FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/20/2020 3:11 AM  #1

Convex door mirrors or flat door mirrors

I am about to order a new set of door mirrors and saw that I can get convex as an option.
Have any of you guys had any experience with the convex? What might be the pros and cons? What are they like with reversing the car into a parking spot?
Thanks,

Last edited by Toploader (11/20/2020 3:12 AM)

1964-1/2 D Code Coupe - 289 V8, 4 Speed Toploader, 3.00 ratio rear, Autolite 4100 Carb, 15" tires, Pertronix ignition

11/20/2020 5:10 AM  #2

Re: Convex door mirrors or flat door mirrors

A flat rear view mirror reflects the true space behind your car with respect to distances. However, the disadvantage is that the area behind you covered by them is smaller. A convex mirror covers a greater area, but doesn't reflect the true distances - that's why those mirrors contain the warning "objects in the mirror are closer than they appear" - at least in the US. I'm located in Europe and modern cars all have convex mirrors without any warning engraved here.
I changed my Mustang's door mirror from flat to convex and feel more safe to change lanes now (because of the greater area covered by them). No difference when parking since I always turn my head for that.  

1967 Mustang Hardtop, 289 2V (Autolite 2100), C4, AC, Power Steering, Power Drum Brakes

11/20/2020 6:49 AM  #3

I'll bet a large part of the reason the convex mirrors no longer contain the warning is that almost every vehicle now has a backup assist system, and many also now have cameras. 

I'm used to tow mirrors that have both types of mirror, as that's what I drive every day.  My Mustang mirrors are just regular flat, and the rear visibility, especially on a fastback, is pretty bad, so convex might not be a bad way to go. 

11/20/2020 7:48 AM  #4

Convex for the passenger side.  On my daily driver (flat mirror) I installed a small convex mirror so I can see in the "blind spot".  IMO option, a definite need, especially on the highway.
My Mustang, flat mirrors on both sides.  As TKO stated, visibility is pretty bad. 

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

11/20/2020 9:19 AM  #5

When my SIL was part owner of an automotive trim shop he ordered a convex rear view mirror blank and cut it to size to fit my 68’s passenger side mirror.
The blank  was big enough to eliminate the “objects are closer” disclosure.
I like the increased field of view, seems safer to me.

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

11/20/2020 1:36 PM  #6

Convex on the passenger side and flat on the driver side.  Much better coverage for the blind spot on the right.  I have gotten used to the difference in image and actually, but I have been driving sports cars for decades and they came that way.

Original owner - 351w,T-5, 4whl disks, power R&P

11/20/2020 3:52 PM  #7

Thanks guys. I think I will go for convex on both sides.

1964-1/2 D Code Coupe - 289 V8, 4 Speed Toploader, 3.00 ratio rear, Autolite 4100 Carb, 15" tires, Pertronix ignition

11/20/2020 7:46 PM  #8

Flat on DS convex on PS. The reason is that you are closer to the DS. If you adjust it to see into the lane next to you you'll have to twist your head to see over there but when a car is coming up next you you will automatically see it and be able to see it all the way till it is past you with your side vision and your mirror in real size and distance. The mirror on the PS will give you the same image but look farther away.

70, ragtop 351W/416 stroker Edel Performer heads w pro flow 4, Comp roller 35-421-8. T5

11/21/2020 12:35 AM  #9

I ended up ordering convex for both, so hopefully it will be ok. I need greater visibility as the standard mirrors are a bit of a joke.

11/21/2020 7:48 AM  #10

IMO, you are going to hate that convex mirror on the drivers side.  Maybe not but I think you will.

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

11/21/2020 7:58 AM  #11

I was thinking about a convex on the passenger side but I went with flat

65 coupe, 351w, c4, power disk brakes, power r&p, vintage air.

11/21/2020 5:10 PM  #12

Bullet Bob wrote:

IMO, you are going to hate that convex mirror on the drivers side.  Maybe not but I think you will.

Well... I placed the order just the other day, so I hope you are wrong.
It will be interesting to see, but I think I've been needing a much wider angle of view on both sides. I use the internal mirror and also shoulder check.
Time will tell I guess.

11/22/2020 6:31 AM  #13

Late to the party but I ran flat on the driver's side for a while.  Couldn't see the blind spot very well.  The ccnvex mirror on the driver's side helped a lot with that.  You'll get used to it - the "ear muffs" where the top meets the rear quarters really limit rear visibility to the sides (especially in a convertible with the top up) and for those of us who are older and don't flex as far when we turn and look, the convex mirrors make it a little easier to confirm that there's nothing there before pulling out or making a lane change or turn.

Founding Member of the Perpetually Bewildered Society

11/22/2020 7:25 AM  #14

Toploader wrote:

I ended up ordering convex for both, so hopefully it will be ok. I need greater visibility as the standard mirrors are a bit of a joke.

I agree with you completely.  I put convex mirrors on my '68 on both sides back in 2013.  These mirrors actually have a field of view that is useful.  The small flat glass mirrors have a pathetic field of view.  You will be much happier with the convex mirrors.

1968 T-code Coupe with a 302.  Nice car, no show stopper for sure, but I like it.

11/22/2020 2:19 PM  #15

That's reassuring Rufus and John, thanks for sharing your experience.

11/24/2020 6:47 AM  #16

I now have the convex mirrors. I haven't had a chance to install them, but they seem ok quality. I believe I paid the higher price for these, so I'm hoping they stand the test of time. They are Scott Drake brand and I would prefer it wasn't this brand, but I couldn't find anything else.
One thing that I did notice after opening the boxes was that the mirror pivot could be tighter on one of them. I wondered if there is a way to make the mirror pivots stiffer and more resistant to movement?

11/24/2020 8:52 AM  #17

Mine are also Scott Drake brand.  I neglected to keep my mirrors coated with any type of protectant and they have pitted a little from winter moisture.  My advice is to polish the mirrors a few times a year.

Regarding the pivots, both of mine were tight.

1968 T-code Coupe with a 302.  Nice car, no show stopper for sure, but I like it.

11/24/2020 2:14 PM  #18

Rufus68 wrote:

Mine are also Scott Drake brand.  I neglected to keep my mirrors coated with any type of protectant and they have pitted a little from winter moisture.  My advice is to polish the mirrors a few times a year.

Regarding the pivots, both of mine were tight.

Mine are not exactly loose, but the one mirror does feel it should be tighter. Especially when you factor in car movement, wind etc...
I wonder if there is something to put on the pivot to stiffen things up?
The mirrors that I'm taking off the car are loose and will not hold position. I just don't want these to go that same way.

11/26/2020 5:52 AM  #19

I spoke to the classic car manager at Scott Drake yesterday and he says that nothing can be done with loose mirror pivots and they have never had an issue in many years.
Has anyone on the forum hear had issues with loose mirror pivots on new mirrors?
The one mirror I have is only just a little loose. It seems looser than the other mirror, so I'm just concerned at this stage. If there is a way to tighten these up, that would be great.

11/26/2020 6:58 AM  #20

If it were me, i would request a replacement for the loose one while new.

The way i look at it, it’s not going to improve with age...like us!🤣

11/26/2020 8:29 AM  #21

Nos681 wrote:

LOL, couldn't agree more.

Toploader - this may not help your current situation, but as a alternative, look at Fatties Mirrors (haganauto.com), they may have a mirror, or provide technical assistance, to resolve your questions.

11/26/2020 2:34 PM  #22

Nos681 wrote:

I'm really in too minds about it. I wonder how firm the pivot should be and will replacing it give me anything better than what I already have?

11/26/2020 2:36 PM  #23

BobE wrote:

Toploader - this may not help your current situation, but as a alternative, look at Fatties Mirrors (haganauto.com), they may have a mirror, or provide technical assistance, to resolve your questions.

These look way better quality than the Scott Drake ones. I wish I had of seen these before I ordered mine. Thanks Bob E

11/26/2020 2:38 PM  #24

If you guys are able to, can you check your mirrors and report back on how tight the pivots are? I want to make sure that I am not being unrealistic. Thanks

11/29/2020 2:22 PM  #25

I have the 3.5" diameter bullet style mirrors purchased from Mustang's Plus in 2007.  The pivots for both mirrors are still in fine shape.

IMO - if the pivot is more loose on one mirror than the other, i do not think you're being unrealistic, and would to suggest talking to the vender about the situation.  Explain that you're concerned that the condition may get worse with time and would like a replacement.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.