FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/15/2020 6:09 PM  #1

PART 2 STARTS DRY (NO FUEL) CHOKE DROPS?

ok so I think I got the "Dry Pump Shot" straightened out......from the earlier post I simply took compressed air to all the fuel ports and attempted to clean the check valve area....I didnt have starting issues since but just in case I also installed a one way valve in the fuel line......

BUT

Can someone explain why my Edel AVS2 Choke Linkage and Flap Drop EASILY once the car is running?????  I mean if you were to even tap the throttle immediately after starting it, and the idle picks up to warm up the car it will fall open, then stall.......
car shuts off, tap the throttle it closes again...............when off, everything is tight and functions properly, flap tightly springs to the closed position.......

am I the only freakin person that experiences these Hauntings?  I always present abnormal occurrences.

11/15/2020 6:53 PM  #2

Re: PART 2 STARTS DRY (NO FUEL) CHOKE DROPS?

Have you adjusted the choke thermostat so the choke barely closes tight when the throttle is moved at ambient temperature?

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

11/16/2020 12:45 AM  #3

MS wrote:

Have you adjusted the choke thermostat so the choke barely closes tight when the throttle is moved at ambient temperature?

Yes, it's open a small slit when cold and off....when the car starts and builds up RPM, it opens more automatically.....if I don't touch the throttle at all, it will warm up at higher idle ect ect.  But the instant I tap the throttle it nearly opens entirely, and I'm even talking within seconds to 10s, 30, a min. There's no gradual idle decrease as the choke warms up as it should be...

it's the strangest thing cause everything snaps shut and closes properly and tight with the thing off.
I have even been turning it to the "Richer" position (tighter)in stages thinking it required more tension/time to open, and nothing.
It doesn't make any friggin sense.

11/16/2020 9:59 AM  #4

Small slit when cold and off...

Maybe adjust that to eliminate the slit and make it close shut. That will help to make it “come off choke” a little slower.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

11/16/2020 11:26 AM  #5

Ok I will give it a go, but if memory serves me correctly, it doesn't like starting completely shut...

But will this explain why it drops OFF completely seconds after starting AT high idle? 

I wish I could send a video, it describes everything

Last edited by M1Mustang69 (11/16/2020 2:52 PM)

11/16/2020 7:22 PM  #6

It seems to me that the choke valve lever is not connected to the thermostat spring inside the choke cover cap allowing it to flop open all the way.

70, ragtop 351W/416 stroker Edel Performer heads w pro flow 4, Comp roller 35-421-8. T5

11/16/2020 7:40 PM  #7

HudginJ3 wrote:

It seems to me that the choke valve lever is not connected to the thermostat spring inside the choke cover cap allowing it to flop open all the way.

^^this

11/16/2020 8:05 PM  #8

josh-kebob wrote:

HudginJ3 wrote:

^^this

No, Incorrect.
The issue is NOT the choke CLOSING.......it's staying closed while the car is started and when it's running.

Car off, the choke literally opperates perfectly, snaps shut, idle screw is resting at the highest part of the cam, the flap is tight and springs back closed if opened.

When the Car is Running, and this can be immediate, if the throttle is tapped (hoping to reposition the choke to a slightly lesser cold start-high idle) it just drops the Cam and the Choke Plate Opens entirely. 

If you shut the car off, tap the gas it shuts again....makes no sense!

11/17/2020 8:47 AM  #9

I'm not familiar with the Edelbrook carb, but from what you've stated it seems the vacuum through the main body is overcoming the spring in the choke body.  I suggest checking inside the choke housing, the tab that the choke coil attaches to the choke linkage may be the issue.

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

11/17/2020 9:03 AM  #10

BobE wrote:

I'm not familiar with the Edelbrook carb, but from what you've stated it seems the vacuumthrough the main body is overcoming the spring in the choke body.  I suggest checking inside the choke housing, the tab that the choke coil attaches to the choke linkage may be the issue.

That's exactly what I was thinking, but that spring is tight. Snaps shut.....and I can't adjust it any tighter otherwise it won't open all the way....

As far as how it grabs the linkage, it was just the style that rests against it, so thinking as you are, I made a loop so it grabs the pin-------no room for it to travel independently.

11/17/2020 11:19 AM  #11

M1Mustang69 wrote:

BobE wrote:

I'm not familiar with the Edelbrook carb, but from what you've stated it seems the vacuumthrough the main body is overcoming the spring in the choke body.  I suggest checking inside the choke housing, the tab that the choke coil attaches to the choke linkage may be the issue.

That's exactly what I was thinking, but that spring is tight. Snaps shut.....and I can't adjust it any tighter otherwise it won't open all the way....

As far as how it grabs the linkage, it was just the style that rests against it, so thinking as you are, I made a loop so it grabs the pin-------no room for it to travel independently.

gif upload site

11/17/2020 1:23 PM  #12

Thanks Josh, or Mr.Kebob.

I have this both printed and digital.....were you able to find "closed tight choke flops open immediately after cold start?"

I couldn't........

11/17/2020 4:07 PM  #13

Not yet but my experience with eddy carbs is to set them up per their obstruction and/or double check your work against their instructions for best results.

Did this just start happening or after some carb work? Perhaps Linda Blair established residence in your carb...

11/17/2020 7:02 PM  #14

Did this right from the Box.........I just have been finally taking the time to address it......as long as I dont touch the gas for 2-3min after starting, it will HIGH IDLE warm up enough so that it wont stall after choke opens.......

Its just sucks knowing its not operating properly and the car is loud so it is inconvenient for the neighbours!

11/17/2020 7:57 PM  #15

At this point, I'd call edelbrock tech support. They have an 800 number. Let them scratch their heads and give yours a rest. To me, sounds like something wasn't assembled correctly since it's been like this right out da box. I'd go so far as to take pics of the choke linkage for them to look at it. Worth a shot especially after what that carb cost you.

Last edited by josh-kebob (11/17/2020 7:58 PM)

11/18/2020 11:02 AM  #16

Good idea

11/20/2020 11:34 PM  #17

M1Mustang69 wrote:

josh-kebob wrote:

HudginJ3 wrote:

^^this

No, Incorrect.
The issue is NOT the choke CLOSING.......it's staying closed while the car is started and when it's running.

Car off, the choke literally opperates perfectly, snaps shut, idle screw is resting at the highest part of the cam, the flap is tight and springs back closed if opened.

When the Car is Running, and this can be immediate, if the throttle is tapped (hoping to reposition the choke to a slightly lesser cold start-high idle) it just drops the Cam and the Choke Plate Opens entirely.

From what I have read it sounds as the ele choke is not set up correct. When a ele choke is working properly you can turn it clockwise and it will  start to close the flap, or counter clokwise and it will open it. It does not need to be set farther than just closed.  The 12v key on will heat the spring and start to open the flap in just a couple of minutes. if set up right the choke can pull off of the detent and the carb will drop down to idle. Do all of the adjusting with the car off and  carb set at WOT . you should be able to open and close the flap just by turning the black choke mod clockwise or counter clockwise. If this isnt happing then the spring inside is not on the tab ( there is a tab inside that hooks on a flat tab that is connected the the flap by a short rod) or the rod is not on the back side and is hanging up. 
let me know I am pretty good wit elde carbs and live in the NW where we need chokes.

Slammed Big Blue, ran over the varmints that messed with the Stang. Now all is good in the NW

11/21/2020 3:17 AM  #18

Cab4word67 wrote:

M1Mustang69 wrote:

josh-kebob wrote:

^^this

No, Incorrect.

From what I have read it sounds as the ele choke is not set up correct. When a ele choke is working properly you can turn it clockwise and it will  start to close the flap, or counter clokwise and it will open it. It does not need to be set farther than just closed.  The 12v key on will heat the spring and start to open the flap in just a couple of minutes. if set up right the choke can pull off of the detent and the carb will drop down to idle. Do all of the adjusting with the car off and  carb set at WOT . you should be able to open and close the flap just by turning the black choke mod clockwise or counter clockwise. If this isnt happing then the spring inside is not on the tab ( there is a tab inside that hooks on a flat tab that is connected the the flap by a short rod) or the rod is not on the back side and is hanging up. 
let me know I am pretty good wit elde carbs and live in the NW where we need chokes.

WOW awesome, that was a great response! 
All Steps and functions are correct, accept for 1, WOT. I did not know you set the choke at WOT?
in Fact I didn't think it was possible to, looking back on how it operates, I'm under the impression the linkages won't allow the choke to close with the throttle in any position other than resting idle-------but I'm going to revisit this cause now I'm curious....if the proper way to set the AVS2 choke is at WOT, I missed that step! 
Ty Can't

(Fyi I made a loop on the choke spring tab so it will "Hug" the Choke Linkage Tab to rule out any error in that area)

11/21/2020 11:11 AM  #19

Yes I could have been mistaken on the WOT but its been a while. I just remember something about it hanging up? I too will look. found it it was for ajusting the fast idle screw. Im bad. 
But realy the choke should not "snap shut" as he is discribing

Last edited by Cab4word67 (11/21/2020 11:16 AM)

Slammed Big Blue, ran over the varmints that messed with the Stang. Now all is good in the NW

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.