FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/12/2020 6:52 PM  #1

66 mustang fiberglass trunk lid with molded in spoiler questions

Hey everyone. I have been wanting to get one of these for my mustang for a while. Back when I was looking at these they were pricey around $450. Now it looks like places want like $800-$900 shipped which is rediculous if you ask me.

Has anyone made their own?  Ive never worked with fiberglass before but am wondering how hard it would be to do this. 

Or if anyone knows where to get a decently priced one 

Thanks.

11/12/2020 7:17 PM  #2

Re: 66 mustang fiberglass trunk lid with molded in spoiler questions

11/12/2020 7:46 PM  #3

I can. A buddy of mine makes them for Stang-Aholics. He is a master craftsman, and a really good guy.

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

11/12/2020 8:13 PM  #4

a friend of mine , who is building a 66 FB, bought a pair of the fender extensions with the spoiler parts made into them, if memory serves me right they were fiberglass. he had a spoiler made out of metal and welded on the trunk lid. it turned out really well.

11/12/2020 8:30 PM  #5

Bearing Bob wrote:

I can. A buddy of mine makes them for Stang-Aholics. He is a master craftsman, and a really good guy.

There you go!

11/13/2020 6:25 AM  #6

I think making your own would probably cost as much or more than buying one.  The learning curve can be steep with fiberglass as well.  The shops that are making them are using permanent molds, chopped strand guns, etc.  You could certainly build a mold out of wood and make a one off, but my gut tells me you would have several hundred dollars in wood for the mold, resin, etc.  That assumes you have all the woodworking tools needed to build the mold too.  There are also special tools needed to work with fiberglass on this scale (metal roller, etc.). 

With anything fiberglass I would be prepared for fitment work.  Its very rare a fiberglass part just bolts right on without issue.  If you're dead set on this course I would go with the one from Stangaholics as recommended, and factor in the cost of paint and fitup at the body shop of your choice. 

11/13/2020 7:23 AM  #7

I had gotten mine from Meyer Racing  I think back in 2008, It was for 66 coupe, had the end caps blended into rear quarters, paint guys did spend alot of time block sanding lid, still looks as good today, 

11/13/2020 9:32 AM  #8

Jim Bowie wrote:

I had gotten mine from Meyer Racing  I think back in 2008, It was for 66 coupe, had the end caps blended into rear quarters, paint guys did spend alot of time block sanding lid, still looks as good today, 

Even the best fiberglass is going to need a lot of blocking to be smooth due to the way it comes out of the mold (the body shop will factor that in, they know glass needs a lot of blocking).  Meyer has a good reputation as well, so that's another source you can try.

11/13/2020 10:49 AM  #9

Jim Bowie wrote:

I had gotten mine from Meyer Racing  I think back in 2008, It was for 66 coupe, had the end caps blended into rear quarters, paint guys did spend a lot of time block sanding lid, still looks as good today, 

Yep!!!......it sure does..........
6s6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

11/13/2020 8:33 PM  #10

I have been looking for a nice original 66 fastback decklid for over 25 years now.   If you do go fiberglas, and have an extra 66 decklid, and want to sell, let me know!

There are two fastbacks currently at a restoration shop near me right now. Both have those decklids.  Just my opinion, but neither one looks right.  I have seen others that looked pretty good, on a couple of race cars I have seen.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

11/14/2020 2:39 AM  #11

Thanks for all the info. I have the coupe. It looks like the stang aholics one you have to buy the side pieces separately. I’ll have to check out maier.

One thing I was thinking is my dad has a 68 ca special. I was wondering about going over and making some cardboard templates. For the curves of the fiberglass spoiler. And then taking my trunk lid and grind down to bare metal and take some thin wire material that I can bend. And tac weld up the shape with then cover with some thin sheet metal. To give it a completed look.  As for the side caps i was thinking of just leaving them as is. And extending the spoiler part over them so it looks like it would with the fiberglass ones. When it’s closed but when you open it it’s one whole piece.

Has anyone seen anything like that done at all?  Not sure how it would look.  but I thought might be kinda cool.

11/14/2020 10:32 AM  #12

I like the idea of making your own metal decklid spoiler.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

11/14/2020 4:26 PM  #13

MS wrote:

I like the idea of making your own metal decklid spoiler.

As you were saying....

https://www.vintage-mustang.com/threads/my-homemade-gt-cs-steel-decklid.1184681/#post-10412268

11/14/2020 4:43 PM  #14

I like all kinds of metal fabb'in (it's why I am a big fan of Daze)....The VMF thread metal one...looked like the fiberglass one!
I like!!

One question.........where does the rain water/car wash water go? Only question I have ever had about these types of spoilers.
6sal6(jus say'in)

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

11/14/2020 8:07 PM  #15

If you've got the skills, go for it. If you don't, you will when you're done with it.

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

11/15/2020 9:36 AM  #16

Awesome thanks for the link. That is kinda what I’m talking about doing. I don’t have a ton of fab experience but I can weld and I’ve got some determination i think I’ll see what I can do before deciding to drop that amount of cash. Ill add it to my project list. And will post pics to keep y’all updated.

Thanks

11/15/2020 12:31 PM  #17

Well.........you know what "they say.".........about welders, right?
    They are just metal fabricators........with their brains kicked out!
Go fer it and let your mind run wild!! You'll make sump'in that you will be proud of!!
Keep us in -the-loop! (love pitcherz!)
6sally6

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.