FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/09/2020 8:08 PM  #1

New Tremec TKX

Anyone think one of these will fit in a 65 or 66 without major tunnel surgery? They look pretty round on top. they look like the older versions of the 5 speed with the rounded end load case. Might have to try one.

11/10/2020 3:48 AM  #2

Re: New Tremec TKX

It looks fairly compact, so it should be swap friendly.  I would not be the guinea pig though.  The original 3550s had some teething issues if I recall, and I'd be curious to see what people think of the shift feel, as that's been a problem with Tremecs forever. 

11/10/2020 7:50 AM  #3

TKOPerformance wrote:

It looks fairly compact, so it should be swap friendly.  I would not be the guinea pig though.  The original 3550s had some teething issues if I recall, and I'd be curious to see what people think of the shift feel, as that's been a problem with Tremecs forever. 

You're gonna' have to change your screen name

11/10/2020 9:13 AM  #4

Raymond_B wrote:

TKOPerformance wrote:

You're gonna' have to change your screen name

Heh, it is confusing.  It starts with TKO and I know a lot about transmissions...

Actually its left over from an old side business I ran TK is my initials, O stood for Original.  That business did in fact rebuild and improve primarily transmissions, transfer cases, and rear ends. 

11/11/2020 6:36 PM  #5

I started looking at the TKX might be a great option to the t-5

65 coupe, 351w, c4, power disk brakes, power r&p, vintage air.

11/12/2020 10:04 PM  #6

Heard they fit with no tunnel modification.  Just not sure if its worth spending $2800 on a transmission for a 350hp 302.

11/13/2020 6:28 AM  #7

Steve69 wrote:

Heard they fit with no tunnel modification.  Just not sure if its worth spending $2800 on a transmission for a 350hp 302.

Its not.  A Z spec T5 is fine for that application.  Even a regular T5 would be fine with a cluster support and preloading the shafts a tiny bit.  I'm also now seeing the Z spec gear sets available aftermarket, so you could convert a Fox T5 to Z spec gears if you already had the trans and wanted to save vs. buying a new trans. 

11/13/2020 9:53 AM  #8

I have raced my 95 Mustang GT for 18 years with the Tremec TKO. Early on shifting was interesting, but may truck driving days paid off with the techniques to double clutch and sync all those speeds. Then TKO recommended some carbon synchronizers and things got better/easier. Guys I race with have had many new trannys in their cars and always carry a spare. At year 15 my original TKO lost 3rd gear in a spectacular fashion. Other than changing the synchronizers that was first failure. Most of the guys in my class have regular T5 failures even with all the super gear sets and high dollar rebuilds. My 65 has more than another 100 HP than the race car since there are no rules. So I think I will try the TKX for it.

11/13/2020 10:14 AM  #9

The early TKOs used brass synchros, which was truly a boneheaded move from Tremec.  The issue is that they run in ATF and brass was geared toward heavy gear oil.  The brass rings didn't retain the fluid well enough to effectively slow the speed gear.  The newer carbon lined rings pretty much solved those issues. 

When you race you're typically going to break stuff, no matter how strong.  You have all the things required, traction, power, and hard use.  At some point even the strongest design will fail due to fatigue.  The oil constantly being hot eventually bakes the temper out of the gears and one fails at a load level lower than it should take to break it.  I used to see broken M22s a lot due to this.  The first guy said "I was only..." and I smirked "yeah, sure", but after three or four came in broken with the same story I dug deeper and discovered the hardness issue.  I had a couple gears Magnafluxed and they had all manner of surface problems that the NOS gears I had on the shelf didn't have.  Eventually the aftermarket started making new gears and gave the Rockcrusher a new lease on life because baring that they were going to be relics that were correct for the high performance cars, but that you didn't dare push for fear of breakage.

This is also why hardcore racing programs change out parts at certain intervals to prevent failure.  They've determined when the part is likely to fail and simply get it out of service before it can happen.  There are places that sell these parts for fairly reasonable prices.  A set of used NASCAR con rods for instance may be a budget ticket for that 550HP engine you're building.  The team doesn't trust them to spin 9,000RPM and make 850HP, but in your engine they'll do fine because the stresses are so much less. 

I'm definitely interested in a report on the TKX.  Its pretty groundbreaking really.  Its the first clean sheet design Tremec has done since the 3550 in the mid '90s.  The TKO was just an upgraded 3550, and the current TK500 and TK600 are based off the TKO.  It seemed 5 speeds fell out of favor with so many variations of the T56 available,  but I think the 5 speed still has a good place, especially where swaps are concerned, because the T56 is too big to be swap friendly, and too long for certain short wheelbase applications. 

11/13/2020 1:51 PM  #10

Yea the first TKO I had was a 3550 with a TKO tag on it which meant it was supposed to have upgraded steel in the gears and such. And yes it got shifted at 7500 with a strong arm and lasted a lot of years and it also got hard down shifts which is when the 3rd finally let go. The only time it was apart was to put in the carbon synchros and it went several more years until 3rd said enough! I always ran the GM synchro fluid in it based one where I bought it. I sat in the paddock a lot of Saturday evenings dinking beer watching my competition change out T5's for the Sunday race.

11/13/2020 2:44 PM  #11

They must not have been very good.  You'd think with a lot of practice they'd have swapping a T5 down to an hour.  I can have the transaxle out of my Subaru in an hour and that's a much more complex task, and that was without a lift. 

I also still submit that whoever was building their T5s just didn't know what they were doing.  I've numerous ones I built in all manner of racing and yet to have an issue.  Its not just about putting tougher gears in them.  If that's all you do I promise they will still fail because the root cause of the failure was probably not addressed.  I also see guys swap parts for "better" ones that aren't better and live shorter lives than OEM ones would based on bad information.

Don't get me wrong, for racing, if class rules allow I would run the toughest trans I could afford, and that's what the TKO line was built for. 

IME whether a trans lives or not has little to do with the trans and everything to do with the driver.  Proper clutch selection and making sure the clutch is actually fully releasing is also hugely important. 

11/13/2020 8:55 PM  #12

Road racing in this part of the woods is quite tough. The competitors and the tracks are very challenging for the hardware. I am going on my direct data and it says the T5 ain't up to 500HP, or 430HP in a 3300 pound car on a tough road course being chased by the best. My situation is that I am not willing to swap trannys every weekend to to keep things going. The TKO does that nicely and I am still there to keep those guy honest. And most importantly, Have fun without crazy amount  of work.

11/13/2020 8:56 PM  #13

Considering that I am going to be converting from a C4 I rather have something that can handle the torque on a side note modern drive live is close no shipping

11/14/2020 6:55 AM  #14

DC wrote:

Road racing in this part of the woods is quite tough. The competitors and the tracks are very challenging for the hardware. I am going on my direct data and it says the T5 ain't up to 500HP, or 430HP in a 3300 pound car on a tough road course being chased by the best. My situation is that I am not willing to swap trannys every weekend to to keep things going. The TKO does that nicely and I am still there to keep those guy honest. And most importantly, Have fun without crazy amount  of work.

We're not going to reach an agreement on this, because the fact that not a single T5 I built for any racing application, including D1 drift racing, which is brutal on transmissions, ever came back says that if the builder knows what he's doing they can work.  Now it could be a lack of anyone getting back to me and just going to another trans.  As I knew these would be used for racing I was always clear that there was no warranty on them, but that doesn't mean anything to some people. 

Don't get me wrong, the Tremec from an inherent strength standpoint is a superior design, basically because Tremec learned so much from the T5.  They moved the shafts further apart to prevent case flex, they beefed up the mainshaft to prevent flex, they made the gears larger and from better material, and eventually mandated you swap to a 26 spline input shaft to prevent failures.  But there's still a fair amount of T5 in there.  They used the needle roller bearings under the speed gears, the high strength/low weight case design, the internal rail shifting, the 5/R layout & design, and ran them in ATF.  They should have copied the synchro design too, but I'm wondering if there was patent issues that prevented it, as I can't remember exactly when they acquired the T5, but I'm pretty sure in the early years it was still made by Borg/Warner as Tremec was making the 3550 and original TKO. 

Last edited by TKOPerformance (11/14/2020 7:16 PM)

11/14/2020 5:25 PM  #15

WOW DC.....I'm surprised  the T-5 was /is used for a road racing application in the first place.I would have guessed a
High Tower or Liberty 4 speed racing tranny(or equivalent) would have been preferred. (unless the T-5 was mandated or sump'in!)
Sure hope UR planning a trip to Texas this year for the MSB Bash.
6sally6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

11/14/2020 7:20 PM  #16

Used quite a lot actually.  The countershaft support plates that are now common and popular came specifically from road racing where guys were experiencing 5th gear failures on long straights pulling 5th gear at high MPH and RPM.  The original plate was designed by either JTR (Jaguars That Run) or 5speeds.com, depending on who you believe.  Most of the ones out there now are knock offs made in China if you buy them from eBay, etc. 

11/14/2020 8:25 PM  #17

TKO, I am just saying the TKO is better than the T5 because it has larger centerline which gives it more margin for standing up to racing.with drivers that don't have the best honed technique. It allows me to go fly kites with my kids/grandkids on afternoons at the track instead of swapping out the gearbox that I abused earlier that day. I ran a T5 for several years for the same reason in my MG Midget. I built a special super close ratio T5 that lasted for 7 years and still going strong when I sold the car. the MG was a 1500 pound car with me in it and was at most 130 HP. The last year I ran that car we were undefeated. 1st gear was higher than a normal 2nd and I had to drive around the paddock in reverse. I run what works for me. Oh, I never use 5th in my car, I run a 4:10 or 4:30 rear on most tracks around here and still never see 5th.

11/15/2020 6:52 AM  #18

No argument at all.  I would never say the design of the T5 was as good as the TKO; if it was I'd wonder why Tremec had sold so many TKOs.  Like I said, its an inherently better design, part of that owing the the fact that they moved the shafts farther apart.  This allowed the gears to be physically larger, and larger gears have a larger tooth contact area, which maintains proper gear mesh better when torque starts flexing the case, mainshaft, etc.  Tremec was also not constrained by cost to the extent Borg/Warner had been when choosing gear material.  This allowed them to use a better alloy, which further improved strength. 

What I'm saying is that the T5 can be made to live under the same HP/torque/traction as a TKO if its built properly.  Cost wise its probably a wash on the trans, but there are typically savings not having to swap other parts you have to change when going to a Tremec.  Also there are times when class rules prevent you from being able to run a trans that was not factory installed in the chassis you are running.

Another major factor is driver skill.  A bad driver can break anything, and I'd bet a lot of those guys breaking their built T5s would find a way to break a TKO. 

11/15/2020 12:34 PM  #19

DC wrote:

I run what works for me. Oh, I never use 5th in my car, I run a 4:10 or 4:30 rear on most tracks around here and still never see 5th.

So why not a 4 speed then?! Better gear spread in the T-5?!!
Just wondering......
6s6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

11/15/2020 3:11 PM  #20

The rules I run to spec the ratios. They are basically the T5 ratios from the Fox body days. The easily available 4 speeds T10s  M22s and such seem to die too. It took me almost 15 years to break a TKO so I will stick with that. Yes there would be a weight advantage to a most 4-speeds but the ones that hold up well enough are very pricey! There are a couple of hoses now making correct ratio gear sets for them. 

11/15/2020 4:37 PM  #21

Having also extensively rebuilt/built a variety of 4 speeds I can tell you that the weight savings vs. a T5 are pretty insignificant.  A T5 weighs about 68lbs dry.  Most of the 4 speeds that could take the abuse are within 10lbs of that weight.  The TKO is also not terribly heavy.  Total weight savings vs. a 4 speed would probably still be only 15lbs.  20 at the most.  You could go to something exotic, but as DC said, the cost wouldn't be justified.  There are Jericos that have magnesium cases and weigh about 40lbs, but you're looking at $5k or more.

The T10s and M22s all had the issue of being old and ended up with gear failures due to fatigue.  Now you can buy/build a brand new M22 with improved parts, but cost wise the built T5 or TKO is still going to be cheaper, especially because you don't have to adapt a GM trans to a Ford.  There may still be new T10s being built, but no idea what their torque handling ability is.  Super T10s were used in racing extensively, but its still a very dated design.  Given the choice I'd rather run a more modern trans that will shift quicker and has better parts availability. 

11/15/2020 7:52 PM  #22

As I sit here I've been enjoying everyones viewpoints, and my biggest concern with the T5 has been the power and torque rating, really that is why I haven't pulled the trigger on one. Now comes along TKX really it fills all the checkmark for me . can handle a bunch of torque and you can beat on it.  ( hopefully) we will see

11/15/2020 8:27 PM  #23

DC wrote:

Anyone think one of these will fit in a 65 or 66 without major tunnel surgery? They look pretty round on top. they look like the older versions of the 5 speed with the rounded end load case. Might have to try one.

Not sure if you've seen this but they show size comparison vs T5 and TKO

https://americanpowertrain.com/the-all-new-tremec-tkx-is-here/

11/16/2020 6:12 AM  #24

Interesting, it seems to actually be a little more compact that either the T5 or the TKO.  I'd like to tear one apart, because its pretty obvious that the design is a fairly radical departure.  One thing that immediately leaps out at me is that it seems like it has a midplate like a T10/M20/M21/M22. 

I still think I'd wait a bit on buying one.  My thoughts on anything new is let other people be the guinea pig. 

11/16/2020 2:06 PM  #25

Yea TKO I hear you on waiting, but I don't need to buy till mid next year so hoping to see some in action before then.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.