FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/16/2020 6:21 PM  #1

dip stick

can someone give me some ideas as to why the dip stick keeps jumping out of the tube? 302W , PVC valve is on the valve cover and breather on the other one. lots and lots of miles on the engine I put new rings and bearings in it some 20K miles back it just started this about 6 years ago or about 5K miles ago.

11/16/2020 6:56 PM  #2

Re: dip stick

Usually it is a sign of high crankcase positive pressure. What is the vacuum source for the PCV?

11/16/2020 6:58 PM  #3

Might be a candidate for a Wagner adjustable PCV.
http://mewagner.com/

"Those telephone poles were like a picket fence"

11/17/2020 5:59 AM  #4

Are you sure it’s not from vibration?
Especially if engine is healthy and 50 year old dipstick.

Is it loose when installed?

Last edited by Nos681 (11/17/2020 6:01 AM)

11/17/2020 6:50 AM  #5

What is retaining it?  Is it just the old slip fit metal to metal style?  With age these tend to get loose, and if you notice new vehicles have been using o-rings on the dipsticks to prevent them from backing out since the '90s. 

11/17/2020 7:16 AM  #6

Is it the right dip stick?  If it's too long the "extra" length will act as a spring against the pan when it's fully pushed in

Founding Member of the Perpetually Bewildered Society

11/18/2020 6:24 AM  #7

These are the dipsticks I used on my 289 and C4.
When i swapped engines, I purchased the same dipstick for 5.0.
I’m using the new tube with the old dipstick...old logo on handle looked better to me.

I suspected the old dipstick was vibrating loose as engine was rebuilt.
Living in middle of dusty farmland made me look for better options.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.