and caused problems with older engines that needed the lubricity the parafins provided.  Removing the sulphur also removed the parafins, and older engines could be damaged without running a lubricity additive.  Eventually this was corrected with a different additive package, and is no longer an issue despite widespread belief that it is.  This may well be the case with synthetics, but you can understand why my past experience would make me gun shy. 

A lot of truth to what you said!  The first generation synthetic oils DID cause leaks because the base oils would actually cause engine seals to shrink and expose gaps causing the oil to run out all over the place!  As most things that stand the test of time, these oil have been improved.  Seal swelling agents are now part of the additive packages used in the synthetic oils so that is not an issue any longer.  However, the cleaning ability of polyalphaolefin base oils still exists.  These are the top tier synthetics, the oils that cost $$$$.  So I agree with the potato/potatoe analogy.  I don't ever recommend a conversion in a motor with high miles that has not been serviced on a strict schedule.  Paraffin's are wax molecules that are used as an oil stabilizer.  You'd hate to see the old Pennzoil formula in the cold temps!  It would leave a wax layer in your oil pan much like the wax layer left when canning some foods.  Your oil pump and engine temp would have to break that up and melt it back into the oil.  I have disassembled a few motors that had Pennzoil run in them.  Pulled the valve covers and you couldn't see the rocker arms because the they were packed with wax!  A great oil in hot temps but not in the cold. 

So the paraffin in the diesel fuel did do the same thing.  It would crystalize in the cold temps and we had fuel pump hoses at our convenience stores that broke in half because they were frozen solid.  Here in Minnesota we have biodiesel and ULSD so they work together to make something horrible, tolerable. 

I don't think anyone should be afraid of synthetic motor oils.  There are way too many benefits to not use them.  I see guys spend a TON of money on motors and then they buy the cheapest motor oil they can find on sale.  It's the life blood of your engine, don't skimp, it's cheap insurance.

11/11/2020 8:03 PM  #25

With a new engine, at what point is it "safe" to switch to synthetic?

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.