FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/11/2020 9:10 PM  #26

Re: 5w-20?? That cant be right

Chaplin wrote:

With a new engine, at what point is it "safe" to switch to synthetic?

Immediately after break in period.  On a dyno session we break everything in with 10w30 blend motor oil for 20 minutes and then we switch to full synthetic and start making pulls.  In a street car, you want to run the motor for approximately 300-500 miles and get the break in oil out of there.  Then you're good to go!

11/12/2020 6:03 AM  #27

I'm a big believer in synthetics, particularly Amsoil.  My motto has always been: oil is cheap, engines are expensive. 

I too have seen engines where the rocker boxes and lifter valley were both packed full of wax.  Around here it was attributed to Quaker State oil.  I think a big part of it was also that the engines were typically low RPM and likely were used to make a lot of short trips, especially in winter where the oil never reached proper temperature. 

As far as switching to synthetic, on a rebuild, yes, once the break in period is over.  The only danger with synthetic on a fresh engine is that the rings won't seat because the lubricity is so good.  Once the rings have seated there's no reason not to run it.  The only exception is new vehicles that come with synthetic from the factory.  The OEMs have developed proprietary honing processes that get ring seat essentially immediately on first fire up.  In that case you can just continue to run the factory spec oil, or switch to another brand of your choice.

One thing I will add about breaking in a new engine; use a good break in oil.  I really like the Joe Gibbs oil I've been using.  Plenty of ZDDP for flat tappet engines, and even if its a roller there's still benefit to having that ZDDP initially to reduce heat and friction as everything seats in. 

11/12/2020 6:37 AM  #28

Ok, so here's a question.

I broke my engine in on an engine dyno and then dropped it in the car. It probably has 20-30 minutes of  "easy" break-in time on the dyno followed by 12-15 pulls. Since dropping it in the car, it's got a whopping total of 5 miles on it as I sort other issues and get it ready for the road.

Is the dyno time enough or should I drive it a few hundred miles before switching to synthetic?

11/12/2020 4:04 PM  #29

Personally I would put at least a couple hundred miles on it of street driving.  A dyno doesn't really provide a dynamic loading of the engine the way driving does.  Pull some steep hills in high gear, then roll down the other side.  I've always found that was a great way to make sure the rings were fully seated. 

11/12/2020 4:20 PM  #30

Great discussion! @Kristang What's your opinion of the Valvoline VR Racing line? It advertises "high zinc" among other things.

11/14/2020 9:24 AM  #31

Raymond_B wrote:

Great discussion! @Kristang What's your opinion of the Valvoline VR Racing line? It advertises "high zinc" among other things.

That product is a great option for those with flat tappet cams!  That is my choice for break in oil

11/14/2020 10:14 AM  #32

I've always used synthetic, mostly Amsoil in my engines. When I went through my current engine I assembled it with transmission oil in the cylinders and assembly lube everywhere else as per the machine shop suggestions. The trans oil is good for cleaning out the cylinders and initial start up for breaking in the rings. That's how they build their race engines. I used Joe Gibbs break in oil for 500 miles and then changed it to the cheap O'rieley's oil for 3000 miles. They suggest moving to synthetic after that. That's a different routine for me.

70, ragtop 351W/416 stroker Edel Performer heads w pro flow 4, Comp roller 35-421-8. T5

11/14/2020 5:14 PM  #33

I'd stick with the "cheap O'Rielly oil"!  Your engine don't know the difference....for all the driving you will prolly do.
   If you're racing sure......spend the bucks....IF your towing...same answer.
For an 'old-man' putt'in around town and lett'in-er-rip occasionally any SAE oil will do just fine.  Changing it AND the filter on a regular basis (every 6 months or 5000miles) will 'prolly' make it last until you're too old to drive!
I mean..........why?? Less friction will give you a couple extra miles per gallon?! Whoopee.....you drive a modified hot rod, mileage is prolly the LAST thing on your mind.
                                 Enable you to get that last 8 more horse-power when turning 6500 RPM...wooo-hoo... how often (If ever) do you spin it to 6000 much less regular trips to 6500 rpm.
                                  Less friction will enable you to get 300,000 miles before a re-build instead of 250,000 miles..."can-I-get-a-what-what" (I love that!! ....like your gonna put that kinda mileage on a 'bash-mobile'/weekend play-purtty)
                                  Buy what Walmart has on sale and change the filter often. 'It ALL comes outta the same hole' as far as SAE oil is concerned. The rest is just great marketing.  IMHO
                                   Now..........if you are running a flat tappet cam(hydraulic or solid) then a Zinc additive is definitely needed. Buy that when you get the O'Reilly stuff (or Walmart) .....'Outta-the-same-hole'......

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

11/14/2020 7:12 PM  #34

Actually my reasoning is that the synthetic sticks to stuff a whole lot better than conventional.  When a vehicle sits for extended periods, as our hot rods do, I'm not worried that all the oil has run off the various parts and that I'm starting it dry when I go to fire it up after a winter slumber.  This same attribute allows it to protect rear gears, transmissions parts, etc. from rust and corrosion caused by condensation.  If you've ever tried to clean synthetic oil off stuff you'll see what I mean.  I tend to use Amsoil ATF anytime I need to assemble something where I need seals to slide on, etc. for the same reason.  It doesn't seem to make anything swell, and its as slippery as snake #$%^.

12/29/2020 12:58 PM  #35

Daze wrote:

I will soon have my 351W back together and was planning on running 10W-40 in it like I do in my other Windsor motors but just to be safe I looked it up on line and the "correct" oil for a 95 F150 with a 5.8 is listed as 5W-20.  It said it is important to use this oil because of tighter bearing tolerances.  The bearings I put in it are stock and the same measurements for basically any 351W so why would they be telling me to use thinner oil?  Better fuel economy??  Would love to hear your opinions.

Daze, this is from a 1997 F250 5.8L (speed density-non California)

12/29/2020 4:12 PM  #36

Thanks for the pic, that says it all

If it isn't broken...modify it anyway! http://www.DazeCars.com https://galaxieforum.boardhost.com

12/29/2020 6:35 PM  #37

I change my Mustang oil every 6 months  because I don't put enough miles on it  to warrant doing the mileage thang.
I use what ever is on sale. Filter too (except Fram)  It ALL comes outta the same hole guys!
10-30/5-30/10-40..little synthetic/synthetic blend Anything 'greazy'! (well almost)
6sal6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.